Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Please help find Rome hotel near metro lines.

Mar 2nd, 2001, 08:16 AM
Mom & 9 year old dayghter

I am planning a trip in November with my 9 year old daughter to Italy. I have found a hotel in Sorrento that I am please with and will stay there 4 nights. We also plan to stay in Rome for 3 nights. Please advice as to decent hotels but not 4-5 stars close to the metro lines. I would like a clean safe place especially since I will be with my daughter. We mainly plan to vist ancient Rome, Vatican, and would like to just spend some time eating and people watching around Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain and any other great place you might reccomend. Thanks for all advice in advance!!!

Mar 2nd, 2001, 02:07 PM
Celeste

The Rome Metro system is not that large, mainly because they keep finding ruins when they try to expand it! As a result, busses and trams are often the way to go.

There are so many lodgings in Rome that I think you need to do some research, decide how much you want to spend and pinpoint the area you want to stay in, then see if the two are compatible.

You might also want to consider a bed and breakfast place rather than a hotel if money is a concern. Once you have the area and price set, getting hotel or B&B recommendations will be a lot easier!

Mar 2nd, 2001, 03:08 PM
BUDGET B&B

Welcome to our home in the historical centre of the "Eternal City", at few steps from the Basilica of Santa Maria Maggiore,the Colosseum,the air-terminal and the underground.

We invite you to spend a pleasant holiday, offering you the best of the traditional hospitality in a family-type atmosphere and our comfortable, modern and quiet rooms.

We will take care of you from the moment of reservation until departure and will give you advice on the best way to visit the city.
Goodbye!

BUDGET B&B
The bed and breakfast
Via Principe Amedeo, 79/a - 00185 Roma
Tel. +39 064450693
Fax +39 0649382675
SMS +39 3471437059

E mail: [email protected]

Picture: http://it.photos.yahoo.com/budgetbandb

Mar 9th, 2001, 07:19 AM
Maira

BUDGET B&B ---- this is a NO ADVERTISING forum for independent travelers. Because you did, I will NOT patronize your website or facilities.

Mom-- I was planning to stay at Hotel Forte during a recent trip to Rome (cancelled due to my father's sudden passing). It was very reasonably priced ($90/triple; special offer), great location near the Spanish steps, close to Metro stop Piazza Di Spagna (line A). Strongly recommend using the Text Search function to look up Paige's posts as she stayed at the Forte in late January and posted extensively on this hotel. Again, I really think the Hotel Forte will be a good choice for you.

I also recommend http://www.twenj.com site; excellent information for Rome travelers. By the way, I have re-scheduled the trip for November; most likely will be staying near the Vatican (Hotel Spring House) as this time my Mom is joining us. My 13 year old niece is also going and I am planning to take her to Pompeii, in case you want to tag along

Mar 9th, 2001, 02:23 PM
joan

While I was in Rome 2 weeks ago I stayed at Hotel Azzurra for 2 nights. I paid 200,000 lire for a triple with breakfast. This hotel is only 1 minute walk to Barberini Metro stop. But I won't recommend it if you need complete silence to sleep. There is another hotel on the 2nd floor (Azzurra is on the 3rd), Hotel Boccaccio, which I think I will try out the next time I visit. It is recommended by Let's Go and you can find more information from www.webeco.it/boccaccio. You can find Azzurra from www.venere.it.

Mar 9th, 2001, 05:15 PM
LUCILLE

I STAYED IN THE CAMP DI FIORE AREA AT THE CAMPO DI (DE?) FIORE HOTEL, IN A 4TH FLOOR WALK-UP APT. OVERLOOKING THE SQUARE. IT IS NEAR PIAZZA NAVONA AND THE PARTHENON. THERE IS A MARKET IN THE SQUARE DURING THE DAY, WHEN THE RESTAURANTS ARE CLOSED AND IN THE P.M. THE MARKET IS CLEARED AWAY, THE RESTAURANTS PUSH THEIR CHAIRS OUT AND SET UP. YOU CAN WALK TO MANY SIGHTS FROM HERE; WE WALKED FROM THE SPANISH STEPS AND COULD HAVE WALKED TO VATICAN CITY, WE LATER REALIZED. THIS ARE HAS LOTS OF CHARACTER AND ATMOSPHERE.

Mar 10th, 2001, 06:28 AM
mimi

Best Western has two hotels near the metro line at the train station. This is also the center for bus travel in Rome. We stayed at a three star called the Villafranca which was very nice on a quiet street within walking distance of the metro and surrounded by local restaurants. The Hotel Canada nearby also three stars looked very nice. We had no trouble at night for they are on quiet streets near the university and within travel distance of everywhere. We found the price very good for Rome. The Hotel Canada is in many guide books.