Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

PLEASE HELP ME: Barcelona Hotels: anyone been to Gran Via, Meson Castilla, St. Agustin? l

Notices

PLEASE HELP ME: Barcelona Hotels: anyone been to Gran Via, Meson Castilla, St. Agustin? l

Old Jan 30th, 2000, 05:48 PM
jim

I'm going with some friends to Barcelona in the spring, and after considerable research, have come up some moderately priced hotels. Would like to have some current reviews. Has anyone been to any of these hotels? Looking for something well maintained, with some character, but medium priced.

Old Jan 31st, 2000, 10:43 AM
Ivy

Hi

We stayed at the Rivoli Ramblas, right on the Rambla. We paid $110 a night and it was a very nice hotel. The room was nice and looked right onto the street. It's not really fancy but definitely very nice and worth the money. The location is great too!

Old Jan 31st, 2000, 11:37 AM
Maribel

Jim,
Have stayed at both the Meson Castilla and San Agusti, both behind the Ramblas (on the right hand side going down to port) and both well-priced (under $100 double), well maintained and with character. The Meson Castilla is closer to the Plaza Catalunya and new Contemporary Art Museum and an easy walk from two metro stops, the San Agusti is further down, near La Boqueria market, on a plaza and in a bit noisier location. Rooms at Meson Castilla have typical Castilian decor, pretty hand-carved wood furniture in an Old World European style, while the decor at the San Agusti is post-modern, more "cutting edge" Barcelona. Both are super values.
I've also heard many favorable reports about the Gran Via (in a late 19th century building) located above the Ramblas, near the Plaza Catalunya and elegant Paseig de Gracia shopping street. You shouldn't go wrong with any of these three.
Have fun!

Old Jan 31st, 2000, 04:02 PM
michele

Jim,
I stayed at the Gran Via two years ago and it was fine. Our room was small and clean without much character, but quiet. The lobby and public rooms have a faded elegance to them. The hotel is excellently located between the Ramblas ( which can be noisy) and the barrio. The airport bus is an easy walk from the hotel, also. The staff was pleasant and helpful and the price was right.

My friends stayed at the St.Agustin last April and were very satisfied with that. They loved the location.

The Meson Castlla was booked when I tried to make reservations and it receives glowing praise from the always reliable Karen Brown books.

I don't think you can wrong with any or these.

Have a wonderful time in Barcelona. I wish I were going.

Michele

Old Feb 2nd, 2000, 12:31 PM
Thomas

Jim, I've stayed at the Gran Via several times. Price is great, loction is terrific, room 301 is the best as it is very Spanish inside. But it is on a busy street with lots of traffic which I don't mind. Especially since the room is up high. It was always a joy to come to the room. and the outdoor patio is great for your casual snacks or food you bring in. Location is within easy walking distance of some rather nice walking streets, some near Gaudi buildings. Nice outdoor cafes north of Pl Catalunya. Hope you like it.

Old Feb 2nd, 2000, 11:31 PM
Bobby G

Jim,
Check out Hotel Continental (www.hotelcontinental.com) on La Rambla. It's extremely good value for money. You get a goodly-sized double with a balcony overlooking the Rambla for 12,500 ptas. The balcony is a luxury -- and the rooms are three floors up, so you're not dicturbed by the noise in the street. They even large rooms for four adults, so you and your friends could spread the cost. We've stayed there twice -- in 1998 and again over New Year's 1999-2000. The staff are very friendly.
Cheers,
Bobby
P.S: I don't know if it will be worth anything, but you could say the Ghosh family of Hong Kong sent you!