Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Please critizue or praise my tentative trip to Burgundy and Dordogne with a few stops in between (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/please-critizue-or-praise-my-tentative-trip-to-burgundy-and-dordogne-with-a-few-stops-in-between-733661/)

dac Sep 2nd, 2007 06:13 PM

Please critizue or praise my tentative trip to Burgundy and Dordogne with a few stops in between

I would love to have some feedback to the following tentative itinerary:
June 3 - arrive CDG, pick up rental and drive to Beaune (Hotel Le Cep)
June 4 - Beaune
June 5 - Beaune
June 6 - Drive to Annecy (Hotel du Palais de L'Isle
June 7 - Annecy
June 8 - Drive to Le Puy-en-Velay (Regina Hotel)
June 9 - 15 Sarlat (Clos la Boetie)
June 16 -Drop off rental at Brive rail station and take TGV into Paris (Hotel Lutece Ile St. Louis
June 17 - Paris
June 18 - Fly home

Please feel free to give me the good, the bad and the ugly regarding this itinerary. Also, anyone who has stayed at these hotels or can recommend others - all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Dac

dac Sep 3rd, 2007 05:55 AM

ttt

ira Sep 3rd, 2007 07:08 AM

Hi dac,

It's about 3:30 hr by car, almost all of it on highway, from CDG to Beaune.

If you are coming from the US, do you want to drive that distance in a jet-lagged condition?

You can take the train from CDG to Beaune (4 hr) or Avignon (3:30 hr, 25E).

See www.voyages-sncf.com and enter Roissy for your departure point.

We very much enjoyed our stay at www.hotel-grillon.fr in Beaune.

See my trip report for details:
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=35014078

Enjoy your visit.

((I))

traveller1959 Sep 3rd, 2007 07:26 AM

For my taste, it is too much driving. You will have hardly a chance to see something.

I would skip Le Puy-en-Velay. I don't find it too exciting. Better spend another day in the Alps. One full day for Bourgogne is too short. Skip one or two of the Sarlat days and take a little more time for Bourgogne and/or Paris.

TuckH Sep 3rd, 2007 07:45 AM

> I would skip Le Puy-en-Velay. <

We went out of our way (en route to the Provence) to go there and were quite disappointed. So - yes - I would skip Le Puy-en-Velay.

> Better spend another day in the Alps. <

We stayed near Annecy and, from there, had a wonderful day above Chamonix. So - yes - Better spend another day in the Alps.

dac Sep 3rd, 2007 07:59 AM

Thanks for your replies. If I skip Le Puy en Velay, then I guess I will just drive from Annecy to Sarlat. I know it is about a 5 1/2 hour drive. Anyone have any other suggestions or comments about the itinerary?

bilboburgler Sep 3rd, 2007 08:35 AM

Well I go on about Chablis and Auxerre though others are probably bored with my views. I find Beaune a bit dull and at least Chablis is small and pretty. Also there are a few lovely monesteries around and hollowed out hills filled with wine (Isigney for example).

If I had gone down this far by car I would pop over to Bescancon, look at the fortress and then the chapel at the end of the Vosges then back via Champagne to Paris.

hausfrau Sep 3rd, 2007 10:03 AM

dac, we drove from the Rhone Valley (Cliousclat) to Domme in a day with no trouble. I have been to Le Puy en Velay too and it made for a nice day trip, but we were not awe-inspired by it. If you want to break up the trip you might consider spending a night in the Massif Central region a bit further west, south of Puy de Dome - a gorgeous, scarcely populated area quite unlike anywhere else I have been in France. There are lots of quaint towns to choose from; Le Murol and Besse-en-Chandesse come to mind. I think the route from Annecy would be through Clermont-Ferrand to Puy de Dome and then it would be an easy drive south to the Dordogne.

RJD Sep 3rd, 2007 10:15 AM

It is rather a long drive from CDG to Beaune. I have a few times taken the TGV to Dijon and rented a car there at the train station. From there it's a pleasant 40 minute drive to Beaune.
Your time in Beaune seems about right to sample the town, which is not big, and tour the nearby vineyards. Sounds like a fun trip.

dac Sep 4th, 2007 07:13 AM

Thanks to everyone for the advice. Anyone else?