Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Planning Honeymoon-Need help with where to go!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 01:28 PM
Jenny

Hello. My fiance and I are getting married July 5, 2003. We don't know much about Greece or the Greek Islands but we think this would be a perfect place to go.<BR><BR>We need help narrowing down the islands to look into. We are both interesting in breathtaking views accompanied with some of the culture and history.<BR><BR>We only have about a week to spend in Greece. We would probably enjoy more intimate places to stay then larger touristy hotels. We are very "outdoorsy" places and don't require ultimate pampering.<BR><BR>Any help would be much appreciated as we begin. Also, we're considering doing the honeymoon as part of our registry. Does anyone have any experience with that and the Greek Islands? Thanks.<BR><BR>Jenny

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 02:02 PM
Elin

Hi Jenny! Try out Skiathos!! Wonderful Island. 64 beaches, a nice authentiek Greek town with wonderful romantic restaurants, nice shopping etc. Hotel recommendations: Skiathos Club, Hotel Esperides and Hotel Atrium.

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 06:39 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Go to Oia at the north end of Santorini.

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 06:54 PM
Paula

I loved Korfu and hear that Crete is really great too.<BR>

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 07:06 PM
elvira

Naxos is small, pretty quiet, good beaches, great scenery as you drive around the island.<BR><BR>Food ain't bad either.

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 07:21 PM
Val

I am also interested to go Greece for my honeymoon. What would the weather be like in late Jan? What can we do if we have four weeks?

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 11:15 PM
rena

You definatelly have to visit Santorini.<BR>It is one of the most energetic places of Greece with Akropolis and Delphi.<BR>I am very sure that you will remember me when you get there. It is said that all the couples that go there either fell more in love or break up because the place is so romantic that if you are not really in love you can not stand it.<BR>One more tip. Do not stay in Fira the main town of the island. It is always very crawded and the rooms are very expensive not the mention the smell of the donkeys!!!<BR>I stayed in Megalochori a village 4,5km from the centre in a hotel that built right on the cliff with increadible view and the best sunset. Try it out artemistudio.com You will love it

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 12:34 AM
michael

Santorini is definitely romantic, but also heaving with people in July. For me the most romantic island is Folegandros, a tiny island near Santorini, with a lovely place to stay called the Anememilos (Windmill) run by an English speaking Greek couple. It is like an extension of the village, with apartments for families and smaller rooms for couples. Fantastic views over the cliffs, small pool, good tavernas nearby - and if you could get a blessing in the chapel just above on the hillside, then it would be to die for.<BR>But the Greek orthodox are pretty strict about blessing (let alone marrying) non-Orthodox people. I think getting it registered should be possible in Athens, but harder outside Athens, esp if you are not European.<BR><BR>The Anemomilos is at: <BR>http://www.i-escape.com/anemomilosapartments.php<BR><BR>Kala stefana! (Greek wedding greeting)<BR>Michael

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 08:55 AM
Jenny

This is Jenny. When I reread my message I realized that I might have made it confusing. I'm getting married in the US. Just looking for places for the honeymoon. <BR><BR>Thanks to everyone who has already given me help!