Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   please help in deciding on a couple of hotels in Munich (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/please-help-in-deciding-on-a-couple-of-hotels-in-munich-806323/)

angelan Sep 16th, 2009 07:53 AM

please help in deciding on a couple of hotels in Munich

i have been doing alot of research on hotels in Munich. i wanted to spend $200 maximum and be close to train station, even though i know reputation of train station areas. Eden Hotel Wolff was recommended as a nice hotel near the station and when i checked its rates on 3 different sites, i got different amounts. Hotels.com gave me the best and within my price range.Travelocity and Venere were probably about $45 more a night. Secondly, , the hotel jederman and the hotel uhland were both recommended in books and in this forum. they are a little cheaper and are "family run". i am leaning toward the eden wolff because it is larger and looks newer. Any thoughts? i am staying in Munich for two nights.

Dukey Sep 16th, 2009 07:59 AM

What time of year; the Uhland doesn't have A/C and yes it IS helpful to have it during certain periods in Munich..otherwise why do so many of the larger hotels have it if it "isn't necessary?"

The train station area...there are a couple of sex stores..none of which are as big as that Beate Uhse MEGA sex store which is close to the Marienplatz; also the area has some 'ethnic' restaurants..those two combined elements have caused more than a few "Fodorites" to whine about how 'seedy' the area is.

I've been in a couple of "family-run' establishments..when they are good they are...good; when they are bad, and they can be VERY bad...stick with the Wolff

kfusto Sep 16th, 2009 11:10 AM

I always stay near the station at LeMeridien (Priceline) or Sofitel.

LeMeridien has been on hotels.com and other sites for about 168 USD per night. It is, IMO, more luxurious than the Eden Wolff and very well located, great staff.

The Fleming is another good choice.

spassvogel Sep 16th, 2009 12:10 PM

I have stayed at the Le Meridien and it was extremely pleasant despite it was overdrowded by Arabs doing their doctor business in Munich between June and Sep. On the other hand it was quite interesting to watch how the ladies came back from shopping carrying their DIOR, CGANEL etc bags, wearing glittery jeans under their chadors (spe?) ;-)

Opposite Main Station and close to Stachus - walkable. Great buffet breakfast.
The neighborhood of course was how expected: Station like - not pleasant after dark - but passed it each day easdily towards my goals which were clearly Stachus. Maximilian Str. Engl. Garden - all on foot!

Underground is also very close.

SV

lks6671 Sep 16th, 2009 01:18 PM

My family & I stayed at the Jedermann last year and thought it was a fantastic deal. It is 2 (maybe 3) stops from the HBF (tram stop is literally out the front door), price was right, hotel staff was very helpful, and breakfast was included in our price - and really nice to boot. They also sold train/tram tickets at the front desk and assisted us with directions/advice/etc. Don't let the 'family run' classification put you off, this always implies to me that Dad is at the front desk, Mom is cleaning the rooms and the grumpy son serves the breakfast. Not the case - I'm pretty sure there is someone at the front desk 24 hrs, and they might have even had a very very small bar...but don't quote me on that. I normally pay careful attention to those types of things, but we were there with our kids. We would stay there again in a heartbeat.

logos999 Sep 16th, 2009 01:23 PM

- A/C = huge waste of money
- Best price, usually www.hrs.de

logos999 Sep 16th, 2009 01:28 PM

Heating is important during a cold spell as recently, almost none of the cheaper hotels in Bavaria have the possiblility to heat the room, if it's ouside of heating season. That may be quite annoying. Central heating is expensive to them and only switched on when there are enough customers to justify it.

kfusto Sep 16th, 2009 01:49 PM

Use kayak.com and specify your hotel and city - it compares hundreds of sites so you do not have to.

angelan Sep 17th, 2009 03:11 PM

sorry but what am i doing wrong? i posted a question and got 7 responses but dont see them listed under my original post??

angelan Sep 17th, 2009 03:23 PM

thanks everyone for the help. i obviously now see the replies.thanks kfusto and sassvogel for recommendation of le meridien. i thought i checked it out but only priced it on venere i think and i think it was out of price range but will check it out on hotels.com . also will check out kayak. i had read a lousy review about another small family run and they said even in the non smoking rooms and hallway, all they could smell was smoke. that grosses me out and led me to think that a larger hotel would be able to mask that problem?? we are going to land in munich in march and stay for a couple of days before leaving for italy. thanks for the help!

AisleSeat Sep 20th, 2009 02:24 PM

There are lots of hotels of all price ranges around the train station and the area is not that bad. Obviously don't do something stupid, like women walking alone down dark alleys late at night, in this area or in any city.

Take a look at Igougo.com to compare Travelocity, Expedia, Priceline, American Express, and a couple more. If you go to octopustravel.com you will see pictures of the hotels (but not necessarily the best prices). You can look at Biddingfortravel.com to see what people are getting on Priceline but the only hetel that pops up in that area is the Marriott Courtyard, an American style hotel. I like the Drei Lowen for more of a Bavarian feel (feather beds rather than comforters on the bed).

Paul1950 Sep 21st, 2009 06:27 AM

You won't need AC in March. However, just a note for those traveling to that part of the world during the summer months. The heat and humidity can be a bad combination in the summer, especially in big cities. You will "survive" without AC if you happen to hit a hot spell, but who wants to just "survive" while on vacation?

We spent three absolutely miserable, sleepless nights in Munich a few years ago when temperatures hit the upper 80s with humidity to match; our days in the city were not enjoyable after those crummy, sweaty, itchy, sleepless nights. And, no, it did not cool down much at night.

november_moon Sep 21st, 2009 11:16 AM

I think it also depends on what you are used to. If you are used to sleeping with AC at home and there is a heatwave, then it will be uncomfortable. On the otherhand, if you don't have AC at home and are used to sleeping when it is hot, then no worries.