Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

please advise - rome, amalfi coast, sicily - too much?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2008, 12:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there -

I'm in the initial planning stages of a family trip to Italy...2 50-something parents who have never been outside the country, my husband, myself and two brothers, all in our 20s. My husband and I have been to Italy but not to any of the areas we're planning to see. Wondering if we're trying to do too much...

Our tentative plan is to start in Rome for 3 nights, head to the Amalfi Coast for 3 nights, and then go to Sicily for a week. After reviewing past posts, I'm wondering if one week is enough for Sicily. My brothers are really wanting to see Rome and my mom's grandparents are from Sicily (a town called Brolo on the northern coast east of Cefalu) - so I'd rather not eliminate either... should we skip the Amalfi Coast?

Also, my mom would really like to have a "home base" in Sicily (My parents would prefer to keep the packing up and moving to a new hotel to a minimum)...but again, reading past posts, it would seem that'd we'd miss out on alot in Sicily if we stayed in one place for a week. My mind is swimming with all the different places we could call home in Sicily as well - some like Taormina, some say it's too touristy, some love Ortigia, some say a week there is too long...ahh!

Again, we're in the very initial stages of planning (for a June '09 trip) and I'm just looking for some general direction. I really want my parents to consider international travel again (they are homebodies - I never thought this trip would happen!) and want to make things go as smoothly as possible! Thank you, thank you in advance!
Old Apr 6th, 2008, 01:01 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi nkluede,

yes, there's the rub. do you try and fit it all in, or go for teh "less is more" route?

if only we had the answer, fodors would be redundant.

my advice, for what it's worth, is to take it slowly, especially with your large and disparate group, and scrub the amalfi coast for now. after all if this is a success, you might come back!

in any event, I think I'd try to do your trip in reverse - at least a week on Sicily, followed by at least 5 days in Rome- you should be able to find open jaw flights, and flights in between too. that will give you all time to acclimatise before you hit Rome. and do look at renting an apartment there - then you can all do your own thing in the day [if you want to ] and gather together in the evening.

also if you miss out the amalfi, you might talk your mum into staying in two places on sicily - for which one week is nothing like enough, IMO.

good luck,

regards, ann
Old Apr 6th, 2008, 01:05 PM

I do not think 3 days is really enough for Rome. There is just so much to see and do. And as for Sicily, you won't be able to see it all in a week, but you should still go. it will be beautiful in June. We just spent a week there and resigned ourselves to the fact that we wouldn't be able to see the entire island (or anything close to the entire island), especially because we also wanted a home base. Luckily it was our second trip trip to Sicily, so we didn't feel too conflicted about it.

What about 4 or 5 days in Rome and 8 or 9 days in Sicily?

As for Taormina and Ortygia, I think they are both very much worth a visit. Touristic for sure, but very beautiful.
Old Apr 6th, 2008, 01:07 PM

Oh - Ann makes a good point. I agree about doing Sicily first and then Rome.
Old Apr 7th, 2008, 06:14 AM
ira

Hi nk,

For this trip, I also suggest a week in Sicily and a week in Rome.

Old Apr 9th, 2008, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

thanks to all for the advice...so the amalfi coast is really worth skipping?
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 07:24 PM

I don't think anyone is suggesting that the Amalfi Coast is "worth skipping" -- I think that most people think you're trying to do too much in the time planned. It sounds like Rome and Sicily are the two priorities (based on your brothers and parents), and 3 days is a very short time in Rome (especially if your arrival day is one of them). It would also take a good bit of your day to travel from Rome to the Amalfi Coast, and the remaining time isn't really enough to give the Amalfi Coast justice either.
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 12:56 AM

We had only 3 days in Rome and just under a week in Sicily in 2003 - as part of a much longer trip, mainly in Italy.

I loved Sicily but my abiding memory is spending a LOT of time in the car - we were staying with family friends in Giardini Naxos (down the hill from Taormina) and drove - a lot. I would go again but stay longer and stay in several different places. Or be very selective if you have limited time.

I would not suggest Taormina if you stick with a limited time although it is of course beautiful, but it is touristy, relatively small and you will need to drive some distances to see many other places.

As for the 3 days in Rome - no it is not long enough by any means and we generally like to stay a week anywhere but it was long enough to get a real taste of Rome and see all the major sites - Rome is a very accessible city.