Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Planning for Ireland in June (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/planning-for-ireland-in-june-98000/)

Tamye Dec 31st, 2000 11:38 AM

Planning for Ireland in June

My husband and I will be celebrating our 25th wedding <BR> anniversary by visiting Ireland in the middle of June. (He went there <BR> 15 years ago, and hasn't stopped talking about it since!) We don't <BR> want to be tied down to a "tour", but are not sure about driving there. <BR> We'd like to fly into Shannon, and see as much as we can of <BR> everything! Are there private tours available (day trips), so we could <BR> go where we wanted, but still not be part of a group?

Cathy Dec 31st, 2000 01:59 PM

Tamye <BR>The Irish public transport company - CIE hasve a CIE tours section that do week long tours, alternatively you can take day trips with the Bus Eireann company (public bus company) however most of these trips are run out of the major cities and towns, check out www.cie.ie for links to both the Cie tours web site and the Bus Eireann site. <BR> <BR>Gettng around in Ireland is not that easy if you are relying on public transport however it is doable but it is time consuming. <BR> <BR>Hope this helps, <BR> <BR>Cathy

forrest Dec 31st, 2000 03:12 PM

We spent 10 days in SW Ireland last year. Rented a car with friends. Price of renting a car(outside of a package) is, . . shocking. I think it was around $600-700 for the week plus insurance which was around $150 or 200. There are fly-drive packages that include car and vouchers for staying at literally dozens if not hundreds of inns, bed and breakfasts, hotels, and farms. That's a great way to go. Do a search of fly drive vacations in Ireland. The vouchers for lodging give you great freedom plus the security of knowing the places are pre-selected for quality etc. You should come up with some deals. FYI we loved Kemare, in county Kerry - ring of Kerry, etc. Kenmare is a beutiful little town that boast many fine restaurants, . . we went to the Square Pint, a Kenmare pub every night. There were world class Irish bands playing there every night. It was incredible! Don't miss the Square Pint in Kenmare! I mean it, . . don't miss the Square Pint! when you come back, e-mail me a message to tell me I was right. have fun. F. Pommerenke, Sharon, PA

Danna Dec 31st, 2000 04:10 PM

Tamye, <BR> <BR>My husband and I went to Scotland, Northern Ireland and Ireland for our 20th anniverary and 'got kid to University" trip. <BR> <BR>We took local coaches (ie. the bus) everywhere. It was grand! Sit by the driver and chat with him if you can. We found that they were great help and great fun. In a car, or on the train, you just talk to one another... on the bus you can talk to lots of folks. HAVE FUN!

Debbie Jan 2nd, 2001 12:54 PM

Tammye, <BR> I was in Ireland for 9 days in Nov. My mother and I rented a car ( I drove the whole time) and got around fine. We were able to rent the car for around $350 for the 8 'rental' days because it was off season. Be sure to look for the best deals. <BR> <BR>We spent time between Galway/Waterford/Killarney & Bunratty. Loved Killarney the best , but don't miss the crystal factory. <BR> <BR>Your best bet might be to get a car to go between cities, but to take local tours once you are there. <BR> <BR>We took the day trip around the Ring of Kerry, and am I glad I did! I would not have enjoyed driving it, and we got the bonus of all the stories the bus driver told us. <BR> <BR>I have a post further down that has lots of details of my trip in case you are interested. <BR> <BR>also - check out www.irelandexpert.com for more advice - I did and found it VERY helpful

Danna Jan 2nd, 2001 04:07 PM

debbie @ annonymous <BR>please pull up your ring of kerry or posting so we can check it out. It's difficult with annonymous listings. My husband's parents are visiting Ireland next year and I'd like to find them local tours. Thanks

Debbie Jan 3rd, 2001 10:09 AM

done. the title is <BR> Try 2 - Just back from Ireland - thoughts...

Linda Jan 6th, 2001 09:16 AM

My husband and I celebrated our 30th anniversary with a trip to Ireland last summer. We flew into Dublin 6/27 and flew out of Shannon 7/7. We used the bus during our stay in Dublin, a 3 day pass gave you unlimited use. Otherwise it is 85 cents per use. With the pass it allowed us to go back and forth to the b&b without searching for the right change. We rented a car and drove to Killarney, Dingle, Doolin and Galway. Yes the roads are narrow and there may be sheep in the road, but the freedom to just stop where you felt like it made up for that. My husband did all the driving and after the first day, was comfortable.You just need to slow down and expect things to not be like our roads. I look at my photos and would love to go back in a year or so. The scenery was spectacular, our b&bs were great, the food and drink wonderful and the people were so special.

Linda Jan 6th, 2001 01:05 PM

I just reserved a car for 7 days the end of next May/beginning of June. With the insurance it is costing $209 US. I am getting it through AutoEurope. It is a 4 door compact. Not that expensive and we are free to go where we want when we want! <BR> <BR>Linda