Please critique itinerary for end of Sept 20004

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24th, 2004, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Fodors friends! Hoping for tips/reassurrance for my plan. This is built around my friend's wedding in Venice the 2nd weekend. I know it sounds rushed - or does it??

Saturday - AM - arrive in Naples, either train to Herculaneum then train/bus to Positano or suck it up and pay a driver to do the same. Spend night in Positano (Villa Rosa)

Sunday - explore Positano (hiking) and Monteperfuso, leisurely day, dinner in Positano

Monday - ferry to Capri, spend the day here, rent boat or take guided tour of island, hike, shop, eat, return to Positano for last night here

Tuesday - explore Amalfi, Ravello, spend night in Ravello. Unfortunatly, it turns out that there are no concerts this night. should we stay in Amalfi instead?

Wednesday train to Florence, have emailed multiple hotels for vacancies

Thursday - tour florence (yes, i know one day in Florence is terrible)

Friday - train to Venice for wedding activities (have spent 3 days here in the past.)
Monday - fly home.

any suggestions for other little towns that are "must sees" on AC? am I OK in skipping sorrento (as tempting as it is to check out the webcam)?

Thanks, Julie
Old Jul 24th, 2004, 12:45 PM

How exciting! Positano and Ravello are the gems of AC. Absolutely stay in those two towns! (If you can swing it, Le Sirenuse is our favorite hotel ever and so worth every last dollar). Capri is beautiful too, and perfect for a day trip. I would not feel bad skipping Amalfi or Sorrento. They are fairly generic by comparison. For us, time seems to stop when we goto the AC, and we've found it most enjoyable to linger in Positano, Ravello, and Capri. If you don't mind turning round and round the coast line, you might also consider getting a rental car to have freedom from the bus schedule. A taxi from Naples to AC is $65 one way, and rental cars are cheap.
Old Jul 24th, 2004, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

I only wish we could stay at La Sirenuse! Perhaps for an anniversary in the future. I do not want to rent a car and brave the roads, especially since my husband can't drive a manual car and I'm always the vacation driver. Not this time! I have looked into renting a car to get from Naples to Positano, but I wouldhave to drop off in Sorrento and it is still over $100 for just a few hours.
Old Jul 24th, 2004, 01:50 PM
ira

Hi jck,

Looks OK to me.

How are you planning on training to Florence - via Salerno or via Naples?
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 01:45 AM

Hi Jck4- Lucky you. When is the wedding? If later in the tourist season you should be able to find a room in Florence without a problem. On such a short stay in Florence you might want to pre-book reservations at the popular sites (Academia, Uffizi Gallery, Boboli Gardens, etc) or face the prospect of waiting in long lines.

You can't go wrong at the Villa Rosa (upper 3rd or 4th floors). It sits right above the Le Sirenuse and has a better view at a 3rd the cost. I found the restaurants in Montepertuso much better than those in Positano- La Tagliata and Il Ritrovo both send cars, are reasonable in price and serve delicious food; Dona Rosa elegant but expensive dining, no car. Villa Rosa will happily make all reservations for you.

Spend the night in Ravello if you can do it. Cooler and quieter. The views from there in the morning or evening are gorgeous. Try breakfast or dinner in the scenic terrace restaurant of the Villa Maria Hotel. Very romantic with excellent service. I heard there is a restaurant near the bus stop called Salvatore's with a great view of the town of Minori too. At night, the locals gather in the town square. The concerts in the Villa Rufolo gardens at night are spectacular (although the Philip Glass concert we went to was boring.) It is a short 20 min ride up from Amalfi on the bus(1.3 euros). Bus ride with luggage from Positano 30 mins for less than 2 euros on Sita buses which run about twice an hr. Villa Rosa has bus schedule. Say hi to Velia, Angela, and Marriana for me- they are great. You will love breakfast on your terrace in the morning or just being a couch potato on your private terrace enjoying the view.
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 04:36 PM
Original Poster

Ira - not sure if travelling via Salerno or Naples. I looked at train schedules and the train from Salerno to Florence stops in Naples anyway. Tried finding a posting of the bus schedules from Ravello to Amalfi and then to Salerno but gave up after some difficulty. Tips on where to look again?

Anecke - How do I book ahead for museums? I emailed 3 hotels/B&Bs in Florence yesterday and hope to hear back tomorrow. Our room at the Villa Rosa is on the 2nd floor, semi obstructed, I have asked to move up if another/higher room becomes available. The restaurants in Montepertuso actually come pick you up?? I looked at the Villa Rufulo schedule, and there is nothing the night of the 28th when we plan to be there. Do you think it is feasable to take the bus over from Positano to Ravello one of the nights we will be there? Do they run that late at night? (10:30ish?)It is a shame I didnt figure this out earlier, as it would be a pain to switch our reservations at villa rosa just so i could be in ravello a night of a concert. Thanks for all your help!!
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 06:46 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 07:23 AM
ira

Hi jck,

>Ira - not sure if travelling via Salerno or Naples.

It is easier to get fromRavello to Salerno than it is to get to Naples.

Take the bus to Amalfi. Then either the bus or the ferry to Salerno.

Your hotel can give you the schedules or try
http://www.sita-on-line.it/Orari.html and click on Campania. Then click on ORARI delle LINEE LOCALI e a LUNGA PERCORRENZA in CAMPANIA

You want "quadro 15"

I looked at train schedules and the train from Salerno to Florence stops in Naples anyway. Tried finding a posting of the bus schedules from Ravello to Amalfi and then to Salerno but gave up after some difficulty. Tips on where to look again?
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 03:58 PM
Original Poster

Hi - Its me again; from doing some reading on this site, it seems as if POSSIBLY Capri is overrated - great if you like to shop (don't) and the Blue Grotto is not "all that". Thoughts on this? What is a recommended alternative as a daytrip from Positano? (Already going to Ravello, Amalfi)
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 04:15 PM

Would you have any interest in Pompeii?
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 06:20 PM
Original Poster

Jocelyn - we are spending half a day in Herculaneum, which is similar to Pompeii but apparently less crowded and in parts better preserved.