Please don't let me starve in Venice

Jan 30th, 2006, 05:44 PM
Original Poster

Please don't let me starve in Venice

That should get your attention!

My only other trip to Venice was about 5 years ago. Maybe I was unlucky, but the food was the worst I had in all of Italy. (that's tough to do, since it's all so good - not my luck in Venice though).

I used the Time Out guide from that year and I don't know, I had no luck. The only good place to eat I found by accident.

Can anyone name for me their favorite places to eat there? Or just good food?

I was there off season which likely didn't help. I tell ya, if it weren't for the gelato and the caffe I would have starved!
Jan 30th, 2006, 05:58 PM

We had a wonderful dinner at Al Graspo de Ua, an easy walk from St. Mark's Square on the Calle dei Bombaseri...food was excellent and the staff could not have been nicer...
Jan 30th, 2006, 06:40 PM

We enjoyed Acqua Pazza and Masaniello (recommended by Locanda Orseolo), but our favorite was probably this one:

Al Fontego dei Pescatori
Calle Priuli 3726
(just off strade de nuovo in cannaregio)

I can still remember the seafood lasagne, which I didn't think I would like. My husband ordered it and I was jealous!
Jan 30th, 2006, 06:57 PM

we really enjoyed Da Raffaele. Liked it so much we went twice. Not far from St. Mark's.
Jan 31st, 2006, 12:40 AM

i did not research and had similar experience (not the greatest food). that said, i did come to love the fantastic pre-made sandwiches you found at the cafes or stand up counters (like hard boiled egg & tomato, roasted vegetables, etc.). i also found a grocery store that had a wonderful deli in back.
Jan 31st, 2006, 01:34 AM

We enjoyed Da Raffaele , too. Corta Sconta ,nr St Mark's ,served wonderful seafood.

I think you said you were staying at the Wildner, don't they also have a estaurant?
Jan 31st, 2006, 03:23 AM
ira

Hi F,

Cantinone Storico is on a canal near the Accademia Bridge, within sound of the bells of one of the churches. Lovely atmosphere. Excellent cooking. Very good presentation. Superior service.

Ala Madonna, near the Rialto is also good. Dinner was even better the second time, as they decided we were serious and not just a one-night stand.

Jan 31st, 2006, 04:06 AM

We loved the pizzas at Antica Birraria La Corte and had them several times, the pannecote was great too.

Although the restaurant is modern inside, it is not ugly and the service is very good. They also have a bar area for drinks.

It is in Campo San Polo, just a quick walk from Rialto Bridge.
At night it is filled with locals.

http://www.restaurantsomh.com/v28.htm
Jan 31st, 2006, 04:18 AM

My favorite is La Zucca: Ponte del Megio, Santa Croce 1762.

Here's a review: http://www.restaurantsomh.com/v25.htm

Also like pizza (particularly the pumpkin pizza) at Ai Sportivi for lunch: Campo Santa Margherita, Dorsoduro, 3052

Le Bistrot de Venise is fantastic but expensive. If you can only do dessert there, I would highly recommend it.

Another vote for Acqua Pazza (best pizza in Venice) and Al Fontego.
Jan 31st, 2006, 04:22 AM

La Zucca has a website...just remembered:

http://www.lazucca.it/

ALSO...Centrale Lounge is a great place for drinks/hanging out -- but they were also recommended for dinner (we did not have a chance to eat there).

http://www.centrale-lounge.com/

I have a detailed trip report which focuses on food here (but please forgive the incomplete state of it):

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34738499
Jan 31st, 2006, 04:26 AM
Original Poster

wow, excellent advice from everyone. I may have to stay extra days now!
Jan 31st, 2006, 05:51 AM

Two things to keep in mind about food in Venice:

1) Don't expect the Olive Garden. Venetian cuisine is very different from the rest of Italy. It is not pasta and tomato sauce based as most Americans expect of "Italian" food.

2) Because of the way the city is laid out, certain sections are heavily impacted by the pathetic day-tripping herds--the infamous "Daytrippers' Alley" roughly running along the Grand Canal from the train station and P. Roma to the Rialto area and on to P. San Marco. As a result of this daily stampede, the worst restaurants, shrillest shills, and tackiest souvenir shops are concentrated right where most visitors gain their impressions of Venice. Not to mention the daily collection of trash.

Walk a bit away from these areas and there is a very different experience waiting. But the food will still be different from the rest of Italy.
Jan 31st, 2006, 05:52 AM

If you can get a reservation, don't miss Alle Testiere.
Jan 31st, 2006, 05:56 AM

Someone posted these once in fodors and i copied them in december 2002...
Paradiso Perduto, Cannaregio, Fondamenta della Misericordia 2540
Corte Sconta, Castello, Calle San Pestrin 3886
All'Antica Mola, Cannaregio, Fondamenta degli Ormesini 2800
Ai Barbacani, Castello, Calle Paradiso 5746
Da Alberto, Cannaregio, Calle Larga Gallina 5401 (it's Donna Leon's favourite restaurant)
Antica Besseta, Santa Croce, Salizida Giusto 1395 (left of it is the narrowest lane of Venice)
Alle Testiere, Castello, Calle Mundo Nuovo 5081
Canaletto, Castello, Calle Malvasia 5490
Vecio Fritolin, Santa Croce, Calle Regina 2262

And I have to add my Venetion affordable favorite, simply the way it has to be: Cantinone storica not far from the Accademia.
Jan 31st, 2006, 06:01 AM

Good morning The DA RAFFELE is currently closed for remodeling and will reopen on Saturday Feb. 18. Also
closed for remodeling is the LA CARRAVALE, don't have a reopening date on it. Other places we have used in past years and used again are:
BAR AL TEATRO, Compo S. Fantin, $$$
does have a pretty good pizza along with
other dishes both meat and fish.

DA TONY, CHAT QUI RIT, San Marco Fezzeria, 1131. $$$ is a self service
ristorante with very good food and also
pizza, might have to share a table.
located close to the Pza S. Marco.

Ristorante HONG KONG Cannaregio Stradda Nuova, 3286, $$$ for a change from Italian food to presentable Chinese..
located about two blocks down from the
Rialto Bridge.

ANTICA TRATTORIA POSTE VECIE, Rialto
Pescheria, 1608. $$$$ special occasion
ristorante with excellant fish dishes.
Located within the Rialto Pescheria...

Richard of LaGrange Park, IL>
Jan 31st, 2006, 06:09 AM

Yes, my favourite area is Canareggio and there are 2 great places to eat that won't break the bank...Paradiso Perduto and Antica Mola. Both get very crowded very quickly. If you can't get a reservation, do lunch!
Jan 31st, 2006, 06:13 AM
Original Poster

thanks! more good info.

Rufus, if it were like Olive Garden I surely would starve. uck!
Feb 1st, 2006, 01:44 PM

Agree on Olive Garden, but so many people think it is so wonderful and "reeeeal Eye-tal-ean."
Feb 1st, 2006, 01:55 PM

Besides, Cantinone Storico, what do people recommend in Dorsoduro, especially near La Calcina or the Accademia area? Favor inexpensive over gourmet. Thanks!
Feb 1st, 2006, 01:58 PM

We LOVED Ristorante Agli Alboretti, Accademia 884, very close to the Accadamia Bridge in Dosodouro. If you do a search, you can make reservations online.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO