Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Moving from Chicago, IL, USA to London, England. HELP!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24th, 2013, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In just a couple of months, my husband and I will be making a very big move to London, England from Chicago, IL, USA. My husband went to London a few months ago for a business trip, and now we are moving out there for his job. We both have current US passports. I have a lot of questions and concerns regarding moving overseas that I'm hoping someone out there can help answer or at least point me in the direction of where I can find more information on what my concerns or questions are. Here goes:

1) I'm mainly concerned with upside-down car loans and student loans. What should we do about those loans while overseas?

2) His company is paying for our flight to England, then they are paying for furnished housing out there for 1-2 years while he works. (yes, I know, that's pretty lucky) Aside from clothes and toiletries, what else should we bring with us?

3) I will want to get a job when we move there. Will I need to apply for some kind of work visa or something?

4) What is the best means of communication with friends and family that will still be in Chicago while we're overseas? I tried Skype while my husband was out there a few months ago and it was very slow and delayed, and we even lost our connection several times. Anything better that anyone knows of?

5) We have 2 cats that are getting up there in age. I'm concerned about such a big move for them because both of them are over 10 years old. Anyone ever made this move with pets before? Is it going to traumatize them? Would it be better for us to find them a good home before we leave? (Please be serious about this one. Those cats are my babies!)

6) How does health insurance work out there?

7) What are the hospitals like?

8) If one were to become pregnant while in England even though they're a US citizen, if they have their baby in England, does that baby automatically become an English citizen? (We're going through fertility treatments right now, so this could be our reality next year)

9) What are some fun things to do in England that don't cost a lot of money?

10) Is there a website similar to yelp.com in England? (Yelp is a site that people rate places they've been. ie. restaurants, museums, theme parks, etc.) If so, what is it?

11) Something similar to Groupon.com in England?(Groupon is a site that offers discounted deals for things that are otherwise almost twice the price of the deal. The deals only go through if enough people sign up for it. Hence the 'group' part of the word coupon. Get it?) If so, what is it?

Thank you for any information you can provide for us. We're moving sometime in October. I am looking forward to this adventure, but I want to be as prepared as possible for it so I don't get stressed out. Thanks for all your help!
Old Jul 24th, 2013, 08:33 AM

Congratulations! This is a big move but an exciting one, I hope. Does your husband's company have relocation agents? Often companies who transfer people internationally have people whose job it is to help with questions like these.

If you and your family members have Apple products (iPhones, iPads or I think the newer laptops will also work), you can use FaceTime. It's similar to Skype.

Yelp is international. There are a couple of threads here about inexpensive ways to eat or sightsee in London - you can use the search box at the top to find them. London Walks (walks.com) is great and inexpensive, and Londontown.com is a good resource too.
Old Jul 24th, 2013, 08:37 AM

Can't give you much advice except to say London is an awesome city!! Will you live in London or on the outskirts? How lucky you both are.

If you know you will only be there for two years I would think about leaving the cats with someone you know & trust. If you do take them you might find want to check out about quarantine requirements (if there are any).
Old Jul 24th, 2013, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Yes, we are very excited about this big move, thank you, Jent! I have anxiety disorder, and I don't want to have a bunch of panic attacks because of poor planning on my part. My husband's job does have a person that is doing all these things you mentioned. But I have to rely on him to get my questions answered, and I haven't had any of my questions answered yet. He's a great guy, but he can sometimes be wishy-washy when it comes to getting something done that I asked him to do. Hopefully someone or several someones on here can give me more information. Thanks again for your info.
Old Jul 24th, 2013, 08:45 AM

<<<If you and your family members have Apple products (iPhones, iPads or I think the newer laptops will also work), you can use FaceTime. It's similar to Skype.>>>

We've used both Skype (iphone/ipad from SE Asia to US computers and cell phones) and Facetime (iphone/ipad between US and Holland/Turkey) and found Facetime somewhat more reliable (less jumpy).
Old Jul 24th, 2013, 08:53 AM

While you could get some answers here Kendall, this is primarily a travel forum, not an expat forum. I suggest you post on some forums more relevant to your questions. There are several specific US expat in the UK forums.

http://www.google.ca/search?site=&so...56.LaD96qq-nOU

Now a few quick comments. Presumably, his employer is arranging your visas for you both. Just make sure you are allowed to work. The employer should be arranging this, so you should not need to do anything (other than provide them any relevant info. ie. you may need to apply for a Criminal history report as they can't do that for you. You would then provide it to them to include when they apply for visas for your husband and yourself.)

