Search

Please, advice on travel in Muerren

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2006, 03:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please, advice on travel in Muerren

Hey folks,

I need your advice, please. I learned on this forum, that the Muerren funnicular was closed until December - thanks guys. It was suggested to me that Wengen might be a better spot for us (2 adults and 2 kids)to minimize the disruption (I wish I could find the thread!!!) When I emailed the hotel in Muerren, this was their response:

"If you come by train there is a bus that meets every train into Lauterbrunnen and takes you to the Schilthornbahn cable car station (10 min ride) you than catch the cable car up to Murren (also 10mins) you are actually a bit closer to the Chalet it is about a 3 min walk from here. Everything is very well connected. If you are driving you just drive through Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg where the cable car is it takes about 10mins and there is a large car park there which costs 5sfr per night.

They are doing a special pass which is 125sfr which takes you from Lauterbrunnen to Murren and also up to the Schilthorn as many times as you like over 6 days, there is also a pass called the Sonnenkarte which is 58sfr which takes you from Lauterbrunnen to Murren when every you like and is valid for a month."

Being a first time traveller to Switzerland, I cannot quite figure out if staying in Muerren would be too difficult getting around - given the hoteliers' response.

So, I'm going to the experts!!! Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Old May 31st, 2006, 03:56 AM

I don't doubt that the hotel is telling you the truth about the transit times, but that assumes there's room on the tram and bus when you want to go somewhere. I recall not being able to get onto a bus at Stechelberg some years ago and then waiting a long time for the next one, but (it being Switzerland after all) I would expect they'll have more buses running as long as the Stechelberg tram is the only way in and out of Murren. It's a tough call, but I think if you're primarily planning to stay and explore the Murren area it won't be much of a problem, otherwise Wengen is a better base generally.

P.S. Before you go, rent the James Bond movie "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" - filmed largely in Murren and Lauterbrunnen, with the revolving restaurant at the Schilthorn serving as bad-guy Telly Savalas's hideout. Also, much of Clint Eastwood's "Eiger Sanction" was filmed at Kleine Scheidegg and environs.
Old May 31st, 2006, 05:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Fly,

I'll certainly rent those movies.....we do intend to tour the surrounding areas, aside from Muerren, so that's why I was considering changing to Wengen...

Old May 31st, 2006, 05:34 AM

Hi Skiobox---getting to Mürren from Lauterbrunnen has always been a 2-stage journey. The funicular took travelers up to Grutschalp, where they changed for the train to Mürren. The postbus-Stechelberg route has always been a viable alternative---we chose that way to depart last time we stayed in Mürren, because the views from the cable car are spectacular. The postbus times connect with the Shchilthornbahn, so there is very little wait time between.

What is different this year is that with the Stechelberg route being the ONLY way up to Mürren (unless you hike up), everyone anticipates that it will be much more crowded. They may well run additional postbusses, but it may be that the cablecar is full, and one must wait for the next one---I believe they run every 30 minutes. It probably depends on the time of day whether it is full.

From Wengen, you will have to catch either a train or the cablecar up to Mannlichen to leave there and tour the area. It's possible those could be crowded too. Wengen is more centrally located, on a ridge between the Lauterbrunnen valley and the valley where Grindelwald is situated.

The opportunity to ride up the Schilthorn lift as many times as you like for 6 days is a pretty good one---but if they are selling lots of those, the ride to the top may be crowded too! At this point, the funicular has only been out of service for a month, not in high tourist season, so no one really knows how well it is all going to work. Personally, I don't think it's going to make much of a difference. But you might like to take a look at a detailed map and see how the two villages are situated before you decide to change.
Old May 31st, 2006, 06:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks enzian, great info. We will be in Murren/Wengen the beginning of August, which should be pretty crowded. I'll definitely look at the maps. The good thing is there seems to be plenty of availability in hotels, although I'll have to make a decision soon.

Old May 31st, 2006, 07:06 AM

Hi skiobx,

As enzian notes, the crowds are (to me) the biggest concern, and that's especially so in August.

However, you have to acknowledge that the Swiss are masters at engineering the details, so if there's a way to make the trip to Muerren seamless & easy, they'll find it.

