Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Planning on going on a Contiki tour to Greece in 2017?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6th, 2016, 03:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, Just wondering, has anyone been on a Greek tour with contiki before or other places within the European continent? As this tour will be an addition to their menu of tours, ie a newbee on the block, this may not have applied to yours, but there have been other similar tours they have provided, so what I am getting at is what should I expect?

I am currently 26 turning 27 next march (2017, coinciding with the year I go on the tour), I am a single female, from Brisbane, Queensland. Australia, I also happen to have high functioning Autistic Spectrum disorder (a social/neurological disorder) and was wondering what the contiki staff think of this, is there support if things go pear shaped and of if I don t completely understand something 100%, please give me advice?

I am looking forward to going?

Just a note, I will be doing May/June time of year! and this will be my first timer!
Old Oct 6th, 2016, 05:37 AM

Contiki gets mixed reviews on travel forums, also on this one (use the Search function on this page).
For you the character of the trip should be of special consideration. Reviews mention relatively large groups with a party atmosphere. Would that suit you?
Old Oct 6th, 2016, 07:51 AM

Hmm. Assuming you mean the 9 day tour that goes to Mykonos and Ios, that will be . . . interesting because Mykonos is a party island. The general vibe of Greek Island hopping tours on Contiki (the ones that are about 2 weeks) is that they are party-hardy trips. And honestly, any trip to Greece that's dominated by time in the Islands will lean toward the party atmosphere.

There are more structured single-country trips that are not necessarily party trips - France, Italy, UK (the Spain/Portugal trip tends to rock hard, but there's always some folks who opt out of the insanity).

All told, you may also want to travel with a buddy because the tours do include a good bit of on your own time and someone with what was known as Asperger's Syndrome (before the stupid shrinks decided to delete that classification - what you're describing seems to be the status formerly known as Asperger's) may find that helpful. That issue is yours to handle. The tour group leaders are not necessarily guides and they are not omnipresent.
Old Oct 6th, 2016, 08:45 AM

Have you already signed on? If not, I would look for a smaller group tour for sure. I just reviewed a greece tour yesterday. (Click my name to find it).

In the brief review I mentioned loving having my own room...but I am a very independent person and there will be a few lonely moments. You probably don't want to risk an unknown roomie IMO. I have heard that some tours switch sharing singles roommates at each hotel...which sounds fab to me. That way, if you don't really bond, you know you only have a couple more nights together!

Whatever you choose, relax and enjoy and let your tour guide do the worrying...you just need to be at the meeting place on time...carry a watch, phone or timer and have fun!
Old Oct 6th, 2016, 11:32 AM

Contiki tours are some of the best of that genre - especially for younger adults- I've observed many Contiki tours in campgrounds -in Contiki Villages in camps and to say it is a party atmosphere is wrong IME - oh they go out at night with others but in the Contiki Village all seemed kumbala - and many folks who have taken Contiki tours report here favorably about them.

A very established tour company - been around for years.
Old Oct 6th, 2016, 05:39 PM

Contiki is definitely party central, esp the Greek islands.

Not sure how you issue manifests itself, but you should be aware that the tour leaders have very specific responsibilities as regards the guests, they are not on duty 24/7 and if you feel you will need a lot of special attnetion in terms of explaining things or reassuring you about questions/issues many group leaders do not have the time for that.

I would contact the central office and give them a couple of examples of what sort of support you might need to they an tell you if they are within the purview of the tour leaders.

For instance, one package deal I was on stopped in Amsterdam and one of the members managed to knock his jacket (including wallet, credit cards and passport) over the edge of the canal boat and into the water. It sank before anyone could do anything (if I were him I would have jumped in but he was clueless). So the guide explained to him how/where to go to the local police to make a report about the wallet and cards and how to find the american embassy so he could have his passport replaced the next day. He expected her to go through all this with him, holding is hand, and the whole group to spend another day Amsterdam waiting while he got another passport. She explained that wasn't how it worked - the group was continuing on - but she helped him with train info to get to Paris once he got his new passport. So he and his wife had to stay but he was very irate - but the other guests were not pleases by his antics.
Old Oct 6th, 2016, 05:56 PM

I think you have to assume allowances will not be made. I will say that most of my older relatives have travelled by tour (not contiki, Tauck) and from what I've seen it really depends on the group of people. They had some fantastic trips and then they had a few with companions like the man nytraveler describes.

I suspect a lot of it depends on how much you like people. Or what your standards/needs are in terms of food and lodging. I knew two people in college who said they were high functioning end of the spectrum. It was less their condition and more how they reacted that made a difference. What are you worried about not understanding? Or what are you worried about "going pear shaped"?
Old Oct 6th, 2016, 06:40 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>Contiki tours are some of the best of that genre - especially for younger adults-<<

maybe the best of 'that' genre - but not IMO for <i>this</i> OP

>> I've observed many Contiki tours in campgrounds -in Contiki Villages in camps and to say it is a party atmosphere is wrong IME<<

As BigRuss says (and if I'm not mistaken he has actually <i>taken</i> a Contiki tour(s) -- there are Contikis and then there Contikis. Any Contiki tour to Greek Isles will be party central and fairly rowdy. Even IF that wasn't Contiki's intention, that is the demographic they attract.

mej210390, from what you describe of yourself I do hope you research some more and find another company to tour with. It will be more expensive, but you may want to look for a small group tour, or one with a special interest -- like a walking tour or something like that. IMO/IME a Contiki tour to greek islands isn't a great fit for you.
Old Oct 7th, 2016, 12:22 AM

I think the question you should be asking is: "Are you right for a Contiki Tour?" rather than the other way round. Are you comfortable in large groups and in noisy situations? Do you need some alone time?

Perhaps you should discuss the ASD with your doctor and see what (s)he says about the tour, which is similar to Busabout.
Old Oct 7th, 2016, 12:46 AM

I agree with the others. I would not expect any sort of personalized hand-holding, especially of a medical kind, from any Contiki staff, no matter how much you might think you need it. It doesn't sound as though a hard-partying type of tour would suit you at all, frankly.