Planning a trip to York/Yorkshire Dales

Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Planning a trip to York/Yorkshire Dales

My husband and I will be visiting England this May - we go back regularly to visit his family, and each time, try to take a few days to explore a new part of the country. This time, we will be going to York and the Yorkshire Dales (southeastern part).

I was planning to stay two nights in York, and then one night in the Dales, maybe around Grassington area - this would give us some flexibility, depending on weather, etc. to spend either two full days in the Dales, or spend more time in the City of York and a quick trip to the Dales.

I wanted to get some suggestions on two things - first, a lodging recommendation for the Dales - I'd like to pick a place that has character, good location, scenic, could be a B&B or hotel. I'd like to keep the total rate under 80 pounds for a night, but also not looking for the least expensive. I would also like to pick a location that is close to some good walks and scenery for casual exploring.

Which leads me to my second question - I see from a lot of web sites that there are plenty of walks in the area - can someone help me narrow them down?! My husband and I are fit, we don't mind exerting ourselves for a long walk (5-10 miles) but want something that can be done in a short day. Any "must see" walks, or what are your favorites??

While we are at it, I'd love to hear restaurant recommendations for City of York, too!

Thanks!
Rachel
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 06:35 AM

I live in Nidderdale, a beautiful Dale but not one of the most popular, meaning it is quiet! The scenery and walking is superb though, just as lovely as the better known areas. We sometimes walk all day there without seeing another person. A lovely base would be Pateley Bridge.
www.nidderdale.co.uk/pinbloom
Green lanes and footpaths radiate in every direction from this village, and it has an old world charm and a feel of time having passed it by. The Sportman's Arms, just outside the village, has roomS and does good food. More expensively so does the Yorke Arms at Ramsgill. If it is too expensive to stay at the Yorke Arms then do have a meal there as the food is absolutely superb.
www.yorke-arms.co.uk
www.nidderdale.co.uk/sportsmansarms
Alternatively you could consider staying in Grassington (Wharfedale) which is more touristy but still lovely. Again walks go in every direction.
Yorkshire net has lots of accommodation ideas which you can sort out by area. A nice idea is a farm stay bed and breakfast, often very good value.
www.yorkshirenet.co.uk
My favourite walk is around Scarhouse reservoir.
www.theaa.com/travel/details/walk/421257
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 06:39 AM

Meant to add, you may like to look at this walking site. Grassington Moor, Conistone Dib and Grimwith are all very close to the areas I have suggested above.
www.walkingenglishman.com/dales.htm
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 07:06 AM

Just my two cents...I passed through a lot of towns and did not care for Grassington. Way too touristy and not as charming as most others that I saw. The countryside is beautiful, just not a fan of the town.
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the comments - I was thinking that Grassington might be too "touristy" - while I like to have some amenities (i.e. a local pub!) I would rather avoid any late-spring crowds...