I guess it's really going to be a crap-shoot. I don't think you'd go wrong by staying in Wengen though!

s
Old May 31st, 2006, 08:04 AM

I wish I knew what to tell you about the crowds using the Luftseilbahn, or the Schilthornbahn. I have visited Lauterbrunnen many times, and I agree with the others that the impact of taking the old cable car, an elevator on wheels, out of service is of yet unknown.

The Luftseilbahn that ascends from the valley station near Stechelberg to Gimmelwald is a relatively large cabin that can hold about 80 people.

At Gimmelwald, a descending car meets the ascending car, and passengers walk a few feet to change cars.

The trip is fairly quick, and I think that the capacity in terms of trips per hour is just about met every hour of the day when the lift is in operation.

My guess is that if you want to ride up late in the afternoon, you should have no trouble. Conversely if you want to get down, an early morning ride down should be relatively easy.

Based on my experience, the largest crowds, when we were packed tightly in the cabin, were mid morning and on the descent from the Schilthorn about mid afternoon.

The trains to Wengen from Lauterbrunnen are frequent and I think you would have relatively no difficulty in commuting between the valley floor and Wengen and Kleine Scheidegg, which is the next major stop up the line to the Jungfraujoch.

I may be into a matter of personal perference here, but the views from Mürren are terrific. There are several nice walks that can be made from Mürren to view the high range of the Berner Oberland as well as some trails that take you deep into the inner recesses of the glacial valleys.

I wish I could give you a definite answer, but as of yet the problem has not materialized in order for one to predict the wait time.

My expectation is that on a nice Saturday or Sunday, you can expect the peak crowds. BUT that is going to happen all over the region on every means of travel.
Old May 31st, 2006, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Swan and Bob....

It seems as though it comes down to a preference between Wengen and Murren. I had originally selected Murren based on a recommendation from a local friend, so I was not really wedded to that area. The transportation issue may/may not be an impediment if we travel early and late day with the kids. Although, some comments indicate that Wengen is more centrally accessible to other areas. Sometimes it stinks to be the vacation planner in the family. My husband says not to worry that we'll have fun no matter where we stay. I guess the truly important thing is to relax, have a few beers and go with the flow. Sounds kind of 1960's doesn't it. I don't really know how people travelled successfully before the internet and boards like this one. Thanks for everything.
Old May 31st, 2006, 09:07 AM

Your husband it right! You will have a wonderful time whichever you choose.

For what it's worth, we stay in Mürren---I love the views from there.

How old are your boys? Do they have any interest in chess? There is a fun outdoor chessboard in Mürren, with 2' high pieces. My nephew was the reigning champion for a few days. Also, if they are old enough, you can rent mountain bikes and ride down to Lauterbrunnen on the trails, and then ride up the Lauterbrunnen Valley along the river to Stechelberg, and take the bikes back up on the cablecar.
Old May 31st, 2006, 09:42 AM

If staying in Murren you could also consider the Swiss Railpass as it covers not only transport from any place in Switzerland to Lauterbrunnen it also covers in full the bus to Stechelberg, the cableway to Murren via Gimmelwald and the train from Murren to Grutschalp (sp?) - to where the defunct funicular was (it's still a great train ride - one of the most fantastically scenic in Europe so take it there and back (or walk one way on a fairly flat trail) - so if you are commuting from Murren to Lautebrunnen, Interlaken, etc. consider the Swiss Pass- either a consecutive day pass or the flexipass where for the whole one-month period of the pass you get 50% off everything the pass doesn't cover, such as the cable to Schilthorn. If your kids are under 16 then they each get a free SwissPass to correspond to what the two adults buy. Swiss Pass prices are currently significantly lower in the U.S., due to decline of the dollar, and only by buying there do you get free Family Pass for your kids (SF20 if bought in Switzerland) - a three day flexipass would cost $150 p.p. for the adults and free for the kids - and would be useful if landing in Zurich or Geneva as it would cover in full the journey to the Berner Oberland - use three days for free travel and then pay 50% off the other days. The third day would allow you to do a longer day trip - such as boat rides on Lake Thun or Lake Brienz in Interlaken or the very very scenic Brunig Pass train ride to Lucerne (just two hours from Interlaken - Lucern of course is one of Europe's prettiest cities. So consider the Swiss Pass to see if it isn't good for your plans. (I always recommend BETS 800-441-2387; www.budgeteuropetravel.com) for their Swiss rail expertise - www.ricksteves.com also has good info on Swiss Passes as well as other Swiss travel options. On the three free days on the Swiss Flexipass you also can enter any of 400 Swiss Museums free - such as the famous Ballenberg Open-Air Museum on Lake Brienz or Bern's highly acclaimed new Paul Klee Museum (Bern is also an easy day trip by rail - wonderful city and a good alternative for those rainy days in the Alps that are to be expected and during which the Alps can become rather boring - keep options to day trip on those days to lucerne or bern, etc.
Old May 31st, 2006, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

