Search

Dublin

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18th, 2012, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dublin

Also, what would you say would be a NOT TO MISS in Dublin ...
Old Aug 18th, 2012, 08:54 AM

Trinity College.
Old Aug 18th, 2012, 09:09 AM

Kilmainham Goal and the bus to the airport.
Old Aug 18th, 2012, 10:41 AM

Absolutely"

Book of Kells at Trinity College
Dublin Castle
Several of the museums - history, art etc
Dinner and pub hopping at Temple Bar
Definitely do a show - esp if you can find one by a local - Shaw, Wilde, etc (We say Lady Windermere's Fan and it was brilliant)
Just explore - the city is very small and you can walk most of the center in a couple of hours
Old Aug 21st, 2012, 05:26 PM

Dublin is one of my favorite places. I love Irish history and if you do also visit Glasnevin cemetery. Christ Church, Trinity library, both St Stephens Green and Merrion Square. Croke park for a game. Bars, check out The church, www.thechurch.ie Brazen head and always love going to the Gravity Bar at Guinness. Shopping and eating on Grafton St and Nassau. Check out knobs and knockers. Great store.
Old Aug 21st, 2012, 06:03 PM

Pretty much agree with nytraveler and others...Dublin is an interesting place to visit. Certainly Trinity College with Book of Kells, Temple Bar area for drinks, dining, and most of all music, a play at Abbey or Gate, Evensong at Christ Church and also Dubliana, Grafton St. and Molly Malone and St.Stephens Green, Kilmainham Gael/Jail plus painting of uprising in P.O.
And more. Plus venturing north and south of Dublin: Newgrange and Glendalough.
Bill in Boston
Old Aug 23rd, 2012, 05:19 AM

You can also get on the train and take the short tip north to Howth. Great seafood and views. I want to take in a game at Croke park and have yet to go to St Michan's church. It has limited hours but next trip I am not missing it. We loved the History Museum. Explore both sides of the Liffey.
Old Aug 23rd, 2012, 05:23 AM

If you want a good pint of Guinness in an authentic Irish pub in the city centre then can I suggest two options - O'Donoghues on Suffolk Street (NOT it's more famous namesake on Merrion Row, which I hate) and the Dame Tavern just off Dame Street.
Old Aug 23rd, 2012, 07:46 AM

<<Kilmainham Goal>>

Um, it's Gaol - British-English for "jail," and not an 8-foot by 8-yard target for soccer balls. ;-).
Old Aug 23rd, 2012, 07:50 AM

I live in Dublin.

Do the hop-on, hop-off bus tour, the guided tour of Trinity College (which includes a visit to the Book of Kells and only costs €1 extra), Kilmainham Jail, the markets in Temple Bar (Cow's Lane and Meeting House Square) on Saturdays and - depending on the play - a visit to the Abbey or the Gate theatre.

Decent pubs are Neary's, which is very conveniently located just off Grafton Street on Chatham Street, or Davy Byrne's just off Grafton Street on South Anne Street. Both are okay for lunch too.

Stay away from Temple Bar on weekend nights - it's awful.

Try to get to Newgrange - you won't regret it. Take a trip to Howth on the Dart or Glendalough on St. Kevin's bus.

If you are here in Summer, then catch a game in Croke Park.

The best pub for traditional music is the Cobblestone in Smithfield (but it's a listening pub so stay quiet!).

My favourite places to eat are around the Exchequer Street/George's Street area.

Finish your evening with a nightcap in the Library Bar, Central Hotel, Exchequer Street - cosy and chatty.