Please comment on Itinerary # 2 Berlin-Prague-Vienna-Salzburg-Munich

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. I am torn between 2 itineraries which are very different. The following is my original post about us and our interests. Our first itinerary included Budapest- Bratislava - Vienna and Prague. After researching Germany, I have modified our trip to the following details: 19 nights in late August...

Berlin 5 nights - train to Prague
Prague 4 nights - train to Vienna
Vienna 3 nights - pick up rental car
Drive/scenic stops on the way to Salzburg
Salzburg 2 nights
Drive/scenic stops on the way to Fussen
Fussen 1 night
Drive/scenic stops on the way to Munich
Drop car off in Munich
Munich 4 nights

I feel that this itinerary has a lot going on. We like to run around, but from your traveling experience of this region, is this do-able? Or should we limit ourselves and cut out a city or 2? Thanks!

========================================
Previous post from Czech board...
My husband and I will be taking our first trip to this region in late August. We are in the preliminary stages of research, and are hoping you can narrow down a few things for us. There is so much great info on this site!

ABOUT US---we are in our early 30's, and from NYC. We will be traveling for approximately 20 days. We go to Europe to experience the culture and people, with our favorite pastimes just walking around and popping into great restuarants and bars. We are not hugely focused on museums, but will take time to visit the best.

ACCOMODATIONS--We prefer staying within walking distance of dinner spots. We'd rather not spend our money in a luxury hotel, and actually prefer apartments or pensions. We want to spend no more than $110 US per night on lodging. We also wouldn't mind staying in a budget place in one city, in order to stay in a nicer place in another. We love a place with character!

PROPOSED ITINERARY: (Original Itinerary #1)
--4 nights Budapest
--2 nights in Bratislava
--4 nights Vienna
--7 nights Prague
--Fly out of Prague to NYC

QUESTIONS:
1-Accomodation suggestions? Best locations in the cities to stay in?
2-Is the itinerary well balanced?
3-Please suggest any "must do's"

Open to any and all advice! Thanks!
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

Just to clarify, I am looking for comments on Itinerary 2, which is the first listed (includes Germany).
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 01:49 PM
ira

Hi J,

Your new itinerary is not unreasonable.

Each of your driving days is under 4 hrs.

Have a nice trip.

Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 03:41 PM

You have one big problem: Picking up a car in Vienna and dropping it off in Munich incurs a big drop-off charge.

I suggest you either pick up the car in Rosenheim (about 60 miles from Salzburg, on the Vienna - Munich train main line and Munich - Salzburg autobahn) and drive back to Salzburg. Or drive from Rosenheim to Passau via Burghausen (a lovely city along the Inn River, overlooked by a great castle worth a visit, if only for the view??. Stay in Passau overnight (it is a pretty and interesting city) and then continue along the Danube as far as Krems (this takes you past Maria Laach and Duernstein). At Krems cross the Danube and take the autobahn toward Salzburg, stopping at Melkd en route, and then continue with your Itinerary #2. To accomplish this you might want to cut out one night in Berlin or Prague. The other option is that you take the train to Salzburg, take the bus to Berchtesgaden and pick up your car there, returning to Salzburg and continue from there.

The scenic way from Salzburg to Fuessen would be Salzburg - Berchtesgaden - Lofer - Woergl - Innsbruck - Garmisch - Reutte - Fuessen.

From Fuessen to Munich would be Fuessen - Steingaden - Wieskirche - Murnau - Autobahn Munich. You may want to drop off the car once you reach Munich, near the RR station. A car in Munich is a nuisance. You can take the S-Bahn from Munich to the airport on the day you leave.
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 03:49 PM
J62

You could also consider 1 or 2 nights in Dresden, which is 1/2 way between Berlin and Prague. You could shave 1 night of either or both Berlin/Prague and still have a wonderful visit in either city.

All trains Berlin to Prague will stop in Dresden anyway.

Our resident Dresden Fodorite, Ingo, has posted some wonderful suggestions about concerts, restaurants, sights and activities in and around Dresden.