Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Please critique my packing list (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/please-critique-my-packing-list-1037772/)

crckwc1 Feb 15th, 2015 03:11 PM

Please critique my packing list

Trying to pack fairly light for a 35-day trip to Germany, Austria, Switzerland in June/July. I plan to pack 2 pair of nylon travel slacks, a 2-piece black knit pants outfit, 4 or 5 knit tops, 3 scarves, one pair shoes, cardigan sweater, 1 gown, slippers, 3 undies. I plan to wash and drip dry overnight (or 2 nights) while traveling. I may add my light weight silk long johns in case of cold weather. On the plane I'll wear jeans, shirt, scarf and, of course, shoes, and I'll carry my waterproof jacket. I can't imagine going with any less than this. What do you think?

mokka4 Feb 15th, 2015 03:27 PM

Why 3 scarves+ wearing one? Wear one, take one. Gown? Are you sure there is an occasion to wear it? Otherwise, quite good.

roefn Feb 15th, 2015 03:46 PM

I think it is perfect, you have given me a great idea of what to pack for my upcoming trip. Thank you and Bon voyage !

greg Feb 15th, 2015 03:50 PM

I am not sure you routinely require warm clothes. Silk long john in case of cold weather in June/July?

You can easily look up historical weather at many of your destinations. For example, if Salzburg is on your list, here is what happened in June 2014. http://www.wunderground.com/history/...tename=Austria

If your waterproof jacket something you can wear without sweating when it is in the upper 70F's?

nytraveler Feb 15th, 2015 03:56 PM

Nylon pants???? Sounds extremely uncomfortable. I always have cotton knit with a touch of lycra to keep the shape for daytime, Perfectly comfortable no matter how hot it gets -and be aware the places you are going will not have AC and it can get quite warm.

crckwc1 Feb 15th, 2015 04:03 PM

Re gown: wear it every night - to bed. LOL

Sue_xx_yy Feb 15th, 2015 04:03 PM

You left out good socks. 4 or 5 pairs. You'll be doing a lot of walking. Be sure you are accustomed to the shoes you take.

crckwc1 Feb 15th, 2015 04:06 PM

greg - I won't be wearing the waterproof jacket if it's in the 70's. I'll have an umbrella in case of rain.

crckwc1 Feb 15th, 2015 04:08 PM

Sue, I did indeed leave off sox. Of course I'll pack probably 3 pair, wear one. Shoes are well broken in so no problem there.

crckwc1 Feb 15th, 2015 04:16 PM

nytraveler, The pants are actually quite comfortable, even in our 100+ weather here in Texas. Have taken them on several trips and they're great. (Travex)

crckwc1 Feb 15th, 2015 04:17 PM

roefn, Happy travels to you!

crckwc1 Feb 15th, 2015 04:18 PM

greg - ever been in the mountains of Switzerland in June?

aliced Feb 15th, 2015 05:12 PM

-Gown = nightie, of course
-Waterproof hooded jacket I have is Marmot and packs in own pocket, 6" zippers in armpits, unlined = no problem
-Travex/wicking/quickdry pants are probably polyester blend, perhaps pair or two w/ zip-off legs? Mine go w/ me four seasons) = perfect choice
Plus:
- You'll need a hat or visor for sun
- Walking lightwt sandals (Teva?), not flipflops
- 2 tank tops = base if cool, alone if hot (Uniqlo Airism are fabulous and inexpensive)
Great minimal list for carryon!

joannyc Feb 15th, 2015 05:17 PM

No one is going to tell you that you are taking too much!!!��

LSky Feb 15th, 2015 07:01 PM

Instead of slippers I always bring flip-flops for the room, if there's a pool and at the end of the trip they can be packing material with duct tape.

crckwc1 Feb 15th, 2015 07:09 PM

Thanks to all - great tips!

happytourist Feb 15th, 2015 07:26 PM

That's close to what I take, except I always add a pair of black suede Mary Jane shoes for evenings. They pack easily and it's nice to slip out of the trainers after a long day.

We're going to Europe for 3 weeks in the fall, followed by an 18 day cruise and the only thing I will add to this is a silk jacket for evening wear. As long as everything coordinates, and I use black for the basic pieces, that's plenty of clothes.

I do throw in a few of those cheap plastic disposable ponchos.

justineparis Feb 15th, 2015 07:53 PM

I think list is fine.. ( with addition of socks of course) I also tend to prefer dresses and skirts to pants.. only pack one pair of pants myself.

I have been to Switzerland in July ,,, and we were told there was snow on some higher hiking trails till June.. however.. are you actually planning on hiking on high trails?

I also agree that flip flops are better then slippers..

And I always take one pair of attractive but good walking sandals ( I like Naots)..

AJPeabody Feb 16th, 2015 09:33 AM

Increase the underwear from 3 sets up to 5 or 6. Something will happen to prevent either washing or drying sometime and they weigh little.