Need Help With Basque Route etc

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2012, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After some false starts we have bought our tix for in and out Madrid Oct.22-Nov. 22.

We know where we want to go but can't quite figure out the best route. The only given so far is a rental in St.Etienne de Baginorry for one week. From there we will explore the French Basque and Pyreness area. This is rented for Nov. 3-9.

We then want to drop down into Spanish Basque, either renting a place or hotel. We are looking at Udax area but really would like some suggestions for this part of the trip. We are giving it 7 nights.

We want to also give the Basque coast from Bilbao to San Sebastian 7 nights. 4 nights in San Sebastian, 1 night in Bilbao and 3 nights inbetween.

Because we missed these in our previous Spain trip, we would like to have 2 nights in Segovia, 2 nights in Salamanca, 1 night in Toledo and our last 3 nights in Madrid.

We anticipate renting a car but would like to take the train when possible. We are aware that this time of year is not perfect weatherwise for the areas we want to visit but this is what we have and we deal pretty well with rain (Seattle).

Does anyone have a solution to this logistical puzzle?

I am posting this in the France forum in the hopes I may get some French Basque advice.

Thanks.
Old Feb 25th, 2012, 12:15 AM

You may want to take a look at my blog as a local, www.blogseitb.us/basquetourism, it may be helpful
Old Feb 25th, 2012, 12:23 PM

Udax? Are you referring to the village of Urdax/Urdazubi in Navarra near Zugarramundi and the witch’s cave? It's not exactly the place I would pick as a base for touring the area.

Saint Etienne de Baïgorry (spelling) is another interesting selection. It's close to Pied-de-Port, and beautiful country, but it will be difficult getting from there to anywhere in País Vasco or Pays Basque without a car.

Are you sure you don't need the help of a professional trip planner? It might help considering all you want to accomplish in 30 days.
Old Feb 25th, 2012, 02:27 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We found the following website very helpful when we planned our trip to both the French and Spanish Basque regions..www.maribel.com Maribel spends a lot of time there.
Old Feb 25th, 2012, 02:30 PM

That should be www.maribelsguides.com
Old Feb 27th, 2012, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies.
Mikelg and Happy Trvlr - I have been looking at both of these sites with an impressive amount of information.

Robert2533, you have made me rethink the trip.

As usual I bite off more than we can chew in the beginning stages and then refine to a more manabeable and sensible trip.

The two routes that now make more sense: Oct. 23 to Oct. 30 Paris. This is a done deal, paid for.

Budget air Paris to Biarritz, one night Biarritz, 3 nights San Sabastian, 1 night Bilbao, 9 days to explore Basque area to Santandar, 1 night Burgo, 2 nights Salamanca, 2 nights Toledo and 3 nights Madrid before flying home.

or

Substituting a one week stay in Trujillo for the Basque area, spending 2-3 nights Bilbao to Santandar. We have discovered a good lodging for a week and could make a trip into Portugal, Caceres, etc.

Am wondering if we would have better chance of good weather in Trujillo than Basque coast?

Any thoughts appreciated.
Old Feb 27th, 2012, 01:43 PM

If done early enough, a PREM ticket for the TGV might be a better idea than taking the plane to Biarritz.

My understanding is that Bayonne is more interesting than Biarritz, but perhaps staying inland might be even better. You might want to take a look at my trip report on Bordeaux, Aquitaine (Basque area) etc. from last year. I would take from the 9 days in the Spanish Basque country and assign them to the French Basque country.

The picture to Orthez are from the Pays Basque:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mksfca/...ith/5975675405
Old Feb 27th, 2012, 02:31 PM

The weather in late October along the Basque coast should be halfway decent, but you can expect it to rain (it also rains quite often in June and July).

Trujillo, which is just east of Casceres, will be cooler and drier in late October-early November than what you'd typically experience along the Basque coast, but then there is always a change of a little rain.
Old Feb 27th, 2012, 04:42 PM

Robert- I disagreeI was in Spain last October/November. San Sebastian for 3 days and it rained,no, poured every day-miserable! My raincoat got soaked through,umbrella was of no use! Never again-my Spanish friends had tried to warn me.All in all ,really miserable.My visits to Santiago and Madrid were no better.
I suggest the area of Caceres and Trujillo- sounds much beter-it's usually way too hot to tour in the summer.
Old Feb 27th, 2012, 05:10 PM

My thoughts are that people who recommend professional trip planners on this board usually have a relationship with a for-profit trip planning guide that they aren't revealing.

I also found Pied-de-Port so touristy (and full of tour buses) that I drove through town without stopping.
Old Feb 27th, 2012, 05:23 PM

The weather in San Sebastian-Donostia is very similar to the Pacific Northwest, so you might not want to visit Seattle or Vancouver, B.C. in the late fall. But normally, sans Global Warming, the weather has always been rather moderate in the fall.

"I also found Pied-de-Port so touristy (and full of tour buses) that I drove through town without stopping" Your loss, but what did you do when you visited Paris and Rome?
Old Feb 29th, 2012, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

Posted in wrong forum.

Thank you for your feedback. Have decided to save French and Spanish Basque for a trip at a better time of year and consider Extremadura the frontrunner.

Looking at http://www.walkingextremadura.com/wa...e_to_stay.html and Owners Direct S16844 as rentals for a week to 10 days, taking day trips from there.

Any thoughts on the best base?
Old Feb 29th, 2012, 10:08 AM

Extremadura is vast and scarcely inhabited...a beautiful territory, though. I like Cáceres better than Badajoz. Plasencia is a great place to stay. But beware! this region is extremely hot in summer and freezing cold in winter...
Old Feb 29th, 2012, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

but what about November, mikelg? The two rentals are in Trujillo and Almoharin.
Old Feb 29th, 2012, 11:41 AM

November is close to winter and it may be rainy and kind of cold, but you should be all right. Trujillo is a beautiful town and you´ll love it. Can´t miss Guadalupe, Plasencia, Cáceres, Béjar, Yuste, Las Hurdes,...I´ve been several times, and last one was on a Parador route (5 Paradors in 9 days). Never heard of Almoharin, though...
Old Feb 29th, 2012, 11:43 AM

Just checked on Google...I see that Almoharin is a small town in Cáceres, in Montanchez region. Great iberian ham all over the place!!! By the way, Extremadura offers great food based mainly in pork produce.