Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Plaza Navona vrs. Spanish Steps Area for Hotel in Rome?

Old Mar 25th, 1999, 02:17 PM
Paul

I am going to Italy in October and am undecided whether to stay in the centrally located area near Piazza Navona (specifically the Crowne Plaza Minerva) or to stay near the Spanish Steps at De La Ville Intercontinental. Anyone have advice?

Old Mar 25th, 1999, 03:11 PM
Lori

Paul, both areas are wonderful areas to stay in. I am partial to Plaza Navona as it is a little of the beaten path, and I found the Spanish Steps to be extremely crowded and noisy, particularly at night. I guess it depends on what you are looking for. Both hotels are very nice I'm sure, but also American. Why not try an Italian hotel to get some of the charm and culture. Try

Old Mar 25th, 1999, 03:48 PM
richard j. vicek

Good evening , Paul <BR>Have stayed at the De La Ville twice in <BR>the last three years, have found it an <BR>extremely good hotel, however the Via <BR>Sistina is quite noisy, but otherwise <BR>in a very good location, also get a back <BR>room facing the court, no noise.. <BR>Richard of Hickory Hills, Il...

Old Mar 26th, 1999, 07:55 AM
Linda

I am interested in the end of Lori's response. It got cut off right before mentioning the Italian hotels. I currently have a reservation at the Intercontinental for my honeymoon in August, but willing to listen to other recommendations.

Old Mar 26th, 1999, 03:24 PM
Lori

Oops, my message was unfinished. We stayed at the Hotel Quirinale on the Via Nazionale. Although a large hotel, it was Italian, and had huge rooms for a European hotel. The staff all spoke English, and the concierge was a great guy. Gave us wonderful suggestions for dinner, one particular restaurant that we would never had found if not for him. It was called L'Angoletto, Piazza Rondanini,51 (near the Pantheon). Also, the rooms ran about $190 a night, make sure you ask for a room in the back courtyard.

Old Mar 26th, 1999, 09:40 PM
Denise

The Hotel Regno in the Kingdom of Italy Library on Via del Corso is very very central and within walking distance to most sights. Very helpful staff, wonderful breakfast and good sized rooms. Everyone we met there, mentioned it was better than any other hotel they had stayed in, in Rome, including ourselves. Denise <BR>

Old Mar 27th, 1999, 06:03 AM
Ed

Both areas good choices and both hotels good. <BR> <BR>Crowne Plaza arguably a better hotel, and slightly a better location near sights and restaurants. Also a bit less noisy. <BR> <BR>Ed <BR>Rome Hotels: http://twenj.com/romehotel.htm

Old Mar 28th, 1999, 06:36 AM
Monica

Hi Paul, <BR> <BR>My husband and I stayed around the corner from Campo di Fiori where it was just a 5 minute walk to Piazza Navona and many other beautiful places. I found the area around the Spanish Steps to be crowded and noisy. From our hotel, we walked EVERYWHERE, including Trastevere.

Old Mar 28th, 1999, 04:30 PM
Michèle

Navona area over Spanish Steps area for same reasons mentioned above.<P> If you are planning to stay there for a week, rent an apt. We lived for 6 days in a wonderful apt. near the Pantheon in the last week of June 1998. We made the decision after realizing that it would be cheaper for the 4 of us than to stay in a hotel. Grant it, it was during the high season...

Old Apr 5th, 1999, 06:45 PM
Leslie

Would stay near Piazza Navona. We just returned from Rome and stayed at the Hotel Raphael which was situated on a small side street just off Navona. It was a small, charming, ivy covered hotel. I looked at the Crowne Plaza Minerva when I was there, and felt the Raphael had more "character". However I wouldn't recommend paying extra for their breakfast - it wasn't worth it. Try to get them to include it with your room. <BR>

Old Apr 9th, 1999, 08:46 AM
Patty

We went to Rome two years ago. We visited P.Navona, and yes the location is great, and the evenings with the artists was wonderful, however...We chose to stay at the Hassler Hotel at the top of the Spanish Steps. The room was $$$, but the view was very well worth it---it took our breath away. Enjoy!