Search

Please critique my Barcelona 3 day itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 2011, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please critique my Barcelona 3 day itinerary

Hi!

I am going to be in Barcelona for 3 days next October and would really love to get some feedback on my itinerary!

I though of spending day 1 at Port Vell....a ride on the Golondrinas, Museu Maritim, Aquarium, Maremagnum, Barceloneta and Port Olimpic

Day 2: Sagrada Famiglia, Els Encants Market, La Pedrera and some shopping in Avinguda Diagonal, Passeig de Gracia, Placa Catalunya and Carrer Pelai. (Maybe finish the day at Parc de Cervantes if we still have time.

Day 3: Rambla especially the Boquieria market, Monument de Colom, Museu de Cera....see some squares such as Placa Reial and Placa del Pi.....maybe have a look at shops in Portal del Angel. (Yeah guess you can say i want to do some shopping in Barcelona heheh!)

Any comments positive or negative will be of great help.

Thanks a real lot!
Old Aug 13th, 2011, 10:57 AM

I'd add Parc Guell - it is a bit out of the main sight-seeing zone but a very unique Gaudi site.
Old Aug 13th, 2011, 11:57 AM

Barcelona is a fascinating city.

Watch your step in la Boqueria. My sister had her purse stolen by a clever thief posing as a waiter in a restaurant there. I think her purse was on the floor beside her chair, though she says it was in her lap. Fortunately, she had given me her passport and ATM card to put in my money belt, so all she lost was her camera.

We really enjoyed seeing the Sardana danced by local people. I believe we saw it at the Placa de Sant Jaume, but it also takes place in front of the Cathedral every Sunday at noon and Saturday at 6:00 p.m.. It's nothing fancy. Just a Zorba-the-Greek type dance with a wide variety of locals holding hands and dancing.

Of course the modernista architecture on the "block of discord" is really fascinating, as is Casa Milá, but my favorite modernista architecture/interior is in the Palau de Música Cataluyna. It's gorgeous.

I love Barcelona, but I am especially careful there because it has a reputation for thievery of a non-violent type.
Old Aug 13th, 2011, 02:32 PM

I have been to Barcelona 5 times and never experienced any problems.

of course, in 3 days you cannot see all :

Casa Batllo
Palau de Musica Catalana
Parc Guel.
Montjuc ( Miro Museum and MNAC)
Santa Maria del Mar and El Born ( Picasso Museum)
Old Aug 13th, 2011, 02:54 PM
yk

I find your itinerary a bit unusual. Personally, I'd say danon listed the must-sees. There will be crowds and lines in October, so visiting these places may take longer than you think
Old Aug 13th, 2011, 05:58 PM

yk makes a good point
Sagrada Familia and Casa Mila are always crowded.
Old Aug 14th, 2011, 12:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot for your replies...sorry I forgot to mention that I've already been to Barcelona so I've already seen places such as the Palau de la musica catalana, Parc Guell and Montjuic....So this time since I'm going for a short time I'm only revisiting the Sagrada Famiglia and La Pedrera (I can't not see them again...too beautiful!) Otherwise I'm looking more for a relaxing holiday....think my itinerary is doable?
Old Aug 14th, 2011, 01:11 AM

Every time we go to Barcelona we visit the SDagrada Familia and play a game of "What's been done since last time". I hope to keep going till it's finished. I should be only 130 by then!

I hope the schedule is relaxing, but it does sound a very packed programme. However, pace is all and strolling the shops on Gracia is not relaxing for my wallet!

While in the Portal del Angel, have a look at the 4 Cats restaurant, where Picasso used to eat. It's down the alley called the Carrer de Montsio--it's on the left with your back to the Placa de Catalunya. The dining room behind the bar area is stunning and very Catalonian. It's worth booking to eat there if you have the time.
Old Aug 14th, 2011, 04:18 AM

It looks fine and quite doable -- now that I have the benefit to know that you visited the "big sights" already

Since you have been in BCN before, you may remember that most stores are closed on sundays (except tourist/souvenir stores in the historic center and the Maremagnum mall).

DAY 1
You should check the Museu Maritim's website if they still have renovations going on.
When walking from the Aquarium/Maremagnum to Barceloneta, you will pass the Museum of Catalan History. The side facing the old harbor is lined with - mostly somewhat upscale - restaurants. But the true "hidden gem" is the Museum's cafeteria & restaurant on the top floor. You can have just a drink/snack or a full meal with a view over the harbor, and don't need to pay entrance fee for the museum to get there.

For something slightly off the beaten track:

Monestir de Pedralbes, beautiful and serene - in Zona Alta, but fairly easy to reach with public transport

If you like the Sagrada Familia, you might be interested in the Hospital de Sant Pau. Not sure if I read anything about renovations, though..

Explore a bit of Gràcia.. it's like a small town enclosed by big Barcelona.. also a bunch of more quirky shops and cafes. Pl Sol is a good place for lunch or copas.. feels like the central square of a small Spanish town.

Coming back to Shopping / DAY3:
The most unusual, design, startup business are in Raval. If you look for something more unique or individual than the usual Desigual-Custo-Zara-etc. fare, check out the upper Raval. Roughly the area enclosed by the Rambles, C/Hospital, Ronda Sant Antoni, Pl Universitat, C/ Pelai.
I think a stroll there would fit easily in day 3.

by the way:
The official city guide from Barcelona Turisme is one of the cheapest (€10) and surprisingly excellent in showing sights in all areas of BCN, each with a small fold-out map of the district. Especially for those who get there the 2nd, 3rd or more time an need some inspirations beyond the "usual suspects" (which are also included).
Old Aug 15th, 2011, 03:50 PM

I second Cowboy's suggestion to explore Gracia, especially since you've been to Barcelona before. It's quiet, fewer tourists, & has a small neighborhood ambience. This is the excerpt from my trip report: "We had lunch in a small square, Placa de la Virrenia, next to a cute church, dining outside again. The restaurant is Café Virrenia. We had sandwiches, plate of Spanish olives, potato chips & drinks."

If you visit the monastery at Pedrables, you can have a delicious lunch at el Mato de Pedrables, Bisbe Catala, 10, across the street from the monastery.

If you have the time, another nice neighborhood to explore is Sarria, where locals live, & we saw school children dressed in school uniforms getting out of school.
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks a million for your suggestions...@ Lifeman I like the game...It will only be my second time there but I hope there will be many more...Thanks for suggesting the guide book since so far I've only depended on the internet...Sarria sounds like a cool place...will try to fit it in.