Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Please comment on Andalusia Itinerary (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/please-comment-on-andalusia-itinerary-325114/)

munich_madl Mar 17th, 2008 11:03 AM

Please comment on Andalusia Itinerary

Hi,
We are planning 2 weeks in Andalusia end Aug (me, hubby and 10yr old) and I'd like some comments. Here is what I thought:
Aug 25-28
- Sevilla (2 1/2 days to sightsee)
Aug 28
- AM P/U rented car in Sevilla and drive to Arco
- PM drive to Jerez. Night in Jerez
Aug 29
- Equestrian show in Jerez
- PM Visit Medona Sidonia. Night in Jerez
Aug 30
- Cadiz. Nt in Jerez
Aug 31
- Chiclana - beach day. Night in Jerez
Sep 1-8
- Leave Jerez. Hol.apt at a beach area. Not decided yet where.(Ronda, Gibraltar, Casares, ???)
Sep 8
- Drive to Malaga stopping along the way. Nt in Malaga
Sep 9
- AM Return car. Beach day. Nt in Malaga.
Sep 10
- Malaga. Flight leaves 18:45hrs. Taxi.

Is this itinerary ok? We don't want to rush around more than necessary with a kid.

Read that Jerez is a nightmare to drive into so I am not so sure about getting a car so early but we need it for the day trips and we will have a golf bag plus 2 suitcases! The apartment I wrote to said there was parking on the road 10 min. walk to the apt! When I looked on Google, the streets looked terribly narrow and no sign of cars. So what now?

Any suggestions on which town/ village to look for a holiday apartment for the week by the beach. In a previous post, I was told the beaches on the Costa de Luz side are better than Costa del Sol side but it would be far to go to Ronda and some other villages on the western end of Costa del Sol on a day trip.

Based on other comments, I've dropped the day trip to Morocco. Also read that Gibraltar isn't so great but we may go maybe, just to say we've been there and only if there's time.

We like staying in apartments or B&Bs and prefer to avoid the touristy high rise hotels and tourist areas. Found El Riad Andalous in Malaga on the Internet. Comments anyone?

Many thanks for your valuable help!

Fran

PalenQ Mar 17th, 2008 11:27 AM

No as a town Gilbraltar is sleepy and rather blah - but the Rock itself is intriguing - the tail-less apes, the cliffs, the views, etc.

I really enjoyed Gibraltar - a totally unique place - British pubs with Spanish tapas

Ronda also is one of the most gorgeous cities in Spain

And Caecares - the old upper town is exceptional.

gailw Mar 17th, 2008 11:44 AM

If you're looking for "beach town" to stay in, I think you should look at a map for the location of the towns you mentioned, at least two of which, to my knowledge, are not near beaches.
Nerja is a probably a good place for you to stay, tons of rentals, on the water, endless restaurants; as of 2 years ago, hadn't quite achieved the degree of high rise development of some other Costa del Sol towns, was very touristy but kind of fun and has fantastic caves to tour that your 10 yr old would probably love (all of us adults did, too).
You should also be aware that Sevilla in August will probably be hotter than Hades.

munich_madl Mar 17th, 2008 12:06 PM

Just to clarify - the 'beach town' is supposed to be where we base ourselves from 1-8 Sep.

We can't really go any later to Spain cos these are the last 2 wks of our school hols in Germany so got to deal with the heat. We are going to have our siestas like the Spanish.

Fran

Florida1 Mar 17th, 2008 12:32 PM

I second PalenQ's thoughts on Gibraltar and Ronda. The rock was well worth the visit. The cave and seige tunnels were fascinating, and we, of course, enjoyed the apes! We walked all the way back down into town from the rock and it was quite a hike! Great views from the rock.
We stayed out from town at the Caleta Hotel, which we loved. Our room balcony looked out over the ocean.

The town of Ronda was beautiful and fun to just walk around, getting lost in the streets. We stayed at the Parador in Ronda and I highly recommend it. Nice staff, great room, couldn't be better located.

Have fun!

markrosy Mar 17th, 2008 12:50 PM

Have to differ on Gibralter - absolute dump and really not worth the longf wait that the Spanish border control usually impose on you to get back into Spain. If you wnat to see an English pub, Gibralter isn't the place - the monkies - go to a zoo.

Munich_madl - The rest of your intinery sends a shiver down my spine - this is the exact route and timings we took on our honeymoon 13 years ago.

I am not sure where you fear of Jerez roads came from - we have never had any problems - however do fear the coast road from Gibralter to Malaga. This is generally used as a race track for Italian supercars driven by 21 playboy types. Statistically it usually comes fairly high on the Europe's most dangerous roads list.

The Costa De La Luz has far better beaches than the Costa Del Crime. The Atlantic beach can get windy at times but the beaches at Bolonia, Tarifa, Barbate and Zahara are stunning.

I did however notice that your luggage includes a golf bag - there are courses on the Costa Del La Luz but the Cost Del Crime has some of the best courses in the world. Nerja or Mijas do make good bases for those courses although the beaches are no where near as good as on the other coast.

You could also try the coastal area SW of Jerez where the Manzanilla sherry grapes are grown. Sanlucar De Barrameda is a quaint coastal town just outside the Coto Donana national park.

I agree don't bother with Tangiers - by all accounts it isn't Marrakesh and it is a long day trip. Cadiz offers you a great insight into Africa as there are many colourful Africans living there.

PalenQ Mar 17th, 2008 04:56 PM

<as there are many colourful Africans living there>

thot Africans were Black?

markrosy Mar 17th, 2008 11:23 PM

Which just goes to show how racially unprejudice I am. The colour was clearly a reference to their clothes - hadn't even considered the colour of their skin.

NEDSIRELAND Mar 18th, 2008 02:05 AM

fran writes: "We like staying in apartments or B&Bs and prefer to avoid the touristy high rise hotels and tourist areas. Found El Riad Andalous in Malaga on the Internet. Comments anyone?"

Most 'apartments or B&B's' have no air conditioning; and it will be very hot in Andalucia. When in a City (Sevilla, Jerez, Malaga) it might be a good idea to stay at an Hotel with A/C. Otherwise it could be unbearably hot.

There's a small Passenger ferry el Puerto de Santa Maria - Cadiz. It might be an interesting diversion to take a 'boat ride,' especially for your 10 YO. Terminal in el Puerto is on the river in front of Hotel Santa Maria

munich_madl Mar 18th, 2008 05:12 AM

Thanks for all the helpful replies so far - and the couple of laughs. Going to look at everything again.

Fran

AMV Mar 18th, 2008 04:18 PM

Have to say that your 10 year old will probably remember and enjoy Gibralter more than any other destination. We were there a few years ago with 4 younguns' ranging in age from 11-17 and they all loved seeing the apes and riding the tram. There were no problems with border delays in either direction. Just a lovely fun 1/2 day outing for all.