We are 2 adults and 2 boys (6, 11) flying from US into Amsterdam on July 1st and flying out of Munich on the 15th of July. We really want to spend a few days in Switzerland this time (but the return fares from both Zurich and Geneva were exorbitant).
Here is our planned itinerary.
Amsterdam – 3 nights (July 1, 2, 3)
Munich – 2 nights (July 13, 14, flying out on 15th late afternoon)
Switzerland – 5 nights (3 nights in Berner oberland, 2 nights – Lucerne/Engelberg/Vevey or ? )
For the other 4 nights we are thinking,
Rhine valley and
Bavarian Country side or Salzburg/Hallstatt
Our route ideas
1. Train from Amsterdam to cologne, see the cathedral and drive through Rhine valley to Freiburg(or ?) drop off the car and train to Switzerland. Train from Switzerland to some German or Austrian town and rent a car for another 2 or 3 days before moving on to Munich
2. Overnight train from Amsterdam to Switzerland. From Switzerland train to some German/Austrian town(?) rent a car for 4-5 days, finally to Munich to drop off the car
3. Train from Amsterdam-Cologne rent car for 4-5 days tour Germany/Austria(except Munich), train to Switzerland – train from Switzerland to Munich for final 2 days and fly out
4. Open to other ideas?
This is where we need help. Please help us with the best logical route. Also looking for suggestions on best places to spend the other 4 nights?
What we would like to do –
Spend a night or two in a kid friendly castle (moats, rooms behind bookcases kind of place)
Visit the Neuschwanstein castle – We probably won’t go inside but we would like to see the castle, enjoy the scenery, explore Mary’s bridge, get some pictures…
Visit a Beer Hall with oompa music
Luge ride or some similar fun for kids
Farm stay –May be?
Museums – May be, not too keen
Other ‘uniquely Europe’ family fun ideas ?
Thanks in advance for all your help.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 AOL &Email Password Reset Contact Now 1:844:853:3131 AOL Tec*h care By Yes!
- 2 Current plan for March trip
- 3 Planning a Trip from DC to Anywhere in Europe (Budget Friendly)
- 4 First time in Spain
- 5 Help me pick a destination --- Please!
- 6 Connecting trains in Chambery
- 7 Barcelona to Malaga
- 8 Four Nights in Nice--What should we do?
- 9 where to buy baby gifts in paris?
- 10 Best area to stay in Amsterdam for a first time visitor
- 11 Looking for Paris Rental Apt.
- 12 Copying a post on Swiss gondolas.
- 13 Christmas in Granada....food!
- 14 Help needed for Bergamo to Venice journey
- 15 Dublin for St. Patricks Day
- 16 Recommendations Budget hotel Paris
- 17 Mid-May stay in Lauterbrunnen or Murren
- 18 beware of robbed in Milan
- 19 Help me get excited about a week in Portugal
- 20 A Merry marvelousmouse, and (likely more than one) cup of good cheer!
- 21 Wedding In Cambridge England
- 22 Once upon a time in Italy
- 23 Chinese new year festivities in Paris
- 24 GTG Paris December 2017
- 25 Paris November 2017