Planning suprise trip for son and his wife to Multipulciano in the spring

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29th, 2004, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I returned from a wonderful 2 week trip in October to cortona, florence and cinque terra. I am trying to plan the perfect trip for my son and daughter-in-law for a christmas gift. They are very interested in vinyards as my son is a wine collector. They would also like to do some biking. I am looking for the best villa, some info on biking tours and also some day trips from the area as well as best restaurants. Lot to ask but the info I received here prior to my trip was fantastic...Thanks, Teri
Old Nov 29th, 2004, 11:57 AM
DRJ

If you mean Montepulciano, its a nice town. I was there again a couple of weeks ago. It is a HILL town and if you like climbing you'll love it.

For a wine lover, however, I would choose Montalcino, about 25 km west. It is, after all, the home of Brunello, the prime wine of Tuscany.

I stayed at the Fattoria de Barbi, one of the largest Brunello producers, a few years ago. They have a good restaurant and are located a few km south of Montalcino.

In the neighborhood is a wonderful restaurant: Il Rossollino in Pienza, seating twelve only. Worth the drive.
Old Nov 29th, 2004, 02:28 PM

For a different experience, look at www.borgoargenina.it and www.fagiolari.it. Near Montepulciano, look at www.lasaracina.it Good luck !
Old Nov 29th, 2004, 03:36 PM

Sounds wonderful! Great gift, can you adopt me?
Old Nov 29th, 2004, 03:45 PM

For a great location near both Montepulciano and Montalcino, we stayed at Le Traverse. It's a villa near Pienza. Very beautiful setting, and the owners were very helpful (they got us reservations at several excellent restaurants nearby).

I believe it's in Karen Brown's guide, but here's the website:

http://www.nautilus-mp.com/tuscany/a...verse/#inglese

Jim
Old Nov 29th, 2004, 05:36 PM

We stayed at La Saracina in Oct. It was so wonderful and so romantic. The website doesn't do it justice. I have been to Italy many times and this was by far my favorite place. The owner is great and happy to help with anything. The location is perfect for touring the wine country. Make sure they have dinner at La Grotta in Montepulciano.
Old Nov 29th, 2004, 05:50 PM

Newsflash: Planning a surprise trip for someone else is an invitation for disaster. How will you know their schedules? What they have planned? What their personal needs at home are? And that is not even beginning to address the trip itself and what they may really want to see with THEIR time!! You can't but that mister! So buy the wino a nice old bottle and give them cash and let them decide the where and when.
Old Nov 29th, 2004, 06:00 PM

sandoli, what a wonderful idea. Will you adopt me? Your son will love the experience!!!

What a great place to visit. We loved Montepulciano and the surrounding towns.

If you're like me and don't drink $50 a bottle of Brunello as the norm, the Nobile di Montepulciano's are wonderful and affordable!!!

Can't help you with the villa, but there are plenty in the area. Do a search.
Old Nov 29th, 2004, 06:14 PM

Bud, I doubt his son will love to have you as a bro. For starters, you would drink up all the good stuff.
Old Nov 29th, 2004, 06:21 PM

nellyanne, you never have anything <b>positive</b> to say on this message board. Maybe you should go plan in another sandbox.
Old Nov 29th, 2004, 06:23 PM

Oops -- <b>play</b>
Old Nov 29th, 2004, 11:09 PM

Pardon me Budman if you do not find that my comments are helpful. I can assure you I was not put on this earth to please you and give you cheery thoughts. Nor am I here to keep you from drowning in your mugs. Now lay off the booze so you can cut back on all those gaffes and typos.
Old Nov 30th, 2004, 03:42 AM
Original Poster

I thank you all for your suggestions - please keep them coming. and to the person who suggested I not do this. It is a surprise to my daughter in law. My son is helping me with the plans
Old Nov 30th, 2004, 04:57 AM

I'm with budman,Please adopt me!
Bob listed some nice places. I also agree that Montalcino is a perfect vino destination.
Old Nov 30th, 2004, 05:36 AM

Montalcino area has several wineries to visit. We visited Banfi and had lunch -- it was a little pricy, but was nice. Their tasting room/gift shop was great. You have to make a reservation for lunch or dinner. Banfi.com.

A short distance from Montepulciano is a small walled village of Monticchiello. We had our best meal at Taverna Di Moranda. Also, right outside of the gate is a small cafe which was great for coffee, wine, and views of sunset.
Old Nov 30th, 2004, 08:19 AM

I e-mailed you earlier, but didn't get a response back. Our best friends own a second home in San Quirico, just 20 mins from Montepulciano. We obviously spend a lot of time there. I have a 20+ page itinerary for touring Italy, with a heavy emphasis on the area you are considering (Val d'Orcia - Montepulciano, Pienza, San Quirico). The itinerary has an excellent driving route through the Val d'Orcia, that dozens of people have followed on the AOL travel board. E-mail me at [email protected] if you want a copy.

La Saracina (as someone else noted) is one of my two favorite hotels in all of Europe (we vacation 2 months each year in Europe). Perfect location, perfect size, perfect everything. Ask for the Malvinsa room. It has a spa in the bathroom you can do laps in, plus a huge shower &amp; double sinks. Great pool, tennis courts, &amp; olive grove.

Stu Dudley
San Mateo (San Francisco), Ca