Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Please comment on Paris apartment location (and the apt too, if you like)

Jun 4th, 2014, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

We are considering this apartment

http://www.rentparis.com/en/appartem...003-paris.html

but the location at Boulevard Saint Martin in the 3rd is very unfamiliar to me. I've been all over street view, and there seem to be many men's clothing businesses around there. It doesn't look charming, but then again, it does look nice enough. Arts & Metiers is the nearest landmark that I'm familiar with.

This place meets lots of our requirements, but I'd love to hear what others think of the locations.

Merci
Jun 4th, 2014, 12:50 PM

The garment district isn't far from there, at least where it used to be, I don't know current situation. There are a lot of fabric, button, etc. shops in the 2nd arr. between Sentier and Strasbourg St Denis metro stops. I thikn it's now changed to a lot of internet tech companies. But seeing men's clothing businesses on St Martin may just be a coincidence and, of course, that is a major thoroughfare.

It would be okay. No, I don't think it is charming but I don't think any main working thoroughfare on the Right Bank is charming. A lot of buses go along there, of course. There are some cheap shoe shops just a bit south of there on rue Meslay, as I recall. And of course, it is very near the Conservatoire des Arts et Metiers. It's certainly convenient for public transportation (especially since they re-did pl de la Republique, some buses were routed funny aroudn there when that was going on).

Right on bd St Martin wouldn't be my first choice of place to stay, but it would work. I could be wrong, but I don't see any photos in that listing of anything but the living room, which would make me suspicious. The description is wrong, but you can see that on a map -- it is not 100 meters from both the Republique and Strasbourg metro stops, that is impossible as there are more than 200 meters between the two. It is about 100 meters from Strasbourg, it appears, and maybe 400 from Republique.
Jun 4th, 2014, 01:00 PM

I'm pretty sure those photos were shot with a wide angle lens, making the rooms look larger.

To see all photos, click on the one that comes up initially and then use the right and left arrows to scroll through all photos.
Jun 4th, 2014, 01:19 PM

You gotta trust the person in the bedroom not to open the curtains of the window when you're in the shower!!!
Jun 4th, 2014, 01:45 PM

I did use that arrow to scroll through the photos and all I saw was the living room. One view included the kitchen which is just off to the side of the living room. This time, for some reason, I did see the other photos of the bedrooms.

They do all look fairly similar though, very brown, black and white. Well, I don't like the decor at all, but that's just personal taste. Whole place looks like some man cave. But that's just for tuscanlifeedit et al. to decide.
Jun 4th, 2014, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

Oh sigh. We need a two bedroom, with just one flight of stairs, for only four nights.

It is driving me crazy. I do understand the entire wide angle lens thing, but I don't get that the bedroom curtains look in on the shower. I don't think one can see the shower in these pictures.

Well, I am still looking. I can keep posting separate threads, but it might be rude. I'll try to get a few into one thread.
Jun 4th, 2014, 02:20 PM

The shower is glass and open to the bedroom. It looks like there are curtains on the bedroom side that can be drawn to cover the shower. Otherwise the person showering is in view of not just the bedroom but also the window to the street.

Is there just one bath? I can;t tell what type of door there is between the bath and the bedroom.

Overall looks like a tiny apt with gigantor furniture (yes, partly wide angle lens).
Jun 4th, 2014, 03:56 PM

We struggled with that for a trip this past Christmas. We rented this terrific 2-bedroom place in the 9th:
http://www.vrbo.com/290491

The agency was great and it was so well located, by 2 metro stations and around the corner from the Rue des Martyrs. Our last rental was in the 3rd near Arts et Metiers and we much preferred the 9th. Anyway, this may be booked but the agency has other apartments they manage.
Jun 4th, 2014, 04:39 PM

I like that area but I'm a super-walker and don't you have mobility problems?
Jun 4th, 2014, 05:06 PM
Original Poster

rosetravels: that apartment is booked and I can't find any agency information on the page. Thanks though.

Leely, mobility problems is almost it. I have a heart condition and lupus. I limit stairs but use the Metro and public transportation pretty freely in most cities, including Paris.

I am going to find something, I know it. I have written to a place on Rue Rambuteau, which has been a preferred neighborhood for us in the past.

If anyone feels like it, cross your fingers. I'm ready to overspend on this, purely out of frustration.

By the way, does anyone like Rue Montorguell as a place to stay? I used to think I would like to stay there and I've found a passable apartment there.
Jun 4th, 2014, 05:32 PM

Sorry to hear that, tuscan.

I like the 11th, close to the 3rd. Have you found anything that ticks all the boxes around there? I guess not or you would have mentioned it. Never stayed by Rue Montorgueil.

I'll be in Paris next month and I haven't booked accommodations. Same deal for Rome. I must be going crazy.
Jun 4th, 2014, 06:03 PM

We are heading to Paris just before Christmas and have found an apartment using -- http://www.vacationinparis.com

We can't recommend the apartment we are renting this time as it would be too small for your needs.

I like that this company has office in New Jersey and you can call and talk to them if need be.
Jun 4th, 2014, 07:22 PM

I like rue Montorgueil (and that general area) and I think it is an excellent location. Loads and loads of stores, restos, cafés, boulangeries, fromageries etc. All your shopping needs right at your doorstep. About as central a location as you can get in Paris and excellent transport options all around.
Jun 4th, 2014, 09:08 PM

tuscan - From that page if you click on manager, then 'see all my rental listings' you get to this:
http://www.vrbo.com/my/c11de902-b125...e-france/paris

But it might be easier to contact them via the VRBO form and ask what they have available in 2 bedroom apartments during your dates.

Here's a link to our 2nd choice for last Christmas, by Rue Montorgueil in the 2nd. We communicated with the owners when we were trying to decide and they seemed fine, reviews and location are good:
http://www.vrbo.com/269400?bedrooms=...-01-01#reviews
Jun 5th, 2014, 06:13 AM
Original Poster

rosetravels: thanks; I don't know why I couldn't figure that out last night. My brain is a little tired over the apartment search.

DebitNM: we are looking at some VIP apartments. Maybe a little more than we were hoping to pay, but I'm finding that two bedroom apartments are rather pricey.

FrenchMystiqueTours, I like rue Monterguell too. It might be a little dangerous for someone that likes to eat as much as I. I've always considered staying there.

The feedback here is helping tremendously. Thanks folks.
Jun 5th, 2014, 08:55 AM

Christina - I had the same problem with the pictures. I was already to post that it seemed suspicious that the bedroom was not shown, but checked again one more time, and lo and behold - there it was!

We stayed in a place in Cassis in southern France that had a separate room for the commode but you were facing a big window which looked through the shower, past the sink area and out the window! I think that's why I noticed the shower window in this apt. French trend? I was with my mom so it was easy to deal with it.