Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Please help, Is this site real? To Get to a visa's.

Please help, Is this site real? To Get to a visa's.

Dec 29th, 2004, 10:47 AM
Original Poster
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 73
Please help, Is this site real? To Get to a visa's.

My friend in Hungary Found this site and doesn't know if it is really safe to get a Visa through them. It looks safe to me..The Visa would be for my friends 19 year old son. So her and her son can come to Amnerica for a visit together. She already has her visa and has been to the United States twice. Her son does not have his visa and he would like to visit America too. Due to his age he can't be put on his Mom's visa. He has applied in Hungary for the lottery for his Visa several years ago. But it takes years to get it for the most part. This is the site. Thank you very much for any help. Happy New Years to everyone. Alizka https://www.usafis.org/
Alice_the_Magyar is offline  
Dec 29th, 2004, 11:05 AM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 2,049
I did a search for USAFIS and one of the links was to
a site talking about scams involving green cards. Draw your own conclusions.

A green card is an authorization to live and work in the US; a visa is authorization to visit. I think what you need is a visa. Perhaps if your friend contacted the US consulate and explained the situation they could offer advice and assistance.
clevelandbrown is offline  
Dec 29th, 2004, 11:22 AM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 6,098
This site doesn't offer anything that your friend's son can't do for himself. They help people apply for the Diversity Lottery permanent resident visa "green card" that allows winners to live and work in the USA. But you don't need to pay a company like this one to file.

There is no fee to enter the diversity lottery.

All he needs to do is apply by following the instructions in the US Gov't State Department web site:


More info from US Gov't. sites:



If all he wants is a vistor/tourist visa, he should apply at the nearest US Embassy/Consulate.
RufusTFirefly is offline  
Dec 29th, 2004, 11:24 AM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 6,098
Forgot to add: The website your friend found cannot get him into the USA any faster or easier than he can do himself. They have no special "in" with the US Department of State.
RufusTFirefly is offline  
Dec 29th, 2004, 11:26 AM
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 19,419
Alice, I came from former Soviet Union, and from russian publications I know you have to apply for lottery every year.
FainaAgain is offline  
Dec 29th, 2004, 11:37 AM
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 508
If he just wants to visit the US- he could get a tourist visa. Does the mother have a green card - I am curious as to why she did not apply for her son before he turned 18?

indie is offline  
Dec 29th, 2004, 11:39 AM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 6,098
By the way, the deadline for the 2006 Diversity Lottery is Jan. 7, 2005 according to the State Department website. So he'd better hurry. He must file electronically--no paper entries are accepted.

The application is easy to fill out. The most difficult part is to be sure that the photographs you submit meet the exact technical requirements for the computer system.
RufusTFirefly is offline  
Dec 29th, 2004, 11:47 AM
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 19,419
Indie: if his mom would apply together with him, both would not be allowed into USA on a tourist visa as INS is very careful not to create a situation when a tourist can apply for permanent residence. If a mother AND her child are here, what will make them to want to go back?

As she has been to USA twice I assume she doesn't have a green card. Now only close relatives, like sisters, parents, have a realistic chance to bring somebody into USA with a permanent status. Or through the lottery - that is, if you have $10,000 or a sponsor ready to give you this much.
FainaAgain is offline  
Dec 29th, 2004, 07:15 PM
Original Poster
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 73
FainaAgain, First of all they own a nice home in Hungary and with lots of property. So I'm sure they want to return home. I'm not saying this to be rude. I just don't know how else to word it. I'm sorry. I never had to put up money for my friend to come visit me here in the United States. And she had to buy her own health insurance before could visit here. Neither son or mother plan on staying in the USA, as they have to much to lose. Plus she has two other children and all her family in Hungary. Thank you and also everyone else here for all the wonderful help. Happy New Year. Alizka
Alice_the_Magyar is offline  
Dec 29th, 2004, 09:28 PM
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 45,322
Alice, the green card lottery is for one of the few lucky ones to come to the USA and get the "green card", a permanent residents card with the right to work. My daughter & SIL know a young man in SF (he is from Italy) that actually received this. Almost a miracle.

The visa is the right to travel to the USA as a tourist. That is what your friends son needs because as you say they just want to visit.

As other posters have stated your friends son needs to apply for a visa (to travel to the USA) at their nearest US Embassy/Consulate.

You state that your friends son has applied in Hungary for the lottery for his Visa several years ago.

This sounds to me like he is trying to get the green card.

There is quite a difference.

Again, have your friends son go to the US Embassay/Consulate to get his visa to travel to the USA. And of course he will need a passport.

I hope everything works out for him.

LoveItaly is offline  
Dec 30th, 2004, 08:32 AM
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 19,419
This is strange as to invite someone on a guest visa to Belarus I'd have to prove I have enough money to support him/her for 3 month, and the INS requerement was to earn at least $35,000 a year. One of my relatives asked if I can sign the affidavit, that's how I know (I work, and my relative in USA doesn't).

Perhaps different rules for different countries.

I got confused when you mentioned the lottery - it's for people who want to live in America.
FainaAgain is offline  
Dec 30th, 2004, 11:16 AM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 2,049
There is so much flexibility in the US visa program that even a person who has gotten a visa is hardly in a position to give advice on what the requirements for a tourist visa are; they vary with circumstances.

I went to

for information. On just one aspect (certainty that the visitor will return home) they say

Applicants must demonstrate that they are properly classifiable as visitors under U.S. law by:

* Evidence which shows the purpose of the trip, intent to depart the United States, and arrangements made to cover the costs of the trip may be provided. It is impossible to specify the exact form the documentation should take since applicants' circumstances vary greatly.
* Those applicants who do not have sufficient funds to support themselves while in the U.S. must present convincing evidence that an interested person will provide support.
* Depending on individual circumstances, applicants may provide other documentation substantiating the trip's purpose and specifying the nature of binding obligations, such as family ties or employment, which would compel their return abroad.

Alizka, the best thing for your friend and her son to do is to contact a US consulate and ask them how to get a visa for her son.
clevelandbrown is offline  
Related Topics
Original Poster
Last Post
Africa & the Middle East
Jan 2nd, 2019 03:55 PM
United States
Jul 11th, 2016 12:56 PM
United States
Jul 16th, 2011 04:52 PM
United States
May 3rd, 2009 07:45 PM
Jul 24th, 2002 02:52 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:28 PM.