Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Please help deciding Bingen-Koblenz drive, Ludwigsburg, or Regensburg?
Notices

Please help deciding Bingen-Koblenz drive, Ludwigsburg, or Regensburg?

Aug 21st, 2016, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

Please help deciding Bingen-Koblenz drive, Ludwigsburg, or Regensburg?

Hello all and thank you in advance for your help.

Working on route for a visit to Germany.... so difficult to pick among so many wonderful choices...
It is my mom, sister and I traveling, and we love architecture, landscapes, history... not planning on really hitting museums specifically on this part of the trip. We are going to have a car, and I wanted to ask for your opinion about something. We need to pick 2 out of 3 between spending a day driving on upper middle Rhine valley (not sure if that's the right terminology... Bingen-Koblenz) stoping as we can on the day, spending a day visiting Regensburg, or spending a day visiting Ludwigsburg.
I know this is a highly subjective decision, but some of you have traveled all around and all the advice I have already found on this forum has helped so much that I figured I'd ask. I know these three places are located in very different areas, but the rest of the stops are flexible and we'll adjust based on this decision, so leaving aside for a moment the feasibility of travel time to our other destinations.... which 2 out of 3 would you pick?
Perhaps I should mention that we were already planning on visiting Bamberg, and Rothenburg ob der Tauber (though touristy)... not sure if this should influence the decision somehow...

Thank you so very much!!
Aug 21st, 2016, 08:33 AM

The Middle Rhine Valley is very beautiful, with many things to see and to visit (a favourite is the Marksburg in Braubach, a truly medieval castle; I also like Eberbach monastery).

I am not sure about Ludwigsburg, there is the town square and the palace and that's it (I was there three weeks ago). If you have to skip something, then Ludwigsburg.

You find an even better baroque palace in Würzburg.

Now, Regensburg. It is beautiful, for sure, but you will covering quite a bit of ground when driving. So, it might be reasonable to skip this too, just to reduce some driving.

Instead, take your time to drive through the countryside. In Franconia, almost every village is picturesque, many with churches with intricate wood-cut altars. Rothenburg o.d.T. is touristy, yes, but you will find other towns like Dinkelsbühl and Nördlingen which are at least as picturesque and less frequented by internationale tourists. Also, Neresheim abbey is a worthy stop en route.
Aug 21st, 2016, 09:16 AM

I can't comment on everything you asked about, but I really liked Regensburg. Very attractive.

A word of advice about Rothenburg. It's terribly crowded during the day, but I've enjoyed staying over night, since in the morning and in the evening it's much quieter and more enjoyable.

Search this Thread