Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Please help - Florence, Positano, or...? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/please-help-florence-positano-or-512654/)

hipvirgochick Mar 15th, 2005 08:51 AM

Please help - Florence, Positano, or...?

I have been reading and rereading threads with so much helpful information my head is spinning :) We are set on Rome and Venice, but need help deciding the last 3 night location (including day trips) either Florence or Positano (or location more convenient to surrounding areas). Please note we are on a budget (staying in convents in Rome and Venice and Florence too if we choose it). Originally we planned to fly into Rome, train to Florence, train to Venice, but Positano and Capri and Sorrento are sounding great too!Please offer suggestions...

mamc Mar 15th, 2005 09:52 AM

It would help us to help you if you would let us know the time of year you are going and some of your interests. And, have you ever been to Italy?
I would suggest Florence if it is your first trip and because you have just 3 days. But you will get other opinions so it is best to decide what appeals to you after you have heard from others.

Weadles Mar 15th, 2005 10:07 AM

You'll probably be able to find more affordable accomodations in Florence. The Amalfi Coast and Sorrento are expensive, but if you plan way ahead you may find reasonable B&B's. When are you going?

hipvirgochick Mar 15th, 2005 10:15 AM

We are two young women friends going in April (probably right after Easter)next year for our 40th birthdays :) 1st time to Italy, but we've been to Europe and Asia together. I know it's an entire year away, but I like to research and read a lot before I travel. The Fodors board has helped me in the past as much as any guidebook! I start Italian classes next month (although I realize it's not necessary I'm interesting in the language).

mamc -- assuming you've been to positano, please tell me why you would choose florence. is it because it's a "do not miss" for first timers and access to other day trips, or because you think it would round out the rome, venice segments better or because going south deserves more time...or? would you suggest a day trip to cinque de terre from florence?

hipvirgochick Mar 15th, 2005 10:19 AM

weadles -- plenty of time for planning (going in april next year). there are convents we can stay in florence. i have ordered the updated version (july 2005) of the bed and blessings book and found plenty of posts on this forum. not sure what's available in sorrento. positano and capri sound beautiful, trying to stay under $100us for twin (our double) weighing the choices...never enough vacation time! the thing is with the convents is their affordable and in great locations, which is great for jumping out of bed and into adventure. we don't plan on renting a car.

Lorac1127 Mar 15th, 2005 10:49 AM

Since you are in the planning stages, I would first suggest that you get an open-jaw ticket because its saves on travel time and backtracking.

Both the Amalfi Coast and the Florence are excellent destinations. Personally, I would choose the AC if I were looking for fabulous scenery, spectacular views and small towns, and I would choose Florence if I were looking for fabulous art experiences, i.e., David, Ufizzi, etc.

Since price is a major considerion, you might find it easier to find budget accommodations. Cities always offer a more varied price range.

From Florence, you have the Tuscan countryside to explore and in Amalfi, you can explore Capri. All are great...it is just a matter of what strikes your fancy!

hipvirgochick Mar 15th, 2005 11:05 AM

we intend on using ff miles with open jaw into rome and out of paris. we'll be flying from italy (probably via ryanair) to paris for 2 nights. we've been there before and just want to touch bases and say hello. we'd definitely like a break for some natural beauty out of cities, but i'm sure would be thrilled with either choice. maybe a wine tour through the countryside...any recommendations? intial plan was 4 nights rome, 3 florence, 3 venice.

Weadles Mar 15th, 2005 11:55 AM

Don't get me wrong-- I absolutely love the Amalfi Coast and Sorrento. But I don't know much about convents or other budget options available in the area. If I were you, I'd post again if you're still interested in going there, but put it right in your heading. Something simple like, BUDGET ACCOMDODATIONS ON AMALFI COAST? should do the trick.

Good luck. Sounds like a great trip!

hipvirgochick Mar 15th, 2005 04:38 PM

Wow! I thought I would hear some serious opinions on this. Is no one passionate for one place over the other? Should I assume they are both as wonderful, just different, and try to take it from here?

Weadles -- Thanks for the rec. Good idea for that specific post :)

kybourbon Mar 15th, 2005 05:19 PM

There are budget hotels in both cities and I would have a hard time deciding which one too. I stayed at www.ilnido.it just outside of Sorrento with free shuttle bus,ac,internet,great views for 88E including buffet breakfast. In Florence try Ira's favorite for 62E
http://www.bedinflorence.it/home.htm

Be sure to check the curfews of the convents. Some are as early as 10:30 or 11:00 and I don't think I could ever make a curfew that early.

ira Mar 16th, 2005 04:59 AM

Hi hip,

>Should I assume they are both as wonderful, just different, and try to take it from here?<

Yes.

It will be a lot easier and cheaper for you to see Rome, Florence and Venice than to go out of your way to get to the AC.

((I))

hipvirgochick Mar 16th, 2005 07:15 AM

thanks ky - i'll check out your sorrento rec and indeed the b & b in florence. you're correct in the curfews being somewhat prohibitive, although i have found some with midnight or no curfew (well, one in rome so far with no curfew, but more $).

thanks ira. i found and thoroughly enjoyed your trip report. many helpful observations and tips :)