Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Please critique itinerary for Italy & France

Old Jan 29th, 2003, 12:55 PM
northerngirl

After many months, and many questions, we've finally reached a consensus for our trip to Italy and France in March. We have a quiet, relatively stress-free life and like to be &quot;on the go&quot; for our vacations with a preference for smaller towns. Do you see any glaring glitches,(other than who'd want to do it this fast) in our plans?<BR><BR>5 nights in Rome<BR>1 night Orvieto after picking up car in Rome<BR>4 nights near Sienna<BR>2 nights in Levanto<BR>Drop car in San Remo, pick up new car in Menton, then drive to Fontieville (not sure how long this day will be, but will be long)<BR>2 nights near Arles<BR>1 night Carcassonne (my husband won't budge on this one)<BR>3 nights Rocamadour<BR>Drop car in Brive, train to Paris<BR>4 nights in Paris<BR><BR>We know we are breezing through Provence, but we are planning to visit again during the summer and thought a little preview would be nice. Any ideas for side trips, or rearrangements in our schedule, would be welcome. Thanks! <BR><BR><BR><BR>

Old Jan 29th, 2003, 01:32 PM
rex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your itinerary looks well thought out. My jealousy at your 22 days to spend like this exceeds my ability to analyze in any minute way.<BR><BR>The only question I have at all, is where you are choosing to stay near Siena or at Rocamadour. Somewhere in there, there might be the need for doing some laundry, perhaps. Not that laundry has to occur at the place where you are staying, of course.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>[email protected]<BR>
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 01:35 PM

Looks pretty good to me. I don't think you'll be sorry you spent the night in Carcassonne. If you want a treat, get off the autoroute and wend your way to Rocamadour from Carcassonne on the back roads through Revel, St-Ferr&eacute;ol, Gaillac, Graulhet, etc. - and consider a side trip to Albi on the way.<BR><BR>I think three nights in Rocamadour is too much. You can see Rocamadour AND the other nearby attractions (Martel, Collonges-la-Rouge, Gouffre de Padirac) in one day pretty easily, especially in March.<BR><BR>I would spend only one night in Rocamadour. It's an interesting pilgrimage site but not necessarily a place you'd want to hang out for long, and the surrounding countryside, while interesting, doesn't have nearly as many sights to see as areas west of Rocamadour. You might want to consider spending a night in Albi on the way to Rocamadour and then the night after rocamadour in/near Sarlat, or spending one night in Rocamadour and then two nights in/near Sarlat. In which case it would be easier to drop your car off in P&eacute;rigueux and take the train from there.
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 03:56 PM

I agree with St. Cirq - three nights in Rocamodour is too many. We spent a day there last fall (2002) and it was the perfect amount of time. Take two nights in Sarlat instead. . .it is a lovely town. There's more to hold your interest there, but inside the old town, which is fairly large, it still feels like time has slowed down.
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 05:51 PM

I like your overall itinerary. I hate one niters, so I would spend half a day in Orvieto and continue on. You are less than 2 hours from Siena, and only an hour from the Val d' Orcia. Consider taking S-2 north from outside Orvieto rather than A-1. You could add the time later--perhaps at Levanto.<BR>I assume you have done your homework on the musical car scenario, but what a hassle to avoid a drop charge. Looks like a great trip to me--good luck !
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 06:53 PM
northerngirl

Well, I posted a reply earlier, but something must have gone wrong. Thanks to everyone for your suggestions, which are making me think things through a little more. We're going to take St. Cirque's and Canadienne's suggestions to stay in Sarlat if we can find something in our price range - which keeps getting smaller lately. Thanks, Rex, for the laundry reminder, I hadn't figured that one out yet. And Bob, we also aren't too fond of one-nighters, but we are worried that we will take too long getting out of Rome to Orvieto and end up missing the underground tour. For some reason my husband wants to see that and another nearly abandoned town in the area. Since we will just be &quot;gearing&quot; up with our driving, we didn't want to rush things too much. Hopefully we aren't twiddling our thumbs and wishing we were in Siena. Thanks again.

Old Jan 30th, 2003, 05:43 AM
rex

You're welcome.<BR>
Old Jan 30th, 2003, 05:52 AM

Good idea--do stop and see Civita enroute. I suggest taking S-2 north thru Viterbo, then to Civita, and then approaching Orvieto from the west. That is a fabulous sight and the only way you can drive into town. If you exit from A-1, you have to drive around to the west side to get into town. Have fun !
Old Jan 31st, 2003, 04:47 PM
northerngirl

Wow, posting *is* difficult. Bob, I just wanted to add that I think it may be one of your earlier suggestions that convinced us to try the Viterbo - Civita - Orvieto route. Our only problem is we are picking up our car at Termini. My husband insists it will be a snap to get to Viterbo, but I will be holding my breath until we are completely out of Rome. Thanks for the help, we can't wait to see those views.