Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Please help me decide on Paris apartment (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/please-help-me-decide-on-paris-apartment-794917/)

crckwc1 Jul 10th, 2009 05:38 PM

Please help me decide on Paris apartment

I've been on the Paris apartment threads here and got lots of ideas. There weren't very many available in my price range for my travel dates, but here are 6 I'm considering. All are with www.vacationinparis.com:

#19, #29, #49, #50, #65, #133, all either studios or 1-bedroom for DH and me. Has anyone stayed in any of these? I'll appreciate any comments as to location, amenities, etc. We are interested more in comfort , convenience and cost ($200 or less per day) than in charm.

Thanks.
k

clemson91 Jul 10th, 2009 05:56 PM

Hi K,

Cannot comment on those particular apartments, but I stayed in a "vacationinparis" apartment last November/December had had a great experience. They were easy to work with and it was nice paying in dollars.

Had such a good experience that I have reserved ID#48 for a trip scheduled for next June.

Have a great trip.

Mike

surfmom Jul 10th, 2009 06:54 PM

#50 - Marais (don't know specific street location, but love the Marais)
- no dryer (washer only)
- not crazy about folding chairs and table appears to be in alcove
=> what floor and elevator ?

#29 - Arlequin
+ non smoking
+ furniture looks nicer/more comfortable
- sofa bed (blech)
- no 'real' kitchen table
- washing machine ?
=> elevator ?

#49 - Picardie
- washing machine ?
+ like the 'real' kitchen table
- pullout bed?
+ like the windows

#133 - Marais Catherine
+non smoking
+washer/dryer
-3rd floor (no elevator)
- not many photos (why not?)

#65 - Marais 1bedroom
- no washer/dryer
- no real kitchen table
+ quasi - separate bedroom
+looks like a neat building (but you said charm isn't important?)

#19 - Latin Quartier
- location (I prefer the Marais locations)
- chairs don't look particularly comfortable
- washer/dryer ?
- 3rd floor with no elevator
+real bed vs. sofa bed

hmmm, I would probably choose the Marais 1 bedroom if it were me. Some of them don't look much larger than a hotel room with a kitchen stuck in them and that gets old fast. How long will it be ? (A week ?) Will you do much eating in ? (may affect important kitchen table is). Are sofa beds okay ?

crckwc1 Jul 10th, 2009 07:47 PM

Thanks to you both. We will be there only 4 nights and will probably eat in (not much real cooking) a couple of nights. Surfmom, what about sofa beds? I hate the one I have but I keep reading that the European ones are more comfortable. Any comments? I so appreciate your time in critiqueing these properties. I'll have to go over them again with DH and arrive at a consensus soon.

Fodorite018 Jul 11th, 2009 08:15 AM

Can I toss in another good one from VIP? We just stayed at #125 which is a one bedroom in the 1st. This was our 3rd trip to Paris so I knew the location was good. The apt itself was perfect for DD and myself for a week. The bedroom was small, but the bed was comfy. The living area was nice and comfortable, and the two big windows really let in a lot of light. At night we just closed the big shutters. The kitchen was small so not good if you really want to cook, but for bringing back food it was perfect. There is a small fridge, a washer/dryer, it has a/c, and was about a 2 minute walk to the Louvre. The dining table was good size, you could seat 6 easily. That was nice in that we spread our stuff out on part of that and still had an area to eat.

crckwc1 Jul 11th, 2009 10:34 AM

mms, Yes, thanks, #125 looks absolutely perfect but unfortunately it's not available for my travel dates. But this will be a top pick on a future, better planned trip.

Seamus Jul 11th, 2009 11:52 AM

We rented trough VIP and the service was excellent, but #49 (Picardie) was pretty cramped and well worn. It was fine for a last minute accommodation but some of the others look more comfortable. Many of he VIP properties seem to be given to a funky type of decor, sort of flea market style. Be aware that for two people 25 sq m is not a lot of space, though for a few days it can be OK.
Since you do not plan to use the kitchen very much I would concentrate on places with more comfortable living/sleeping space and bathroom. Sleeper sofas can be OK but it is always a crap shoot - no one will actually tell you theirs is lousy. I am always wary when the floor and availability of elevator is not specified - would ask that specifically.

If you are after comfort more than charm and don't much care about the kitchen why not just stay in a hotel? There are plenty you can find in your price range.

crckwc1 Jul 11th, 2009 05:57 PM

seamus, Thanks for the heads-up on Picardie. Yes, why not a hotel? Actually we've always stayed in a hotel in Paris and have one booked now but thought an apartment would give us flexibility in regards to eating, i.e., fridge, micro, coffee maker, etc. Although I don't plan to do serious cooking, having these kitchen items would give me the option of eating in as opposed to going to a restaurant every meal. It's been my experience that budget hotels don't have many of these amenities or if they do, the price is well over $200.

Seamus Jul 11th, 2009 09:56 PM

Absolutely agree about the kitchen facilities, especially for breakfast. On your first day make a market run, pick up a few staples including good french butter and a preserves (we love apricot) to go with fresh bread and coffee made to your liking. If you are into cappuccino for breakfast and have a french press coffee maker, put the glass part in the micro briefly to warm some milk then use the plunger to foam it up - a close equivalent to steam frothed.
For dinner a nice poulet roti can make a couple meals, augmented by a nice fresh baguette and whatever sides strike your fancy. We did haricots verts (just a couple minutes in boiling water) and baked potatoes in the micro (with some of that great butter and Camargue salt.) Of course it is obligatory to also stop by the patisserie to bring back a luscious dessert, and while you are in the grocery store don't forget to stop by the wine section.
[Holy cow, this is precipitating a severe case of Paris withdrawal!]

crckwc1 Jul 11th, 2009 10:34 PM

Seamus, you have my mouth watering! I love putting together a meal from the markets, the patisserie, etc.-- heck, even from Monoprix. I can hardly wait til our trip -- a couple of months. I'm still debating about which apartment but I'm definitely going to book one of them and cancel the hotel. There aren't many choices left, but something will work out. Thanks for your input. I especially like the cappucino recipe with the milk froth made in the coffee press -- never thought of that.

Seamus Jul 12th, 2009 07:31 AM

Our last Paris visit (report at http://tinyurl.com/m9yd4d) we stayed at a great apartment located in a building with a supermarket on the first floor. We wound up eating a lot of meals in the apartment and a couple times even used leftovers to throw together sandwiches that we took with us touring. We did not make a conscious decision to do this as an economy measure, rather did it because it was so easy - and fun - to trawl the supermarket aisles and the twice weekly street market outside the door. Even their baguette were pretty good, though breakfast breads came from a nearby boulangerie - there are limits to modern conveniences.