Planning a trip to Scotland and Ireland

Jan 20th, 2000, 04:02 PM
bridgette

Planning a trip to Scotland and Ireland

My husband and I are trying to plan a trip to Scotland and Ireland in August. We are looking for some good info on where to go,places to stay, and what to see. My husband is interested in playing golf, especially at St. Andrews. If anyone out there could help us out with some good web sites, books, or personnel experiences we would be very greatful. Also is the 1st part of August a good time to go, and is renting a car a good idea. Thanks

Jan 20th, 2000, 07:36 PM
Wendy

Bridgette: We took a family trip to Scotland in 1998. What a beautiful country! You will be awed. There is a wealth of information in the archives on this site. It helped me tremendously in planning our trip. Also, I found a site called The Internet Guide To Scotland at
ourworld.compuserve.com (without the www in the front) was very helpful. Have a great trip!

Jan 21st, 2000, 12:53 AM
hhansell

Edinburgh is a wonderful city! We loved touring the Edinburgh castle. We stayed in a nice B&B 10 minutes from the city center for 50 bucks a night including a full breakfast in the a.m.
It is called the Avondale Guest House and it was recommended in the Let's Go Guidebook. Bathrooms are shared. I don't know if this would be what you would be looking for in accomodations, but the price was right as well as the B&B. We took the Guide Friday Tour of the city which lasted an hour and a half. That was worth it we thought. We also enjoyed the Scotch Whiskey Heritage Center and the Camara Obscura.
Deacon Brodie's Tavern is a popular place to eat. Good luck on your trip!

Jan 21st, 2000, 01:10 AM
frank

The site Wendy suggests is solid gold.Also try www.b-and-b-scotland.co.uk
for bed & breakfast accomodation & www.hebrides.com. for hebridean islands & culture.I'm not a golfer,but there are probably Scottish golf sites.When planning the crossing between Ireland & Scotland, the options are many -slow boat between Stranraer & Larne, fast catamaran Belfast& Larne (Seacat), boat/cat (not sure) Campbelltown& Northern Ireland,cheap flights between
Prestwick (Scotland) & Ireland from Ryanair.I always think hiring a car is the last resort as it cuts you off from people & experiences.Try to do as much as possible by train & bus, use a car for a few days of touring remote places.
Bring waterproofs.If you like the countyside bring mosquito netting.

Jan 21st, 2000, 02:05 PM
Sheila

Bridgette

You are past the booking time (I think)for the Old Course. This is the short notice procedure.

For September this year you can only now get a tee by going through the Daily ballot procedure. You phone the links committee on 01334 466666 the day before you want to play before 2pm (For Mondays you phone on Saturdays)

You tell them the names of the golfers and their handicaps. (If you are picked you will have to show handicap certificates) and you tell them your home clubs.

The ballot is then picked at random. They have on average 12-15 slots available per day.

The cost is 75 per round and the rounds are available for 2- 4 players

they have a web site which from memory starts something like www.standrews.something.

Other great places to play golf are:-
Gullane, Carnoustie, Royal Aberdeen, Cruden Bay, Nairn, Royal Dornoch, Machrie (on Islay), Royal Troon, Rosemount, Gleneagles, Newmachar.

Golf is very popular. every townhas a course, or a few courses, and most villages do too. With the exception of the famous courses,it's verychep to play here. The Tourist Board (Aberdeen and Grampian) here run a golf ticket. package for visitors. There are 3 championship courses within 10 miles of my home and another 3 within 20 miles. Your husband, at least, will love it.

If you're going to stay in Fife-St Andrews-I would suggest staying in one of the lovely little villages on the coast- Crail, St Monans, Leven, Lundin Links, Anstruthe, Pittenweem and commute in. Ther's lots to see and do in StAndrews and Fife, without playing golf.

If you give some indication of what else you like, I'll try to point out other nice things to do.

Probably June is the best time of year; but August will be fine. we never get tropical weather so the comment about waterproofs is well made- but you don't need sweaters in great numbers. Anyway, woolen goods are cheaper here than in the US, so buy when you get here.

Frank is right about a car separating you from the people but we don't have the greatest public transport system so,especially if you want to go into the Highlands, a car for at least part of your trip would b ea good idea.

Let me know what else interests you for more pointers