Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Please help in choosing between hotels in Luzern! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/please-help-in-choosing-between-hotels-in-luzern-80764/)

Elizabeth Jul 26th, 2000 06:34 AM

Please help in choosing between hotels in Luzern!

Hello, <BR> <BR>I have decided between 2 hotels in Luzern for my upcoming trip with my grandmother and my mother. <BR> <BR>"Romantik Wilden Mann Hotel" <BR> <BR>This place sounds like a charming little hotel, nicely furnished within close distance to shopping. <BR> <BR>"Hotel Des Balances" <BR> <BR>This also sounds like a nice hotel with an optional River view of the Reuss. <BR> <BR>They are both around the same price, but I can not decide has anyone stayed here, know of anyone that has stayed here or even seen the hotels. You suggestions are appreciated. <BR>Thanks

Betty Kubiak Jul 26th, 2000 09:20 AM

Stayed at the Hotel des Balances last year. We were suppose to stay at the Hotel Krone right across the square, but it was during the floods and the Krone had arranged for us to stay at the Balances for the same price. It seems both hotels are under the same management. Anyway, the hotel staff were wonderful. We had a small room at the very top of the hotel with a balcony overlooking the river. It was heavenly. I don't think you will regret staying there.

Judi Jul 26th, 2000 10:14 AM

We stayed at the Hotel Des Balances in April. We also had a small room with a balcony. If you choose this hotel I would recommend your getting a room with a balcony. The bridge, the swans on the river and the snow capped mountains in the background are so pretty. Their restaurant is reportedly one of the best in Luzern. We had half board one night (around $27/pp) which was a fixed menu. It was very good so we decided to dine there another night not on half board... another fine meal. Breakfast is good also and has more to offer than most hotel breakfasts. <BR>I hope you three generations have a wonderful trip!

richard j vicek Jul 26th, 2000 12:54 PM

Good afternoon, Elizebeth <BR>Have used the HOTEL WILDEN MANN, about five times since 1981, we have been <BR>extremely satisified with it both for <BR>service and accomodations. It also <BR>has an excellant ristorante and also <BR>the stubi on the ground floor with again <BR>above ordinary food. It is located about ten mins walk from the Bahnhof <BR>5 mins by taxi. around the corner and <BR>across the river you are in the old town <BR>section of Luzern, with its multitude of <BR>shops. Richard of La Grange Park, Il.. <BR>

s Jul 27th, 2000 06:35 AM

Elizabeth, <BR>When are you going to Luzern? I'll be at Des Balances in Nov. E-mail me if you'd like to have a small Fodorites gathering. <BR> <BR>s

Elizabeth Jul 27th, 2000 06:41 AM

Thank you all for the advice - I am still abit at a lose for which place to select, they both sound great. <BR> <BR>Is the Des Balances in the old section of town? Or are the both in the old section? My grandmother loves to shop so being steps away from some shops would be great. <BR> <BR>Dear S--- <BR>Unfortunately we will be there a little bit earlier than you - In September, but that was a great idea. <BR> <BR>