Search

Planning Trip for Parents Milan/Florence

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7th, 2007, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Planning Trip for Parents Milan/Florence

OK, so the following has been planned:

Arrival: Milan, Monday, March 31st in the morning, staying at Le Meridien for 3 nights (have called ahead and paid for the room, taxes, and some special treats)

On Monday, I imagine they will be jet lagged, wanted to give them the day to relax and wander

Tuesday April 1st: Bus/Walking tour of Milan. . .I went on this last year, and I wasn't thrilled with the tour, but I want to ENSURE that they get tickets to see The Last Supper (which I loved) and this is the only way I can see where I can book and pay for it now. I'm inquiring with my hotel to see if I can get tickets through them.

Wednesday, April 2nd:
Shopping day! I know my mom loves to shop (more so than museum) and will want the day for this. I've gotten a ton of books on shopping in Milan for her to read before her trip and outlined stores I knew from my own trip.

Side Question: Should I purchase tickets for them in the evening to see an Opera at La Scala? I'm trying to find a way to do so before xmas day too. Would it be better to do this one on Tuesday evening for them to give them a full day of shopping? Also, what is the attire for the Opera?

Thursday: 9am or 10am Board train to Florence. I've checked and it doesn't seem you can purchase tickets for this trip online until 2 months before the trip. Can I purchase tickets through the hotel or some other service. I'd like to have as much completed for them as possible so they can relax and enjoy a preplanned trip.

We have reservations staying at the Grand Hotel (Starwood) in Florence. . .Is the Westin next door a better hotel as I can still change the reservation? I've also taken care of the reservations and some special treats in the hotel room here.

For Thursday, I thought I'd give them another day to relax and explore (my father knows Florence really well and has always wanted to take my mother)

Friday: Florence

Saturday: Florence

Sunday: Fly home from Florence

I haven't really started looking into the Florence end, but is there anything really special I can book for them that is especially romantic (looking for Honeymooners advice here!) I wanted to give my dad some room to plan activities in Florence, as he's been trying to take my mother here for years and show her the city on some of his business trips. What is your opinion.

Sorry for all the dumb questions and begging for help here. I really want to make this amazing for them!

I have purchased travel books for them as part of our xmas package. I want to help plan and ease stress, but I also want to give them room to plan a trip that THEY want.
Old Dec 7th, 2007, 04:47 PM

Florence has plenty of romance all by itself... perhaps a picnic at view point Michelangelo (most famous view of city) -

Old Dec 7th, 2007, 07:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Milan: The hotel in Milan should be willing and able to get reservations/tickets for The Last Supper. What does the bus/walking tour cover? Does it include the elevator ride to the top of the Duomo? Whether you send them to La Scala for the evening is really your call. Are they opera afficianados? It looks like you can buy 4/1/08 tickets (Verdi's Macbeth) after 1/1/08 from the La Scala website. www.teatroallascala.org The 4/2/08 performances (Puccini) would seem to be sold out, although some tickets will be available for purchase on 4/1/08. You could ask the hotel in Milan if they are able to obtain tickets for either performance through local sources. I haven't been to La Scala in many years, so I hesitate to advise what is acceptable attire these days. FYI, if you pass on the night at the opera, your parents could still go to the La Scala Museum located inside the theater. It's very interesting, and an opportunity to view the theater interior from one of the balconys is included with the entry ticket.

Florence: I agree that Florence itself is romantic. Even though you say your parents aren't much into museums, I would make reservations at the Uffizi and the Accademia. They don't have to spend hours looking at everything, but strolling through the galleries could be very romantic. (Works for me!) Although the view from Piazzale Michelangelo is romantic, I think a picnic there in the first week in April would likely be more chilly than romantic. I'd suggest going there shortly before sunset and staying however long the weather conditions (and their interest) allow.
Old Dec 7th, 2007, 09:31 PM

If your hotel cannot supply the tickets, you can purchase Last Supper tickets online at tickitaly.com
Old Dec 8th, 2007, 07:44 AM
ira

Hi L,

>..it doesn't seem you can purchase tickets for this trip online until 2 months before the trip. Can I purchase tickets through the hotel or some other service?

There really is no rush.

If you can't get the tickets online, they can buy them when they arrive in Milan at the train station or any travel agent.

I suggest that they plan to take the No. 7 bus from the SMN train station up to Fiesole to watch the sunset from the terrace of the Bar Blu.

0:20 hr - 1E each way.

There is a very nice Resto at www.villaurora.net