Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Planning for Crete-Athens-Italy trip in September (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/planning-for-crete-athens-italy-trip-in-september-903905/)

jahana61 Aug 24th, 2011 02:22 PM

Planning for Crete-Athens-Italy trip in September

Hi every body
I'm planning a trip including 18 days , first I will be in Crete (chania) and then in Athens, and Then I'm going to Italy. I had planed for 6 days in Crete (attending in a conference for 3 days-from 8:00-18:00), 4 days and half Athens, and 7days and half in Italy including Rome, Florance, Venize and Pissa! What you think about the plan? can I completly see each part without missing any special place or without hurry?! please give me any advise if you think its good to mention

and also! I want to know if there is any travel guide in booklet format for athens! I found some for Italy's cities ...

CaptCanuck Aug 24th, 2011 03:49 PM

Hi there...I'd rent a car in Crete if you will be there for 6 days so you can do some exploring on your 3 non course days..as for Italy, I worry that it will be too much to properly see all of those cities in just over 7 days...we've spent 6 nights each in Rome and Venice alone...why not split it between 2 cities? I wouldn't include Pisa on the list...the other 3 are far more memorable to me..but that's just me!
cheers,
CC

adrienne Aug 24th, 2011 03:54 PM

No. You cannot completely see Rome, Florence, Venice, and Pisa in 7.5 days. You could not see all of Rome in that time. Choose 2 places in Italy to visit.

I haven't been to Crete but I'm sure you cannot see the entire island in 3 days.

parosblue Aug 24th, 2011 03:58 PM

Hi jahana61,
Well you pose a hard question to answer. Since you will only be on Crete and in Athens, of course you will miss many special parts of Greece. However, you can't see it all and if you are determined to include Italy, then at least reduce your locations there. Visiting more than one country limits the time you can experience either one. I'm wondering if you wish to make this a city-to-city trip after Chania? I also wonder, if you do want some time to relax, why not spend your whole time in Greece?

jahana61 Aug 25th, 2011 02:48 AM

wow ... first of all thanks for your kind replies ... secondely i really don't know know what to do now, regarding the answers! i searched a lot last week and found some hop-on hop-off buses both in greece and italy and based on their programes and also other travel guide, i tought i can do this!
about the island, u are right, my friend in crete has recommcended me to spend 15 days in crete to see it completely, but as I am alone, I am not sure if I can tolarate one place in a such long time!
about greece, i just want to see athens, and if it is possible, may be i go for thessaloniki, but i'm eager to be in italy more than other cities of greece, by the way, i want to see delphi toooo.
you know, my first and last reason which makes me to be in such a city-to-city travel is that i am alone, and i can use my time as well.
on the other hand, my searches for italy has not been completed yet but i got several useful tips from travelplan.it which helped me so much.
i really don't know what to say now ... i can reduce the days in crete, and add them to athens and italy!
I will be happy if you give me some advise ... again ;)

jahana61 Aug 25th, 2011 02:57 AM

CaptCanuk ... i read ur travel note for crete, it was great! how many nights to spend in crete? i couldn't sum them as well :(

parosblue Aug 25th, 2011 04:39 PM

Hi jahana61,
You didn't say what month you are traveling, but I get the idea you are not interested in hanging out on beaches or on the islands. Rent a car to see some of Crete and skip the idea of going to Thessaloniki to save the time for Italy. Be sure to fly between Crete and Athens. While in Crete drive to Rethymnon and then south over the mountains to the coast. It is beautiful and you can go either way along the coast as time permits to see villages and vistas. In Athens, stay in the Plaka area so you can easily get to the major sites and restaurants. You have enough time to take a day tour up to Delphi - it is a wonderful site to visit and you might like the company of being on a tour.

CaptCanuck Aug 26th, 2011 07:19 AM

Hi jahana61,

We spent 6 night nights in Crete, but that was with a car, visiting 4 different destinations. I'd knock a night off of Athens and add it to Italy if that's what you are most keen to do.
cheers,
CC

Sassafrass Aug 27th, 2011 07:40 PM

I would also take a day from Athens and add it to Italy.