Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Please Help: Buying Paris Museum Pass at night (10pm) or very early morning (7:30am)??

Please Help: Buying Paris Museum Pass at night (10pm) or very early morning (7:30am)??

Old Mar 9th, 2007, 04:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I'll be leaving to go to Versailles around 8am on Thursday from RER Michel. I need to get the Paris Museum Pass before heading to Versailles. I don't have any other time to purchase MP ahead of time, except maybe the night before (arrive CDG around 7:30pm -- check into hotel hopefully by 9:00 near Louvre Museum). By 9p-10p I don't know if anything place will still be open for purchasing MP.
Thus, I have 2 options: 1) buying it at airport (I don't know if this is possible, but on the website, it says you can) 2) buy it that morning prior to leaving for Versailles. I'm planning on walking from hotel across Pont Neuf, to RER Michel to catch train Versailles. What's the best, convenient, fast place to purchase MP, and what time do these places generally open? Where can I purchase MP around Louvre and RER St. Michel's area that will open early (7:30am) or late (10PM)? Thanks.
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 04:35 PM

The Louvre is open late (10pm) on Wednesdays, so you might be able to buy it there. The tourism office Espace du Tourisme d'Ile-de-France (Carrousel du Louvre) sells the Pass, but their website says they open only from 10am-6pm. Outside your timeframe, unfortunately.

Is there any reason you don't want to buy the Pass directly at Versailles? Thursdays there tend to be less packed, especially since you'll be arriving early.
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Original Poster

WOW! i didn't know you can buy MP as Versailles? Really? Is it easy and can you avoid line? If you really can purchase MP at Versailles, that will help me a lot. Please verify.
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 04:49 PM

Buying it at Versailles avoids the entrance line, but puts you smack dab in the ticketing line - which may be worse.

Ask your hotel if they have a stock. In years past, that was the case, but since they stopped selling them at Métro stations, all bets are off.

Failing that, I think your times are going to be a problem - the only covered venue I know of that's open late is the Arc de Triomphe. But if you check the www.parismuseumpass.fr web site, you might find something closer.
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 05:13 PM

alliecat--how many days are you buying the museum pass for? It is now available only for 2, 4, or 6 days. 2day is 30 euro, 4 day is 45, and 6 day is 60 euro.

http://www.parismuseumpass.fr/flash/hp_en.html

You may want to consider the loisir forfaits, which you can buy at the rer stations, and which gives you roundtrip metro/rer pass and a full day pass at Versailles for 19 euro.
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Do you know if I can buy it at CDG airport? If not, here are some other locations that open late on Wednesday (my arrival) night. : Pompidou (9P), Arc di Triomphe (10:30pm), Louvre (9:45p). I will get off at LesHalles RER, walk to my hotel by 9PM, quickly check in, head over to Louvre (2-3 minutes walk from hotel) to get MP? If time does not allow, then I'll buy it at Versailles (early morning Thursday). Hopefully not too long of a line in March.
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 06:09 PM

I tried to buy the passes at the airport and they did not have any. I did not know you couldn't buy the passes at metro stations. When did that change?
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 07:00 PM

To Barb_in_Ga
The 19 euro pass for RT transportation and entrance to Versailles... would I need to do all in one day? Or could I go out to Versailles and visit one day, then stay in the vicinity (in order to go out to Chartes the next morning) and then return to Versailles station and use the second half of my rer pass on that day to return to Paris..?
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 07:13 PM

Try this link--I don't see that it specifies a same day return.

http://tinyurl.com/3awfry