Skype generally works well. My wife uses it to speak with family friends in the UK all the time. Get those you will want to talk with to also sign up as Skype to Skype is free. If you have an iPad, Apple's 'Facetime' is also free if you and the other party both have it.

Check on UK pet admisson rules. http://www.defra.gov.uk/ahvla-en/imports-exports/pets/

Re health coverage. There will be an initial period before your husband and yourself are covered under the National Health Service in the UK. He should ask his employer about that and whether they will be providing you both with private coverage during that period. Once you are eligble for NHS you can expect any and all healthcare to be covered including child birth.

Opinions on the quality of NHS care vary. In general though I would say it is adequate and not something to really worry about.

Re baby's citizenship. I believe you would be able to apply for British Citizenship for a baby born during your time there. If you can, I would. Both the USA and the UK allow dual citizenship so there is nothing to lose and it might be useful later in life for your son/daughter to have that citizenship. http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/br...izen/borninuk/

Fun things to do, much the same as in the USA. Really not a question for which there is a short answer.

http://www.yelp.co.uk/

http://www.groupon.co.uk/

I would urge you to go to some expat forums Kendall. I'm not an expert. You should find plenty of people who have made the move and can advise further.
Old Jul 24th, 2013, 08:58 AM

Honestly, your husband's employer should be handling all of this. But yes, check out the expat forums; this forum is for travel, and your situation is beyond that.

But to answer one question, of course a child born in the UK to American expats isn't going to be a UK citizen. He/she will be American.

As for Skype, I'm not sure why you had problems with it. I use it all the time to communicate with people in Europe, Africa, and elsewhere in the USA. Never had any glitches with it at all.

Sounds very exciting all around!
Old Jul 24th, 2013, 09:02 AM

<i> I believe you would be able to apply for British Citizenship for a baby born during your time there.</i>

Only if one or more of the parents gain British citizenship - in most cases (except naturalisation) citizenship of any country (except the US) is based on the citizenship of the parents and where they were living at the time of birth
Old Jul 24th, 2013, 09:02 AM

<i>3) I will want to get a job when we move there. Will I need to apply for some kind of work visa or something?</i>
In the majority of cases (there are a few exceptions), a non-EU citizen cannot work in the UK unless they possess exceptional skills which enable them to garner enough points in the UKBA's evaluation system, or a UK employer agrees to sponsor the person. Just as in the USA (for fairly obvious reasons) you can't just turn up and try to find work. All the details are on:- http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/vi...ation/working/. You may have to accept that you'll not be able to work AT ALL during your husband's posting to the UK.

<i>7) What are the hospitals like? </i>
Well, NHS hospitals are free for all UK residents which is a big improvement on the US situation. There are regular stories in the UK media about poor NHS care, but (as someone with considerable first hand experience) generally the care and technical skills of the NHS are good to excellent.

<i>8) If one were to become pregnant while in England even though they're a US citizen, if they have their baby in England, does that baby automatically become an English citizen? </i>
Not automatically as you will only be here for a limited time. Check the rules on:- http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/br...izen/borninuk/.

<i>11) Something similar to Groupon.com in England?</i>
It's here as well, along with several other equivelent sites.
Old Jul 24th, 2013, 09:54 AM

A couple of notes:

You just can;t move there with a passport - your husband will need a work visa (his company needs to arrange that)

I don;t know if you will be allowed to work there or not - that is something his company (whatever agent they provide to supervise the process for you - will be able to tell you - but generally if you are not a citizen you aren;t allowed to work without a lengthy, complicated and often unsuccessful process)

I would assume his company would provide private health insurance - since as non citizens you would not be covered under the National Health plan - at least at first. Also, if you are used to care on demand with any MD you choose you will want private insurance.

No, any child born there is not a citizen - that is true of the US but not of very many other countries - children take the citizenship of their parents

Cost of living is going to be significantly higher than Chicago - and residences are usually smaller than in the US

I really think you need to get hooked up with his company's support group as soon as possible - to get some of this sorted out. If that person isn't helping get a couple of face to face meetings - with you sending your specific questions in advance - since only that person knows what benefits your husband's company is offering - assume he will get a housing allowance, a cost of living allowance, etc.

You may also want to look for web sites of american ex-pats in England
Old Jul 24th, 2013, 10:06 AM

I think if OP's a dependant of someone on a working visa, she hersef willprobably be on a visa allowing her to work.

