Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Planning a two week trip to Berlin, Prague, Vienna, Bratislava, Budapest (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/planning-a-two-week-trip-to-berlin-prague-vienna-bratislava-budapest-732548/)

z_n_d Aug 28th, 2007 03:26 PM

Planning a two week trip to Berlin, Prague, Vienna, Bratislava, Budapest

My husband and I are planning a last minute 15 day trip from Sept 7 - Sept 23 to eastern europe and would love to get some feedback on how many nights we should spend in each city. We are particularly excited about visiting Berlin and Prague and would like to maximize our time in these two cities.

flying from NYC to Berlin

Berlin (4 nights, w/ a possible visit to Buchenwald to see the sight of the concentration camps) -- train to Prague

Prague (5 nights, w/day trip to cesky Krumlov) -- train to Vienna

Vienna (3 nights, w/day trip to Bratislava) -- train to Budapest

Budapest (3 nights) -- flying back to NYC

Does this sound like enough time in each city? Also, we would like to visit one concentration camp on this trip, should it be Buchenwald or Terezin? Any other suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Michael Aug 28th, 2007 03:46 PM

Buchenwald is close to Weimar. Sachsenhausen would be the one to see from Berlin.

Michael Aug 28th, 2007 03:48 PM

I recommend the B&B Bellevue in Budapest (http://www.bellevuebudapest.com/inde...az=1&aaz=0)

nytraveler Aug 28th, 2007 04:00 PM

It's a not unreasonable itinerary. I did a similar trip about 10 years ago - when I could only get 2 weeks off.

It wasn't so bad since I had been to both Berlin and Vienna before - and I did 1 night less in each of those and 1 more each in Prague and Budapest.

I love Budapest - but Prague is one of my absolute favorite european cities. Have been back 3 times since then (twice for work and added a couple of days vacation) and always find more to do. The range of musical offerings is incredible - and VERY inexpensive.

kja Aug 29th, 2007 07:18 AM

Whether the amount of time you are allocating to each city is optimal or not depends on how many days you have once you take travel time into account and what you want to see and do in these places. For example, much as I love Prague, I would spend less time there so that I could spend more time in Vienna's museums - but that's just me. There're all wonderful places - enjoy!

noe847 Aug 31st, 2007 09:21 AM

I'd take at least one night, if not two, from Prague and give to Berlin and/or Vienna. I've been to Prague twice and really liked it, but 2 days in the city will give you a very good look (and then you can add a day trip if you'd like).

My 6 nights in Berlin were not nearly enough, so I'm returning next week for another 7 nights - it's a fantastic, vibrant, interesting city, although not *breathtakingly pretty* as Prague is. Potsdam makes a wonderful side trip; it will take a day. Sachsenhausen concentration camp is another worthwhile day or half day.

I've been to Vienna three times, and was supposed to go again after our week in Berlin, but have had to cancel that part of the trip :( The art, the coffee houses, the music, the palaces, the churches, the shopping - Vienna has it all.

driverguide Aug 31st, 2007 10:08 AM

HI,
my name is Andrew Illes, a local private tourist guide in Budapest.
If you does not like to travel in big group, I will offer my tailor-made private service with my vehicle, comfortable for 3-4 pers.
Have a look in my web site: www.guideinbudapest.com and you can select planty of interesting program.
Please feel free to write me and I will reply to your questions.
Regards,
Andrew

guideinbudapest Aug 26th, 2008 04:46 AM

Hi,

If you're searching for native hungarian private guides for an unforgettable sightseeing/walking tour in Budapest or the surroundings, take a look on the following websites:
www.babotka.com (Katalin Babot)
www.guideinhungary.hu (Tibor Lázár)
www.kataguide.hu (Katalin Patai)
www.pannonvoyage.hu (Anikó Dalos)
www.hediguide.hu (Hedvig Gaal)
www.personalguides.hu (George Fohn)
www.budapestguides.hu (Judit Gresznáryk)
www.twinstour.hu (The Koncz-twins: Emese & Krisztina)
www.guide4you.hu (István Nádor)
www.tourguideistvan.net (István Kovács)
www.juliaguide.hu (Júlia Sarlai)

peggionthego Aug 26th, 2008 12:32 PM

I have not been to Buchenwald but I think there are significant differences between it and Terezin, which I have visited. Terezin was more of a "transport camp" and was the one the Nazis used to "fool" the Red Cross into thinking they were treating the Jews humanely. It was not an extermination camp; certainly many, many people lost their lives there (and there is a crematorium because of it) but most deaths were due to poor hygiene, malnutrition, spread of disease, etc. Some who were actual prisoners in the Small Fortress were tortured or shot or hung, but Terezin does not have gas chambers. Terezin does take a full day from Prague to do it justice. I hope this helps you decide.

Snowflake25 Aug 26th, 2008 08:00 PM

You might want to consider staying in Cesky Krumlov for the night and taking a shuttle to Linz and then train to Vienna (or check to see if there is a shuttle to Vienna). The drive from CK to Linz was spectacular and they took us to the train station. There are many B&B in CK and its worth the extra time spent there.

amp322 Aug 26th, 2008 09:23 PM

If you are particularly excited about Prague, then do NOT take away any nights there. A day trip to Cesky K sounds great. You could also add a trip to Kutna Hora/Sedlec (bone church), Terezin, and any # of other places. A day at the castle, a day in Josefov, a day in Old Town, a day exploring whatever else you want, mixed in with eating, concerts, galleries, etc is just scratching the surface. Glad you've added Bratislava in, also. Old Town is great, and you will probably get a good deal on meals, compared to other cities on your trip.

isabel Aug 27th, 2008 04:18 AM

If you are especially excited about Berlin and Prague then it sounds about right. I did five nights in Prague with a day trip to Cesky K and it was a good amount of time. I had four nights in Vienna and it was not enough, but if three is all you've got you'll still enjoy yourself. Same for Budapest, I had seven nights though I know that is more than most people spend there. With three you'll just get a taste. But it will be worth it.

In Budapest I highly (really highly) recommend Buda B&B. www.budabab.com/index.htm

My photos and trip report from my July trip are at:http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35152085

I did a more detailed review of the B&B there. I hope to get the Budapest part of the report done today.