Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Please, any suggestion of walkeable and historic city! (not Florence or Venice) (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/please-any-suggestion-of-walkeable-and-historic-city-not-florence-or-venice-1708078/)

ricardocd9567 Jun 3rd, 2022 08:37 AM

Please, any suggestion of walkeable and historic city! (not Florence or Venice)

Hi!

I'm from Brazil, and I intend to take a trip next year, but I still don't know where to go.

I would like some tips on places to visit, with the following characteristics:

- Very walkeable with many pedestrian-only streets (like Venice and Florence, but not those)
- Not too small (for 3 to 5 days at least)
- Good food
- Historic buildings (over 500 years old)
- Museums are not a priority (I prefer to walk around the city)

Any suggestion?

Thanks!

janisj Jun 3rd, 2022 08:53 AM

Welcome to Fofdors. There are countless options: Edinburgh, Paris, Munich, Madrid, Amsterdam, and on and on -- you must have some idea which country(s) you'd like to visit.

Time of year could make quite a difference . . .

BritishCaicos Jun 3rd, 2022 08:55 AM

Bordeaux
Palermo

Neither are mobbed by world tourists both are at the crest of the visitability wave -

Palermo is recovering from years of mafia control to become a fresh vibrant city with a good food scene which mixes African and European cuisine.

Bordeaux was suffering economically 20 years ago but has enjoyed three huge boosts - the new tram system , the new TGV fast train link to Paris and the rocketing price of wine has flooded the city with investment. It now has one of the best food and wine scenes in the world.

Neither have many buildings over 500 years old, mainly 250 years old but that shouldn’t discourage you.

Both are very manageable and both have retained their local culture - when you visit you will know which country you are in.

geetika Jun 3rd, 2022 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by BritishCaicos (Post 17368747)
Bordeaux
Palermo

Neither are mobbed by world tourists both are at the crest of the visitability wave -

Palermo is recovering from years of mafia control to become a fresh vibrant city with a good food scene which mixes African and European cuisine.

Another vote for Palermo and Sicily. We spent 5 days in Palermo around Easter and were bowled over by the city and people. Very walkable, loads of stuff to see and do, excellent food at very reasonable prices. You could use Palermo as a base for day trips, several historic sites and cities nearby. Or visit other parts of Sicily too, it’s quite under the tourist radar IMO. At least not like some of the other big European cities.

BritishCaicos Jun 3rd, 2022 09:07 AM

Geetika

It feels really fresh - as if people have lived under a cloud for years and now seem genuinely pleased to be living a different life - innocently welcoming visitors.

So ironic , as our trip before Palermo was Iceland - where the locals frequently gave us the impression that they didn’t need, want or require or tourists money. I had the impression that visitors were a total inconvenience to there lives.

KTtravel Jun 3rd, 2022 10:23 AM

Geetika? Where is that located?

We really enjoyed Palermo. Bologna would be another good possibility. Have you been to Paris?

ricardocd9567 Jun 3rd, 2022 10:46 AM

Yes, I've been to Bologna, I found the city beautiful and walkable, but 5 days there is a long time...

I haven't been to Paris, but I would like a city with older buildings, like Florence and Venice for example.

progol Jun 3rd, 2022 10:55 AM

Are you looking for any European city? Or just Italy? Could you narrow down your interests and what else you might be doing? Are you just going to this city or anywhere else?

One of my favorite small cities is Seville in the Andalucian region of Spain. It’s a perfect-sized city, with a lot to do, great food, and easy access to day trips, if interested. Highly recommend it.

ricardocd9567 Jun 3rd, 2022 10:58 AM

I liked the idea of ​​Seville!

I'm looking at any city in Europe with the characteristics I mentioned, it doesn't have to be in Italy.

Some of the options I have in mind are Barcelona, ​​Prague and Bruges, but I would like to hear other options.

ricardocd9567 Jun 3rd, 2022 10:59 AM

I'm looking for any city in Europe with the characteristics I mentioned, it doesn't have to be in Italy.

Some of the options I have in mind are Barcelona, ​​Prague and Bruges, but I would like to hear other options.

janisj Jun 3rd, 2022 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by ricardocd9567 (Post 17368791)
Yes, I've been to Bologna, I found the city beautiful and walkable, but 5 days there is a long time...

I haven't been to Paris, but I would like a city with older buildings, like Florence and Venice for example.

Paris: Louvre - 12th/13th centuries, converted to a palace in the 1500's. Sainte-Chapelle - 12th/13th centuries. Conciergerie - 10th/14th centuries.

Edinburgh: Castle - 11th century, St Margaret's Chapel - 1100's, John Knox House - 1490.

There are buildings as old as those in Venice in a lot for European cities

ricardocd9567 Jun 3rd, 2022 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by ricardocd9567 (Post 17368795)

I'm looking at any city in Europe with the characteristics I mentioned, it doesn't have to be in Italy.

Originally Posted by janisj (Post 17368799)
Paris: Louvre - 12th/13th centuries, converted to a palace in the 1500's. Sainte-Chapelle - 12th/13th centuries. Conciergerie - 10th/14th centuries.

Edinburgh: Castle - 11th century, St Margaret's Chapel - 1100's, John Knox House - 1490.

There are buildings as old as those in Venice in a lot for European cities

yes, I understand when you mean that most cities have old buildings, even here in Brazil we find some buildings that are 500 years old, but Florence and Venice are cities where practically the entire central urban area is very old, and this is very peculiar .

Leely2 Jun 3rd, 2022 05:57 PM

Why is Rome not on your list? It's the Eternal City.

In any case, some good suggestions above. I'll throw Krakow in the mix.

And a bit off-topic: I absolutely loved Palermo but I don't remember many pedestrian-only streets. My visit was about 10 years ago, maybe things have changed?

Sassafrass Jun 3rd, 2022 07:26 PM

Don’t know if it quite qualifies for you, but consider Istanbul for five days. Amazing and wonderful and fabulous food.
Naples, Italy might also interest you. Visit the underground excavations, and of course, Herculaneum (more intact buildings than Pompeii) and Pompeii.
Madrid, with the idea that you visit Toledo and perhaps Seville.