Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Please help me edit my short list of Venice restaurants

Jun 26th, 2003, 04:49 PM
Original Poster

I will be in Venice for 3 days in Sept. please help me edit my restaurant list.
da Raffle
Vinni di Gigio
Corte Sconta( afraid the prices are too high???)
da Ignazio & Ai Gondelieri
Any comments about the menu, ambiance & prices would be helpful.
Thanks Fluffy
Jun 26th, 2003, 04:54 PM
Original Poster

I should have mentioned, I would like to try to keep it between $50-$75 p.p. with wine.
Thanks
Fluffy
Jun 26th, 2003, 05:42 PM

Hi Fluffy. By the way, love the name! What's the origin? In my house, we're all "fluffy", if you get my drift!

In April, we ate at Da Raefaele on our first night in Venice. The food was good, not exceptional, but they do have tables canalside, which is exceptional! Also, the wine was quite nice and overall, it was a lovely meal. By the way, the restaurant is located behind the Do Pozzi hotel, if that means anything to you. Also, it is part of the group which owns the Do Pozzi, the Ala and the Pensione Accademia, so, if you're staying at one of those hotels, they give you a discount on your meal.

On our last night, we were going to eat at Al Gondolieri in the Dorseduro(sp?), which I understand specializes in meat. It was highly recommended by the desk clerk at the Accademia and looked quite nice when we walked by. Unfortunatley, I came down with strep throat, so we ate sandwiches in the room on our last night.

I do not recall prices being extreme at either restaurant.

Have a great trip!
Jun 26th, 2003, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

Iregeo-thanks for your comments.
The short story behind my pet name Fluffy, is from the night I met my fiance', he insinuated I was a bit of a snob, and I said "I'm just a fluffy girl" hence the name.

Sorry about your last night in Venice sounds like a bummer.I am staying a the Ala, so that helps,I will eat 1 night at da Raffle( rec. by Bob the Navigator).
Thanks again
Fluffy
Jun 27th, 2003, 04:48 AM

My very favorite in Venice is Alle Testiere. The food is delicious. The restaurant is very small so reservations are necessary.
Jun 27th, 2003, 05:17 AM

Hi
I have been to Da Rafaelle on each of my trips to Venice. It is more than the sum of its parts, as long as you can sit outside. It's not THE best food or wine and the decor inside isn't memorable, but it is a great value place to go. You will remember sitting alongside the canal. Not unknown to tourists, but not a tourist trap. Well within your price ranges, but you will note that ordering fish as a main course almost everywhere in Venice will push the price of your meal up.

I haven't been to Da Ignazio yet, but it's on my list. Has an outdoor patio, but not on the water.
Jun 27th, 2003, 06:39 AM

I can't resist adding one choice for a lunch to end all lunches. Take a late lunch (but not too late) at the Metropole Hotel buffet. More food than you can eat, a million choices, and well prepared. Normally I don't like buffets, but this one is so well done it is worth going. I know this isn't on your list, so pardon my intrusion if it wasn't wanted. Have fun.
Jun 27th, 2003, 06:53 AM

Fluffy,

I was very disappointed with Ai Gondolieri. I believe I wrote a review on Rants & Raves. The room is not terribly attractive, the service I thought was a bit pretentious, and the food not all that special (I had a beef dish). My husband ordered a bottle of wine which they were out of. The alternative they suggested was much more expensive. I would give it a miss.

What I would recommend considering is a place called Avogaria. We didn't eat there but happened to pass it on one of our walks (and then couldn't find it again!) It's evidently new and looked very modern inside (no outside dining). Someone else on this board posted having eaten there and said it was excellent with mostly locals.

Our friends ate at La Rivista in the Ca' Pisani hotel and said that was excellent.
Jun 27th, 2003, 07:05 AM
DRJ

It was probably me that recommended Avogaria. It is in a remote corner of Dorsoduro. Here's the route: walking from the Accademia area toward Campo Santa Margharita, as you enter Campo Barnaba take a left and follow that calle for quite a way. When you cross the bridge it will be straight ahead on your left in a couple of hundred feet. Smashing interior, good food, wine and service. You will be the only non local. 041 2960491. Ciao.
Jun 27th, 2003, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone all comments are welcome, my list keeps getting bigger...what to do???
Fluffy
Jun 27th, 2003, 07:13 AM

Wayne,
How much was the buffet at the Metropole?
Jun 27th, 2003, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

I forgot to ask, are Alle Testiere or Vinni di Gigo within easy walking distance to the hotel Ala?
I was thinking I could try one for lunch the day I arrive.
Thanks again
Fluffy
Jun 27th, 2003, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Dale thanks to your enthusastic review I am definately going to try Avogaria-thanks for the ditections and ph#- it always helps.
I am narrowing down the list thanks to all your commnets, any last bids?
I will post a report when I return in Oct.
Fluffy
Jun 27th, 2003, 07:36 AM

Alle Testiere is on the opposite side of St. Marks Square from the Ala in the Castello District. It is a little out of the way but we stayed at the Ala and got directions from the staff and had no difficulty walking to the restaurant. I'm not sure if it is open for lunch. At dinner there are 2 seatings (7:30 and 9:30). It is very small so reservations are needed.
Jun 27th, 2003, 09:00 AM

My friend and I enjoyed our meal at Al Gondelieri very much, but that was a few years back (1999). It was fixed price, set menu, and the room was small, but felt "very Italian" to me. It was our nicest dinner in Venice, but then we didn't really study up ahead of time & simply took things as they came...
Jun 27th, 2003, 11:06 AM

To JandaO: The buffet lunch at the Metropole costs (to the best of my memory) about $35. It's well worth every penny. To make the most of it, you probably need to eat lightly the day before, and then after the buffet you won't need dinner--guaranteed.
Jun 27th, 2003, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Jun 27th, 2003, 02:42 PM

People say Corta Sconta isn't what it used to be.... but we've been to Venice 7 times and go back to "our" restaurant each time. (Had a particulaly nice experience our first visit.). Last visit in October cost about $100 for two (with TOO much food)... but what the h---. If weather is good sit in the courtyard, it's a much better experience than inside. (Unless you just want to gorge youself silly on fish.)