Bruges to Paris Train Questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18th, 2013, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there a direct train from Bruges to Paris without a connection? If not, what is the best way to make the connection with luggage? Also, are there luggage lockers at the Brussels train station. Would it be possible to leave our luggage at the train station in Brussels and walk to see some of the main sights? Thanks for any suggestions.
Old Jan 18th, 2013, 11:00 AM

Yes, once a day, around 6am as I recall.

Most people just catch the half hourly InterCity Bruges to Brussels Midi and change there onto the Thalys high-speed train to Paris.

It's soooo easy. Just book at www.b-Europe.com with self-print tickets.

Yes, there are lockers and a staffed left luggage at Brussels Midi, around €4 per item, open 24 hours.
Old Jan 18th, 2013, 11:37 AM

We dd just as Man_in_seat_61 said. Very easy.
Old Jan 18th, 2013, 09:49 PM
Original Poster

How far is it to walk to the main square in Brussels from the train station?
Old Jan 18th, 2013, 10:06 PM

It's about a 25 minute walk. Check Google Earth to see the relative locations.
Old Jan 19th, 2013, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the input. Is it worth taking the time to go to the main square in Brussels?
Old Jan 19th, 2013, 09:46 AM

The Grsnd Palace is next to many restaurants and a covered shopping area- pretty to see once.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiaZw3ltvjI
Old Jan 19th, 2013, 09:51 AM

Sorry- the Grand Place
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yJDprksqp4
Old Jan 19th, 2013, 01:00 PM

First of all there are 3 train stations in Brussels.

The Grand Place is about a 5-10 minute walk from the Central Station.
However, most of the trains to Paris, leave from the Midi/Zuid Station.A walk to the Grand Place is doable from Midi. but you're almost better off going to Central, Putting your stuff into a Locker- just don't loose the ticket- and go doodle around the Grand Place. On your way out, grab your bags, take the train to Midi- all of 5 minutes and transfer to your train to Paris.

How long are you in Brussels? A few Hours or More?
Old Jan 19th, 2013, 01:49 PM

Yes, the Grand' Place is worth seeing. Like Beergirl says - catch a train to Central, or else take the metro (a local underground train, also from Midi) to Bourse. It's just a short walk from there.

http://www.gtf.be/metro_bruxelles.html

To find the metro:

http://www.b-europe.com/~/media/File...russel_En.ashx

Lavandula
Old Feb 27th, 2013, 09:08 AM

Do you book from Bruges to Brussels separately from Brussels to Paris?
Old Feb 27th, 2013, 09:27 AM

Additional questiion re train from Bruges to Brussels: When I look at the options, it appears you have about 15 minutes to get from the Intercity train to the Thalys one. Is that doable?
Old Feb 27th, 2013, 10:02 AM

Yes, you book separately, and yes 15 minutes is totally doable. You just look at the clearly designated signs at the station that tell you which track your next train leaves from. If confused, ask a conductor.
Old Feb 27th, 2013, 10:02 AM

I really liked the Grand Place (I don't understand that spelling of it, though, it should be grande in French, what's the history of that), and think it is worth it. There are a couple museums right on it, also.

BUt you don't have to walk (which is probably closer to 30 minute from Gare du Midi, which is where Thalys trains go from Paris, I think). YOu can easily take tram lines 3 or 4 from that train station to the Bourse stop which is right near the Grand Place. It's only 2-3 stops away. YOu can buy tickets in the machines there, there is a daily ticket and individual. This is the tram map http://www.stib.be/irj/go/km/docs/ho...110901/4_1.gif
Old Feb 27th, 2013, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

Thank you again to everyone for the helpful information!
Old Feb 27th, 2013, 11:21 AM

A routing not involving Thalys trains, which if you do not book months in advance can be very costly, and taking about exactly the same time goes Bruges to Lille-Flandres then TGV to Paris - and the cost can be a lot cheaper than the Thalys route - especially if you have not booked really far ahead.

And Lille could also be a great place for a few-hour stop en route to Paris - baggage storage in the train station, which is right in the heart of town.

Folks with railpasses will want to use this route as you only pay a 3 euro seat reservation fee on the Lille F-Paris TGV (and is always available to passholders IME) and not the absurd surcharge - the highest in Europe TMK for pass holders on Thalys - a surcharge that indeed can cost more than the cheapest deep discounted Brussels to Paris ticket.

For lots of great info on trains in France and Belgium check out these superb IMO sites - www.seat61.com (Man in Seat 61 who posts above, his excellent commercial site and www.ricksteves.com and www.budgeteuropetravel.com.

Lille Flandres is also a bit more easily manageable station that the hectic Brussels-Midi (a k a South or Zuid) station that is mobbed in part because Chunnel trains from London arrive here.
Old Feb 27th, 2013, 12:46 PM

Note however that direct Bruges to Lille Flandres trains go only about every two hours but with a simple change of trains at Kortrik - from one platform to another you can go Bruges to Lille F every hour or so. That ticket you just buy in Bruges - a flat fare ticket with no seat reservations possible.
Old Feb 27th, 2013, 01:54 PM

I've usually seen the Belgian spelling as Gran' Place, not Grand Place, so I assume it's a contraction of Grande.
Old Feb 27th, 2013, 03:21 PM

I thought it were "Grand' Place?
Old Feb 28th, 2013, 05:46 AM

I've usually seen the Belgian spelling as Gran' Place, not Grand Place, so I assume it's a contraction of Grande.>

I can fin no spelling of Gran' Place anywhere on Belgian web sites - yes there is Grand'Place but no Gran' Place - where did you come up with Gran' Place - I cannot find that spelling anywhere as a Belgian spelling - any references?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -