Day trip to Dolomites from Innsbruck using public transport

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2012, 03:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be visiting Innsbruck / Seefeld in May 2012 for 4 nights/3days.

Based on recommendations on Fodors had considered staying in Seefeld. But, we are not into hiking and are now considering staying in Innsbruck. Have read a lot about the Dolomites in this forum and understand that they are spectacular. Can we do a day trip to the Dolomites from Innsbruck using public transport? Any advise on how to go about this day trip is welcome.

From Innsbruck can we do the Ettal Monastery & Linderhof or will it be convenient from Garmisch? Any hotel recommendations for Innsbruck are welcome. Our main attraction for staying in Innsbruck is the Crystal World at Wattens. Can we do Crystal World and Innsbruck if we base ourselves in Garmisch as we do like the town but are open to any other town/city if it is conveniently located?

Kind regards,
SKPKCP11
Old Mar 12th, 2012, 03:34 AM

Ettal and Linderhof are an easy daytrip from Garmisch. Much less convenient from Innsbruck.

You can do the Crystal World at Wattens from Garmisch as well, I am sure. Train connections Garmisch-Innsbruck are not bad, you know?

I personally don't think the Dolomites are worth a day trip from Innsbruck. They are beautiful, yes, but not *that* much different from other mountain ranges. The glaciers near Innsbruck (Stubai!) are much more spectacular - to me.

I.
Old Mar 12th, 2012, 09:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Ingo. If we base ourselves at Seefeld do you feel it would be ok. Only I am not too confident about the transportation connectivity from Seefeld. Which places do you recommend to see the glaciers? Any day trip recommendations are welcome if we base ourselves in Innsbruck or Seefeld. Just to highlight we are not into hiking and trekking but would enjoy great views if there are cable cars (no chair lifts please).

Kind regards,
SKPKCP11
Old Mar 14th, 2012, 01:22 AM

With only 3 full days you cannot see everything in the area. From the info you gave us I'd say do this:

1. Day trip Ettal/Oberammergau

dep. Seefeld 9.15, arr. Oberammergau 11.19

2. Wattens-Crystal world

hourly and even more frequently connections, takes an hour one-way.

3. Stubai valley/glacier (cable cars, no chair-lifts)

hourly connections via Innsbruck, from there take the cute tram to Fulpmes, from there bus to the glacier.

Staying in Seefeld is a good idea IMO, the hotels are quite upscale, prices in summer are reasonable. Nice rural ambience. Spend some time in Innsbruck as well, the old town is quite nice, definitely see castle Ambras with the gardens.
Old Mar 14th, 2012, 02:37 AM
J62

I agree with Ingo. Innsbruck is right in the middle of the Alps - no need to trek to the Dolomites unless you've exhausted your visit to the Alps.

Another nice 1/2 excursion from Innsbruck is to take the cable car to the top of the Patcherkofel mtn, on the south side of town. You get a wonderful of the mtns from there, and it's an easy outing.

Be prepared for freezing temperatures at the top of the mountain in May.
Old Mar 14th, 2012, 02:55 AM

Agree with J62 on the Patscherkofel excursion. Tram from Innsbruck to Igls, cable car to the top of Patscherkofel mountain. Amazing panoramic views. And options for short (or longer) walks.
Old Mar 14th, 2012, 03:14 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Hi,

Right from Innsbruck you could take the Nordkettenbahn funicular and cable car trip. Terrific trip.

www.nordkette.com/en/top/home.html

www.worldisround.com/articles/362561/index.html

I have to disagree that the Dolomites aren't that much different. I think they are unlike anything else in the Alps. That said, not sure I'd do a daytrip there with the other places you want to visit. Plus, most cable cars do not run in May. This is one of the earliest to open, on May 21:

www.alpedisiusi-seiseralm.com/index.html

This is just my opinion, as you said Crystal World is your main reason for staying in Innsbruck. My wife loves Swarovski Crystal and she thought (as I did) it was pretty much a waste of time visiting. Basically some moderately interesting displays with a huge store.

Once again, just my opinion... I'd suggest staying in Mittenwald, visit Oberammergau, Ettal and especially Linderhof. Linderhof would be my priority, it's specatcular inside. For a cable car trip, I'd suggest the Zugspitze trip (Garmisch) and maybe even the Karwendelbahn right from Mittenwald. Innsbruck is about an hour or less by train from Mittenwald. Mittenwald's train station is within easy walking distance (maybe 5 to 10 min.) to the "old town" pedestrian zone. Not really an old town, but a gorgeous village with a mountain backdrop.

www.worldisround.com/articles/324763/index.html

www.worldisround.com/articles/343800/index.html

Hope this helps.

Paul
Old Mar 14th, 2012, 11:22 PM
Original Poster

Dear All,

Thanks for the lovely suggestions and clarity. I have certainly decided to drop the Dolomites.

I will definitely add the Patscherkofel excursion to my to do list. Is this excursion different from the Stubai valley/Glacier excursion. Can someone give me more details of this excursion to the glacier? Is there any link? Glacier experience would definitely be fun for the kids. Would these two excursions be better than the Nordkettebahn?

For the Nordkettebahn should if we opt for the combi ticket, the cable car till Hungerburg is included in the combi ticket but if we wish to go all the way up till Hafelekar, we need to buy separate tickets.

Currently I have got hotel offers from Garmisch, Innsbruck and Seefeld. We will be coming from Zell Am See and proceeding to Munich so I am really lost in deciding which place to be based at.

We are foodies but do not want any frills and fancies. We prefer food on the go like burgers from the supermarket or hearty local German/Austrian food.
Any recommendations please are welcome?

Any suggestions are welcome on which are the local food chains and specialities etc. where we must go and what we must eat?

Kind regards,
SKPKCP11
Old Mar 15th, 2012, 02:17 AM

This is the website for the Stubai glacier:
http://www.stubaier-gletscher.com/en/summer/

There is a short, safe walking trail on top of the glacier which should be fun to do for the kids. Spectacular views also.

The Patscherkofel is very different. First, there is no glacier as it's not that high elevation. Second, it's a 360° panoramic view from a lower viewpoint than from the glacier, different perspective. The views include the wide Inn valley and the city of Innsbruck. Third, it's lovely pastures with blooming wildflowers around you.

Please note the Patscherkofel cable car is closed for maintenance until 26 May!

http://www.patscherkofelbahnen.at/en/summer

It makes no big difference where you'll be based. Insbruck would be city ambience, Garmisch small town, Seefeld even smaller town. To add more confusion, I do think Mittenwald would be your best bet.

Sorry, but I am not really into the hearty, heavy Bavarian/Tyrolean food.
Old Mar 15th, 2012, 03:44 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
If interested in staying in Mittenwald, check out:

www.schwalbennestl.de

www.edlhuber-mittenwald.de

We liked our 2 stays ('05, '06) at the Pension Schwalbennestl.

Our friends liked their stay at the Edlhuber in 2010.
Old Mar 15th, 2012, 09:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks All for the quick revert.

Kind regards,
SKPKCP11