Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Please Call or Email Your Representatives in Congress to Support the Senate in Making Airport Security a Federal Concern

Search

Please Call or Email Your Representatives in Congress to Support the Senate in Making Airport Security a Federal Concern

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 06:03 AM
Anna

Arthur Frommer talks about airport security at his website today. Take a look at his article and call or email your representative today. <BR>http://www.frommers.com/newsletters/.../article1.html

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 06:33 AM
xxx

Nice to see that Frommers is getting into the groove as well. <BR>Fodors is not. <BR> <BR> <BR>I made a post about the very same thing here not long ago. I put in on both the european and US boards. <BR>Fodors deleted it immediately. <BR> <BR>I will be amazed if the same does not happen to this one. <BR>

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 08:29 AM
Federalization of employees is not

to this problem nor many others. <BR> <BR>Next the airlines themselves, then office supply stores (since their employees sell envelopes, used to mail stuff), doctors, nurses, pharmacists. <BR> <BR>Local fire and police. <BR> <BR>Locksmiths, farmers, factory workers. <BR> <BR>Don't all of these play a role in public safety? <BR>

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 08:54 AM
xxx

To Federalization: <BR> <BR>Please don't be so dumb. <BR> <BR>Thanks.

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 08:55 AM
XXX

I agree with above. Feds is not the answer. Living in NYC and taking triboro bridge daily I see about 10 cops(troopers local and some Fed), all hanging out - with one taking a turn directing traffic from time to time, and stopping very few (usually Rental trucks), trucks and cars. Yesterday I was dropping off someone at terminal 1 JFK, guy collecting luggage carts told me to watch my stuff, found out that few minutes early 2 guys stole some luggage from some passangers unloading in Parking lot. I did notice some soldiers at the gates, and some cops next to them, but that's about it. After dropping off my passangers I took a spin by other terminals - seeing additional cops - but many just chatting to each other. Fed is definitly not the answer - answer is the quality of the security. <BR>Many other countries use private agencies which are regulated by feds and spot checked for problems - once problems with security agency is found then it's replaced by another - and we all know that once you have a government job you are almost untouchable.

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 10:52 AM
Concerned

The reason the federal government has to get involved in any area, not just air line security, is because the private sector is unwilling to do the job correctly. If the private sector would do what is right and not either skimp for the profits or because it can get away with it, the federal government would not have the opportunity to intervene.

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 10:58 AM
Capo

Federalization, local fire and police departments may not be federalized, but they're certainly not privatized either.

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 12:51 PM
Barb

All of our national security is already federalized - FBI, DEA, CIA, NSA, Customs & Immigration, Border Patrol, etc. Why should airport security be any different? Other countries may be able to have excellent private security, but this is the only country where 50 different states would all want to control airport security in their state, with 50 different standards.