Search

Please Critique My Czech Republic and Poland Itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30th, 2010, 08:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please Critique My Czech Republic and Poland Itinerary

Hello,

I am planning a two week road trip through parts of the Czech Republic and Poland with my husband and daughter who will be 1.5 years old at the time of travel. Due to flight availability, we have found ourselves with an extra day but are unsure where to add it into our itinerary. I welcome any suggestions.

Current Itinerary:

Day 1-4: Prague
Day 5-6: Cesky Krumlov
Day 7: Telc
Day 8: Olomouc
Day 9-11: Krakow
Day 12-14: Warsaw

Thank you in advance!
Old Jun 30th, 2010, 11:53 PM

Can't really comment on your Itinary but if you have an extra day I woild use it to spend more time in the last place you are visiting,that way you will have had a few days not travelling bofore you hed home.
For Prague and the Czech Republic this website may be of interest to you.Run by and English expat who is married to a Czech Lady and has young children,lots of great info on the city and country as well as a lot of info for folk travelling with young children.
http://www.livingprague.com/
Old Jul 1st, 2010, 03:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hi: If you are in Warsaw on a Sunday, take in the Chopin concert in the park [free]. See this site for downloads of some of the places you are visiting. An extra day in Warsaw would work. Or one of the other two large cities you are visiting, Prague and Krakow. Richard www.inyourpocket.com
Old Jul 1st, 2010, 09:41 AM

I would probably add another day to Prague to get over jet lag and do a day trip to the countryside or just hang out in the parks and gardens.
Old Jul 1st, 2010, 06:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks uclegus and iris for the websites, I am bookmarking them. Ingo, I have definitely thought about the extra day in Prague but we have a day in London on the way in that we are using to get over our jet lag. However, it might be nice to have a lazy day in Prague where we check out the countryside or some parks. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old Aug 25th, 2010, 02:48 AM

Use a spread sheet..plot your destinations..plot the travel times..it is often better to 'back schedule'. Don't neglect to read the Fodor's guides. Driving in CR and Pol is dangerous. You both need an IDP. Be aware that there are now many motels along all the main highways. Are you going to rent a car? Inquire about drop-off charges. Forget the cities...visit the National Parks..
Old Aug 25th, 2010, 04:36 AM

Add the extra day to Krakow, especially as it will take you most of a day to get there from Olomouc. I loved Krakow and didn't have enough time there.
Old Aug 25th, 2010, 07:28 AM

I would add a day to Krakow and take one from Prague. Krakow is a great city with many things to do in the city and surrounding areas. Warsaw is interesting but not much is left of the Old Town area to warrant 3 day's. I wish I would of add a day or two to Krakow.
Old Aug 25th, 2010, 07:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all for the responses.

GSteed, your comments are all valid. We've done several Central/Eastern European road trips so we are aware of those things but we learned that from trial and error. We love national parks but we will have an 18 month old in tow so we're going to need cities and their conveniences for now.

Adrienne and TravelingMan, Krakow is where we were thinking of adding the extra day, that is the city I'm most interested in.
Old Aug 25th, 2010, 08:35 PM

There's no way I'd drop a day in Prague. I'd take Prague over Krakow, but considering you have fewer days in Krakow and probably one more than necessary for Warsaw, I'd switch a Warsaw day to Krakow.

The prague post is an English language newspaper, has website. Google "Jason C. Holt" -- he was a Brit ex-pat living in Prague who kept a website about the city.
Old Aug 25th, 2010, 08:49 PM

I've been to all the places on your list and personally I wouldn't spend 3 days in Warsaw. Are you planning to visit Auschwitz which is not far from Krakow? A sobering experience. You mention you are travelling by car. I presume you are aware of the expense of picking up a car in one country and leaving it in another.
http://www.jeremytaylor.eu/prague_photos.html
http://www.jeremytaylor.eu/cesky_krumlov_photos.htm
http://www.jeremytaylor.eu/telc.htm
Old Aug 30th, 2010, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone. We actaully decided to leave a day earlier and are adding an additional day in both Krakow and Warsaw.

JeremyinFrance - yes, we are aware of the foreign drop-off fee, but the benefit of having the car with an 18 month old outweighed the cost. We really enjoy driving through the coutryside and stopping off at smaller towns off the main guidebook path as well. Regardless, we will also get to enjoy the train experience between Krakow and Warsaw sicne we will be dropping the car after a day in Krakow.