I would sggest asking the company if the provided housing will allow the cats - lots of rented accommodation doesn't.

The one issue for the OP with the NHS is with the fertility treatment (unless already pregnant on arrival), as this is an area with patchy coverage. You might like to see if your company will provide private insurance/coverage specifically for this.

Some basic info on that here:

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Inferti...Treatment.aspx

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/IVF/Pag...roduction.aspx
Old Jul 24th, 2013, 10:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"I think if OP's a dependant of someone on a working visa, she hersef will probably be on a visa allowing her to work."

Wrong.

You might find this helpful:

http://moon.com/books/moon-living-abroad-in-london/

Also this TR;
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...going-tale.cfm

and this blog:
http://beachbums1.com/category/london/
Old Jul 24th, 2013, 10:25 AM

Have a look at http://www.americanexpats.co.uk/forum/index.php for help. It's worth paying the registration fee as it's a very supportive forum run by an American expat for American expats in the UK. Whatever your question or concern, you'll find someone on there who has been through it before.
Old Jul 24th, 2013, 10:27 AM

A colleague of mine moved to the UK to marry a British citizen and still had to go through a quite onerous process in order to be allowed to hold a job there.

Unless your husband's company is also giving you a job I think you chance of getting one is very small. I hope you are not planning on a second income for living expenses.
Old Jul 24th, 2013, 10:48 AM

>>I'm mainly concerned with upside-down car loans and student loans. What should we do about those loans while overseas?<<

If you have loans, you'll need to keep paying them off. Sell the cars and see what you can do to pay off the rest of the loans. Dave Ramsey www.daveramsey.com has really helpful advice for getting out of debt, including when you're upside-down on a loan.

Have fun!

Lee Ann
Old Jul 24th, 2013, 10:52 AM

"I think if OP's a dependant of someone on a working visa, she hersef will probably be on a visa allowing her to work."

Wrong.

Then the official government site is also wrong. I think this improbable.

As OP's husband is going to be here for relatively short period (1-2 years), working for his current employer, I would expect him to be on a Tier 2 Intra-company transfer visa. Dependants of people on that type of visa may work:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/vi...andconditions/
Old Jul 24th, 2013, 11:02 AM

Yes, but this info has to come from the husband's company person making the arrangements. We don;t know what those are - or specific conditions.
Old Jul 24th, 2013, 11:26 AM

1) there is a free forum called UK.yankees.com

2) re: upside down car loans - interesting British fact - cars have to be the right way up here, even if you pay cash.

3) Your child won't be English. Interesting fact # 2 there is no such thing as an "English citizen" , British citizen yes, but England isn't a nation state. Ditto Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

4) Interesting fact # 3 there hasn't been a King or Queen of England since the 17th century despite the US news coverage of late about the birth of the future King of England.

Confusing but fun.
Old Jul 24th, 2013, 11:44 AM

1) I'm mainly concerned with upside-down car loans and student loans. What should we do about those loans while overseas?

Pay them off. You might want to sell the car now - it will only lose value.

2) His company is paying for our flight to England, then they are paying for furnished housing out there for 1-2 years while he works. (yes, I know, that's pretty lucky) Aside from clothes and toiletries, what else should we bring with us?

Electronic stuff you normally use (computers, iJunk). . .

3) I will want to get a job when we move there. Will I need to apply for some kind of work visa or something?

Yes.

4) What is the best means of communication with friends and family that will still be in Chicago while we're overseas?

Facetime. There are others.

5) We have 2 cats that are getting up there in age. I'm concerned about such a big move for them because both of them are over 10 years old. . .

You should try to find them homes. We'd not want to move overseas and try to drag our fluffheads with us (8.5 and 17).

6) How does health insurance work out there?

It's nationalized healthcare, with private options.

7) What are the hospitals like?

Depends. In London, you should be ok in terms of access to decent care, but the US healthcare system may have complex payment rules but has better care.

8) If one were to become pregnant . . .

Your kid to be is an American bc born to American parents. Whether the UK law makes him/her a brit is a different issue.

9) What are some fun things to do in England that don't cost a lot of money?

You have your pick of at least 10-15 excellent museums in London, for starters, that do not charge admission fees. It's free to visit Speakers Corner on Sundays and listen to insane people rant.
Old Jul 24th, 2013, 11:52 AM

<i>It's free to visit Speakers Corner on Sundays and listen to insane people rant.</i>

They could just keep logging on here

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -