Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Planning a Trip to Europe next August for daughter's birthday
Notices

Planning a Trip to Europe next August for daughter's birthday

Aug 2nd, 2013, 06:47 PM
Original Poster

Planning a Trip to Europe next August for daughter's birthday

so about to start planning a trip to my daughter's dream place for her 20th birthday.......

We want to do London, Paris and Italy -- we are only going to have about 2 - 2 1/2 weeks......

Now I am coming to this Forum first because as we speak I am on a trip to Costa Rica and I wished I would have come here first to get opinions and ideas..........I don't want to use a travel agent -- but wouldn't be opposed to doing a tour type thing. IT will be myself, my husband, my daughter and her friend.............

Any and all suggestions are welcome..............

Thank you in advance.
Christine
Aug 2nd, 2013, 09:21 PM

Early or late August? It will be very hot in Italy and much of Italy takes vacation in August. If your trip is more towards the end of the month, I would put Italy last hoping that it starts to cool down a bit by then.

Fly to London - 4 days
Train to Paris - 4-5 days
Easy Jet flight Paris Orly to Rome or Venice (where do you want to go?) for the remainder of your time.
Fly home from Italy
Aug 2nd, 2013, 09:54 PM

Is this a first trip to Europe?... You can not go wrong with London, Paris, and Rome... But tons to see, so stretch to the longest trip you can (2.5 weeks would be good).

Any chance you can avoid August?.. June would be much better for me (cooler, fewer crowds, better prices).

I am thinking apartments would be good... For under a week, I use www.airbnb.com
Of course, be careful when selecting... Carefully read reviews, look very closely at pictures.
Aug 2nd, 2013, 10:02 PM

First forget tours. Then decide where in Italy you want to go. London, Paris, Rome for a first trip to Europe is as centraleurope suggests, a good first trip.

Limiting moves increases time IN places and allows for a much more relaxed trip and a chance to get a decent feel for the places you do visit. Otherwise, it's the typical 'If it's Tuesday, this must be Belgium', tick off the list and see little of anything tour.

Search this Thread