Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Please check out this house outside Barcelona for me?!?

Old Dec 13th, 2018, 06:36 PM
Original Poster

Hola! We will be in Barcelona for my niece's wedding this summer. (Yes, peak season!! Eek!!!) A large group of us would like to rent a "beach house" together. I was looking in Sitges, but found this one right on the beach in Vilanova I la Geltru. Pictures of the place look great, but I just can't tell if the location is good. Don't know much about the town itself, plus I can't determine how close we'd be to the center of the town and whether the beach the house is on is a nice one. Any help is appreciated!!!!! Gracias!!! Barbara

Here's a link to the house:

https://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p8747554
Old Dec 14th, 2018, 07:20 AM

Have you looked at the map, large railway line to the rear. It is very clear, using the map, where the town centre is.
Old Dec 14th, 2018, 07:31 AM

Google Maps will show you the street address, probably with a satellite view. Its directions function will direct you to selected landmarks in Barcelona (or anywhere else.) It will also indicate pubs, restaurants etc in the neighbourhood.
Old Dec 14th, 2018, 07:41 AM

Colour me green with envy!

Here are the transportation options from the centre of the town on Rome2rio:

https://www.rome2rio.com/map/Vilanov...-Geltr˙/Sitges

Enjoy!
Old Dec 14th, 2018, 07:56 AM

It does show you exactly where it is on a map. It's about 2 km from what I'd call the center of town, say where the main theatre is, around there.

You can see the beach, there are people on it and it looks okay but I think there are train tracks that run behind that house and a water treatment plant . This is the beach
Sant Crist˛fol Lighthouse Beach | Turisme Vilanova

I don't think it's the greatest beach in that town, no, and that house is at the northern end of that. If you want an amazing beach, that's probably not it.

Those rome2rio directions are from Sitges, not the center of that town.

Last edited by Christina; Dec 14th, 2018 at 07:58 AM. Reason: added
Old Dec 14th, 2018, 07:56 AM

Another thought.

Some bedrooms will be fabulous with great views, and some will be small and pokey. Agree beforehand how you will allocate the rooms to avoid any tension. You may decide on a lottery, or perhaps those who get the best rooms pay more.

I recommend this, as my nephew did similar for a friend's wedding, and flew from California to France, where group of friends rented a villa. He and his wife arrived late (longest journey) and ended up in the maid's room, in the attic, in August, with no air-conditioning, and paid the same as those who got their early and bagged the best rooms with four-poster beds and fabulous views.

Agree ahead on a fair way of doing this, and avoid any tension
Old Dec 14th, 2018, 08:02 AM

I think the house looks great with great views.

This is info on the town
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vilanova_i_la_Geltr%C3%BA

That house is about 2 km from the main square, placa de la Vila shown on there.
Old Dec 14th, 2018, 09:07 AM

Looking at the map on the site and photos ( especially No 18 & 43 ), it seems to me the house is located above North-Eastern edge of the main beach of Vilanova. I have hiked a few times between Vilanova and Sitges along the coast and feel familiar with the photos I see ( of the beach and outdoor, not the house ). The hike is pleasant (in sunny winte days) and I love doing it although you need to walk often along the rail line. There are restaurants ( mainly of sea food, or course ) by the port, after the other (left) side of the beach, It can be about 20 minutes walk. And 10 - 15 minutes more to the inland town center pedestrian street ( called also Ramblas ) with restaurants, shops and a church. I remember there is a quite lively outdoor market ( weekend one maybe ) just off that main street. To the train station, I would say altogether a walk of 30 minutes. It is a bit of distance, if you have to walk it every day. But the inside the house looks very nice. I must have walked right by it (before renovation) every time I did Vilanova - Sitges hike.

Last edited by kappa1; Dec 14th, 2018 at 09:12 AM.
Old Dec 15th, 2018, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone for such great insight!

Do do you think being near the train station is a good or bad thing? I was thinking it’s a drawback ... same with the water treatment plant. But helpful to know name of the beach ... we’ll have a few kids with us, so even if it’s not the best beach in town, it would keep them entertained.

Now just need to decide if it’s worth it to be on the beach in Vilanova versus in town in Sitges. Thanks!
Old Dec 16th, 2018, 12:42 AM

near station good, near railway line bad
Old Dec 16th, 2018, 01:29 AM

>Do do you think being near the train station is a good or bad thing?
That house is not near the train station.

> so even if it’s not the best beach in town, it would keep them entertained.
Are you ( and Christina) talking about Sitges or Vilanova? The beach below the house is THE main beach of Vilanova as I said.

Personally I like staying in Sitges. I have had many New Year there, not to celebrate it but because it is quiet, warm and pleasant in that period of the year and know great hotel. Will be there again from 29th dec, soon. I don't know if I want to be there in summer. I am not summer beach holiday maker at all (don't like heat much, so I have stopped travelling, even to Barcelona in summer. But Sitges has a lot of possibility, for dining, etc for such a small town. Vilanova is much more residential, much less tourist oriented, few hotels, some holiday apartments, maybe a little more industrial with a relatively big port with big ships that Sitges has no place for. Sitges is prettier. Each has its own advantages.

If you wish more helpful answers, I do recommend you post your question on Sitges and Barcelona forum on TA. The posters there should know more than us here. I have been there as I wrote already but only for a short visit and hike each time. The others have never been to as I understand. Sitges forum or Barcelona forum, I don't remember but there was a regular UK poster there who actually stayed there on holiday. Also some Barcelona local should be able to advise you I think.

Last edited by kappa1; Dec 16th, 2018 at 01:31 AM.
Old Dec 16th, 2018, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

Great, very helpful. I will post on TA forum as well. I really want to be in a pretty town, which is what I’ve heard Sitges is, so am leaning towards that, even though the villa isn’t quite as nice. Thanks again!