Amsterdam - Cannabis Cup

Search

Amsterdam - Cannabis Cup

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26th, 2006, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amsterdam - Cannabis Cup

Have any of you Fodorites been to the Cannabis Cup with judges tickets?
The tickets are US$200 this year and i was wondering if its worth it and what exactly the judges ticket entitles you to get

The Cannabis Cup website is pretty useless in terms of info - so far i have understood that the ticket covers shuttle buses that take you from coffeeshop to coffeeshop plus entry to a few gigs and the main 3day expo (which you can goto for only 30Euro anyway) - do you have to buy you own smoke at each coffeeshop or are free samples included in the ticket?

any info would be appreciated
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 04:34 PM

I have been to Amsterdam several times during the week of Thanksgiving, and actually paid for a judges pass a few years back. I do not believe that it is worth the $200+ that they are charging. Here is my take on the C-Cup.

The Melk Weg is insanely crowded for the opening ceremonies on Sunday night, mostly by a younger inconsiderate very stoned and mostly American crowd. Very stereotypical of exactly what my dutch friends that live in Amsterdam do NOT like in their city.

Centrum is not that large that you would need to take a shuttle anywhere, the city trams are a better bet, and not much more than a euro a ride with a Stripenkart multi-ride ticket.

You only would get to judge three 'finalist' strains in the different categories - those were already picked in advance.

There is plenty of other good music in Amsterdam to see - buying the pass is a pretty big investment in the bands at the Melk Weg that week.

I'm pretty sure that you can buy an Expo pass if you want to attend that, much less expensive.

You do not get free samples anywhere - I think there were a few of the entrants gave a 10% discount. Remember these coffee shops are paying the 'equivalent' of several thousand dollars to get into the contest, they expect that it will bring more business to their shop - it is advertising.

Feel free to e-mail to me if you want more info. I myself will be there from 11/19 - 11/26. It can be a bit chilly, all the more reason to take in a few museums after visiting some of the local coffee shops. Also, most of the bars around the Leidseplien are filled with a ton of people from the US enjoying the long Thanksgiving holiday weekend, it is good fun. If you like sports - don't miss the Thanksgiving football at the Satellite Sports Cafe, you won't be sorry. They even have a Turkey dinner. The games are on live at 7 and 10pm.

I hope that this helps you out!

Chris
Old Nov 14th, 2006, 02:38 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the reply Chris

I have decided not to bother going during the C Cup this year - a couple of my friends are booked to go this weekend with their judges passes but i didnt want to pay for it - i have actually been to the 'Dam before but I am overdue another trip and I think it will have to wait until the New Year now!

Enjoy your trip (in both senses of the word!)
Old Nov 14th, 2006, 03:20 AM

The Cannabis Cup seems to be an event purely aimed at Americans; I have never heard any Dutch people going to this. Probably a good way to make money for the coffeeshops; US$200 entitles you to use shuttle buses between coffee shops in Amsterdam?? Have you ever tried to get around Amsterdam on a bus?
Old Feb 15th, 2008, 06:02 AM

Hello fello fodorites...my nephew is interested in going to CC in 2008 with some of his friends...am wondering if anyone went in 2007 and if it was worthwhile (which I guess is relative)...also, any hotel recommendations?

Thanks.