Hey Folks,

Our boys are 11 and 13 so we are definitely going to get the Swiss Pass and Family Card - it's such a good deal. Thanks also for chess tip. The kids are more backgammon players but we'll have time over the next few weeks to brush up on the chessboard. I really appreciate all your suggestions.
Old May 31st, 2006, 10:31 AM

We stayed in Lauterbrunnen at the Hotel Staubach. Great place. Lauterbrunnen is a quite town with easy access to the gondolas & trains that will take you to Wengen, Schilthorn, Gimmelwald, Grindelwald, Interlochen, etc.

We stayed in Lauterbrunnen 5 nights & found it quite easy to get around: from Bern to Montreaux, the Jungfraujoch, Bern, and so on...

I highly recommend Hotel Staubbach:
http://www.staubbach.ch/english/index.html

Old May 31st, 2006, 10:33 AM

A quick note on Hotel Staubbach, it is a budget type of hotel. Very clean accomodations, you can get a room ensuite or with a bathroom down the hall. The room comes with breakfast which is substantial & tasty.

This is not a "swank" resort hotel. But we loved having cows outside our window & a nice view of the falls...
Old May 31st, 2006, 10:51 AM

skiobx, budman, who frequents this board often, I believe has just returned or will be returning shortly from his trip to the Berner Oberland. I'm hoping he posts a trip report and let's us know about the crowds now that the cable car is out of commission. I will be visiting in August so I'm curious as well. Have a great trip!
Old May 31st, 2006, 12:38 PM

We were just in Lauterbrunnen a couple of weeks ago. We had a car so we drove to Stechelberg and took the cable cars from there to Schilthorn. On the return back to Stechelberg, we got off in Murren and walked around for an hour or two. There are also buses that go from Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg. We left Stechelberg around 10 AM and the cable cars were full but not "jammed".

We stayed at the Hotel Oberland for 130 CHF which was fine. Right in the center of town on the main street with a great restaurant. One thing I noticed about Lauterbrunnen is there are not many restaurants/cafes but it is so beautiful there, who cares!
Old May 31st, 2006, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the tips....I'll keep my eye out for budman's report!!!!

katzen, where are you staying when you go in August??
Old May 31st, 2006, 01:39 PM

Well, it looks like we need to have a Murren GTG in August!

I have visited the BO area many years, and for many times have visited the Schilthorn, daytripping from Grindelwald. Whenever I stop at one of the lovely terrace restaurants for a sip before the journey uphill, I've always said to myself that someday I want to stay there. The views are absolutely the best! IMO, I am not bothered by the funicular being out. The tram ride is great. If it's busy, I'll just wait for the next one. After all, I'm in Switzerland and I know what's waiting for me once I get up there!

So this August we've added a few days to the end of our trip just for Murren, and will enjoy exploring that region more thoroughly.

I'll be there August 19-21.
Old May 31st, 2006, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

Well Kopp -- you'll have to have the BOGT without us...we'll be there the 02 - 06 of Aug. Where are you guys staying??
Old May 31st, 2006, 01:50 PM

skiobx - Hotel Edelweiss - have eaten there many times but never stayed. Will have a mountain view roomm, of course!! Spectacular views, breathtakingly beautiful.

Old May 31st, 2006, 04:00 PM

skiobx, we are staying at the Hotel Gletschergarten in Grindelwald. Their site is www.hotel-gletschergarten.ch.