Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Planning December 2012 Trip to Switzerland (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/planning-december-2012-trip-to-switzerland-950187/)

sumitroy001 Sep 12th, 2012 06:15 AM

Planning December 2012 Trip to Switzerland

Planning a trip to Switzerland this December for 4 adults (2 couples) and a child of 8 yrs. We intend to sight-see more than engaging in any winter sports for this time.

I would be really happy to get some help to plan the trip keeping in mind the:
- time of the year
- the budget (3500-4000 CHF)
- the places we intend to visit (Zurich, Lucerne, Interlaken, Wengen, Jungfrau-Aletsch-Bietschhorn, Mürren, then on to Schilthorn/Piz Gloria, Grindelwald, Thun)
- duration of trip (6 nights, 5 days)

Itinerary so far is: Reach Zurich evening of 22/12 (22:00 hrs) and leave Zurich evening of 28/12 (20:00 hrs)

Thanks for the help.

PalenQ Sep 12th, 2012 06:24 AM

Well if going to all those places or even half of them then be sure to investigate the Swiss Saverpass with a free Family Pass where the 8 yr old gets a free pass and never pays a dime for any kind of transporation in Switzerland - even on conveyances where the Swiss Pass may only grant 50% - a 3-day Swiss Flexipass (Saver = 2 or more names on one pass at a cheaper rate than a solo pass and even one of the persons named on the pass can use the pass if the others that day do not want to)

But if going to Lauterbrunnen, Murren, Gimmelwald then a Swiss Pass covers all of those aerial gondolas, mountain trains and postal bus to and from Stechleberg in full.

Other options are the Jungfrau Railways pass and Berner Oberland Pass and Half-Fare Card - lots of options - check www.swisstravelsystem.com for regular fares and pass prices in Swiss francs and also check these fan IMO sites on Swiss transports - trains - gondolas, etc - http://www.budgeteuropetravel.com/id3.html and www.ricksteves.com. Check pass prices both in Swiss francs for those sold at any Swiss train station and also in US dollars if Stateside as often IME the same exact pass can be cheaper her than there.

with a Swiss Pass cany kids under 16 traveling with at least one parent gets a free Family Pass where again they never pay a dime to travel on anything - passes are also good on city trams, buses, etc.

nytraveler Sep 12th, 2012 06:55 AM

Sorry - don;t see how you can possible see all of those places in so little time. That trip is at least 2 weeks. And not sure what you will be doing in the mountains except winter sports (unless you just want to sit on a train and look out the window).

Zurich is a business city with not a lot to see and do. Lucerne is a tourist town - but I don;t know if the lake steamers operate in winter - and heading up one of the mountains will mean lots of snow - and I don;t know what you will do with that. Are you just going to walk around in it?

nytraveler Sep 12th, 2012 07:29 AM

Sorry -

you do have 5 days - but that includes Christmas eve and Christmas Day - when not everything will be open (esp shops and restaurants). I think you need to plan carefully where you will be then - since meals outside of hotels may be difficult.

PalenQ Sep 12th, 2012 02:03 PM

Even train stations, always a bastion of foods and grocery stores on holidays in most countries can be closed - the shops that is - on a day like Christmas in Switzerland - heck I was taking an overnight train once from Zurich and by about 8pm all the stores in the shopping mall were closed or closing - very unusual for a train station.

sumitroy001 Sep 14th, 2012 03:39 AM

Thanks all for discouraging my trip and take the points. Where else in EU can we get a good Christmas vacation. I stay in London. Thanks.

kingster Sep 17th, 2012 04:49 PM

One year we flew into Munich from the US on 24/14, took the train to Vienna on Christmas Eve day and had a blast--speading 3 nites there. Christmas Day, the Belvedere Palace & it's Christmas Market was open, and we were able to secure a private tour of Vienna and surrounding area for the afternoon through our hotel. Christmas night we had a very nice dinner at the hotel. 12/26 we traveled to Salzburgh to take in the sights for 2 days, then, on to Luzern for a fantastic New Years. New Years Eve, everything was closed, but again, we booked a pvt tour through the Hotel National. We did book a restaurant prior to our trip for NY Eve, but if we repeat the trip that time of year again, we would definately stay at the hotel for their New Year's celebration. We returned in time to join everyone at the hotel for fireworks over the lake. Breathtaking!
Our last day there we took the boat ride on the lake over to the gondola and train that takes visiters to the top of Mt. Rigi. It was a special day in spite of the fact that everytihng in town was closed.
On 02/01 we took an early train to Zurich, one hour, to fly home. The train stops right in the basement level of the airport! Awesome stuff.

PalenQ Sep 18th, 2012 11:18 AM

Thanks all for discouraging my trip and take the points. Where else in EU can we get a good Christmas vacation. I stay in London.>

Welcome to Fodor's and Fodorgarchs who think they know everything and what can and cannot be done and often said with attitude. Ignore them and go to Switzerland or if not that at least at Xmas in London stand under the Swiss Clock at the Swiss Centre!