Planning a trip to Italy

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 03:45 PM
Eric

Planning a trip to Italy

I am currently in the process of planning a trip to Italy. After hours of researching and reading the posts on this site I have come up with the following hotel choices. I would appreciate some feedback.<BR><BR>What I'm looking for: <BR>-Friendly service<BR>-A comfortable, nice looking room (but it doesn't need to be over the top)<BR>-Within walking distance of the major sites<BR>-Nothing too American<BR><BR>ROME<BR>-Inn At The Spanish Steps<BR>-Hotel Scalinata di Spagna<BR>-Hotel Piranesi<BR><BR>VENICE<BR>-Grand Hotel Dei Dogi<BR><BR>FLORENCE<BR>-Beacci Tornabuoni<BR><BR>I am looking to keep the hotel under $375 a night.<BR><BR>Thanks!

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 04:03 PM
Eric Rothrock

I forgot to mention I was also considering Hotel Cesari in Rome.<BR><BR>Thanks.

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 04:12 PM
jparis

It was funny that you added the Hotel Cesari because that was the one I was going to recommend. Our family stayed there last year (around this time) and we were very happy there. The location is PERFECT - right near Pantheon, Piazza Navona, Trevi Fountain. Our room which slept 4 was about $300, so I can't imagine a single room would be more. This also included a very decent breakfast buffet in the morning in a very tiny room, but plenty to eat. In fact, this evening we were just looking at our pictures from Italy saying how much we liked the hotel. The staff was very helpful as well.

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 04:16 PM
Rex

I have repeatedly championed the Cesari. I also consider Albergo del Senato pretty much its equal.<BR><BR>I don't know your choice in Venice, but I think that Bonvecchiati would satisfy most people and fall easily under your price limit.<BR><BR>Don't know Beacci Tornabuoni, but no hotel has better ratings on Fodors Rants'n'Raves.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 09:18 PM

to the top<BR>

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 07:43 AM
Elspeth

I visited Florence for 10 days in September, and stayed at the Hotel Maxim. You probably won't find it in many guide books, but I don't know why. It is on Via Calzuoni, a pedestrianised street running between the Piazza del Duomo and the Piazza della Signoria - you can't get more central! Best of all it was only about $80-90 per night for a twin room. It isn't fancy, but the service is excellent, the hotel quaint, and the central location is a big winner. They also have reasonably priced internet access in the lobby.