Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Please critic our itinerary....and your thoughts on Budapest (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/please-critic-our-itinerary-and-your-thoughts-on-budapest-917223/)

jaspertl Dec 31st, 2011 09:43 PM

Please critic our itinerary....and your thoughts on Budapest

We have just figured out the (loose dates) for our trip to Europe this September.

So you'll know a little about us...2 couples traveling together. Adventureous and flexible. Love car trips and have driven all over Ireland, Nova Scotia, Canada, a bit in South America and Asia.

A big part of the fun is getting in the car and traveling all day to our next destination stopping in various little towns etc. along the way. The guys trade off driving so no one gets burned out.

we are interested in the cities but look forward more to the country side and meeting the locals. We like museums but don't prefer to see every one or stay for hours on end. We like history, architecture, scenery, culture and discovering out of the way places. We will be renting a car and driving from place to place. We have a time frame from Sept 19-Oct 4.

That being said, here's what we have in mind. Please let me know your thoughts and suggestions. It will be very much appreciated.

Sept 19: Leave CA on a red eye arriving in Vienna.

20 & 21 Vienna

22 stay in Cresky Krumlov

23-25 Drive to Prague and stay 3 nights

26-28 Drive to Budapest and say 3 nights

29 Drive to Zahgreb and stay 1 night (going because my husbands relatives are from here. He wants to see if he looks like anyone ;0)

30-Oct 2 Istria (area) 3 nights

Oct 3-4 Vienna and fly home

Again this is really just a first pass at the itinerary and nothing is written in stone at this point. Is there anything that is glaringly wrong that stands out for you???

We also talked about skippping Buadpest?? What are your thoughts on that.

Again, thanks in advance for any help you can provide!
I also posted this on Trip advisor but didn't receive much reponse.

kawh Dec 31st, 2011 11:50 PM

this trip sounds great.

i would say (shout) -- do not skip budapest. we really loved this city... and would highly, highly recommend hotel victoria where the rooms have amazing floor-to-ceiling windows with views of the river, parliament, and bridge. budapest is a fun city with lots of different areas to explore-- old city history and new town hip shopping/coffee schops. we are thermal water nuts, but even if you're not usually interested, budapest has some great baths to explore. ancient little turkish baths with girls days and boys days-- and a huge and elegant public pool in the park...not to be missed for a day of fun and relaxation.

we loved chesky krumlov-- we still have a picture up in our kitchen of the town square. so charming.

prague is full of tourists-- but there's a reason. it's a great old town-- and lots to see. the museum with all the Mucha art is just great. also-- if you get a chance-- even if you're not an opera fan, the opera house (state opera) is beyond gorgeous inside.

i see that you have to go to zahgreb-- but i think it's good that you are making it quick. it wasn't our favorite city in the area...

i think it sounds like a wonderful trip.

qwovadis Jan 1st, 2012 01:27 AM

Like it have done it headed there again in April 2012 consider adding venice-tourism.com awesome if you have not been.Renting carrentals.com out of VIE europcar.com not cheap.Also look at Renault eurodrive leases usually a little cheaper. viamichelin.com for best route info. Just snagged
130000 hotel points withCredit Cards ihg.com and marriott.com will get all my hotels in big cities for free. Marriott nice in Budapest right on the Danube at great price point.Hungary
sort of dodgy but beautiful lots of financial unrest currently. travel.state.gov for a heads up insuremytrip.com always wise for me. eurocheapo.com good city budget guides.

Happy Planning!
for a heads

qwovadis Jan 1st, 2012 01:30 AM

In Prague intercontinental.com or Crowne Plaza from 60euros
or 10000 points for budget have both been nice for me.

qwovadis Jan 1st, 2012 01:34 AM

http://www.fco.gov.uk/.../travel-adv...europe/hungary

There are many scammers touts in country and on Tripadvertizer boards I NEVER wire money always
pay with CC from reputable merchants. They even
scam in restaurants in some areas so be careful.
eurcheapo.com/budapest good recos for budget
chowhound.com good food threads also.

kja Jan 1st, 2012 03:01 PM

You'll be visiting some wonderful places! You'll be moving through cities at a faster pace than I prefer, but then I really enjoy spending time in museums and it sounds like that isn't a very high priority for you. Even so, you might want to add a day to Zagreb - a single night isn't much!

I loved Budapest and wouldn't skip it if it holds any interest for you.

Have you determined that the cost of a one-way rental isn't worth the time you'll lose returning to your city of origin or can you fly out of Zagreb or somewhere else rather than backtracking to Vienna?

Enjoy!

nytraveler Jan 1st, 2012 05:02 PM

Definitely do NOT skip Budapest, it's a fascinating, very lively city and especially interesting because of it's unique history. Do have a look at the monument to Atilla and his warriors (founders of the nation. The name is still popular there, my mother had a friend originally from Hungary who named her son that - until she learned it was a name with negative connotations there.

jaspertl Jan 1st, 2012 06:28 PM

I can't thank you enough for your taking the time to respond!!!
Am talking to our travel bud's about your posts!
I'll be back!!!