Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Please help - how to get from Quillan/Carcassonne to Montmorillon/Poitiers?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 03:14 AM
Helen

I really need your help here! We have to travel from Carcassonne (actually Quillan) to Montmorillon (Poitiers - if there is no train to Montmorillon), and I am not at all familiar with the region.<BR><BR>We actually plan to rent a car at Carcassonne train station, but would prefer to travel by train to Poitiers or Montmorrillon. Please help with stops inbetween - scnf keeps on telling me there are 2 changes, but I do not know what the towns etc. could be to change?<BR><BR>Or - if we travel by car, how long will it take (more or less?)<BR><BR>The date is 16 September 2002 - and it has to be after 17h00 - or very early morning of 17 September.<BR><BR>Any help would be appreciated!<BR><BR>Thanks in advance.<BR>Helen Malan

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 05:31 AM
Rex

I'm not at home, so I don't have my Thomas Cook timetable - - but you could start by looking at http://www.raileurope.com/us/common/rail_map/france.htm<BR><BR>Although this is not detailed - - and it doesn't have some of the smaller routes - - I think you will need to get to Toulouse or Montpellier - - from there to Bordeaux, by way of Agen. You can get directly to Poiters from Bordeaux.<BR><BR>I'm pretty sure it will be faster by car. Cheaper would depend on how many passengers, and whether you have good reason to use the car more than 24 hours.<BR><BR>For any driving trip in Europe, I urge you to become familiar with (one or more of) these excellent web resources.<BR><BR>www.viamichelin.com<BR>www.mappy .com<BR><BR>or<BR><BR>www.shellgeostar.com<BR><BR> Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 05:40 AM
Daniel

It is possible to go by train to Montmorillon, but the connections are not the best.<BR><BR>Dep Carcassonne 10.18, arr Limoges-Benedictins 14.46. Dep 17.18, arr Montmorrilon 18.39.<BR>http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 06:16 AM
StCirq

According to the SNCF site, the following is available September 17<BR><BR>8:51 am - depart Carcassonne<BR>12:10 arrive Bordeaux (St-Jean)<BR>13:55 depart Bordeaux (St-Jean)<BR>15:38 arrive Poitiers<BR><BR>

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 05:17 PM
topper

topping<BR>

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 10:00 PM
Helen

To Rex, Daniel and StCirq<BR><BR>Thank you so much for your help - we shall drive rather than going by train then. Thanks for the Websites for road travelling, as well as the other ones for rail travelling I did not know - only know scnf!<BR><BR>Thanks again for the quick respose!<BR><BR>Kindest reagrds<BR><BR>Helen Malan

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 05:05 AM
Rex

You're very welcome.<BR>

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 04:15 PM
topping

to the top<BR>