Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   planning a trip to europe in june (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/planning-a-trip-to-europe-in-june-579469/)

eurotrip06 Jan 6th, 2006 07:28 PM

planning a trip to europe in june

Hi we are planning a trip to europe this june for one month. we are a family of five and we have three teens. we want to do this as cheaply as possible which I am discovering isn't very easy. I would welcome any suggestions. especially in the area of sleeping accomodations. we have looked into hostels but for five the prices are about as high as a hotel so I have since stopped looking there and am focusing on perhaps staying in hotels outside of the major cities we are going to and then taking the train in since we would have the use of the train thru rail passes for the time we are in each country. I welcome any suggestions thankyou

Jean Jan 6th, 2006 07:39 PM

Let us in on the secret... What are the cities you're going to?

Betsy Jan 6th, 2006 07:50 PM

When you've completed your itinerary, go to www.railsaver.com and type it into the form on the site to determine whether rail passes or point-to-point tickets would be more cost effective. Make sure you select the "only if it saves me money" option. Unless you're on the train almost every day, point-to-point tickets may be a better option.

eurotrip06 Jan 6th, 2006 08:08 PM

I will check on the rail passes vs. point to point thanks. Also sorry I didn't put in the countries cities. We are still a bit unsure but one definate is Denmark Copenhagan since my daughter spent a year there as a rotary exchange student. We are also considering Munich Germany, Brussels Belgium, London England matter of fact that is where we are planning on flying into. Also in consideration is Paris France since I ha ve family there. Finally Prague Czech Republic. Thank you

eurotrip06 Jan 6th, 2006 11:06 PM

Thank you so much for the rail saver site and recommendations Betsy your information is going to save us at least 700 to 800$ Thank YOu!! Also I am wondering has anyone had any experience with easyjet? I have found that it would save us a ton by not taking the chunnel out of London and instead flying out of Stansted airport to amsterdam Netherlands. Finally if anyone has any more suggestions for cities to see in Europe I would welcome there suggestions. As well as any and all suggestions on how to save a buck while travelling Thank you!!

janisj Jan 6th, 2006 11:36 PM

No matter which cities you choose - you will save a TON of mony renting a flat instead of suites or 2 rooms in hotels.

A 1 or 2 bedroomed apartment in Paris for instance will come w/ a livingroon w/ sofabed(s), kitchen, bdrm(s) and at least 1 full bath but often a seperate water closet too. And the total can be less than €100 a night.

Same goes for London - lots of large 1-bdrm or small-ish 2-bdrm flats for £100 a night give or take.

For a family a flat is definitely the way to go. Not only cheaper and more space - but also the advantage of a kitchen and a washer/dryer (BIG plus w/ kids)

Ida101 Jan 7th, 2006 02:40 AM

if you go to The Netherlands check this:
http://www.stayokay.com/index.cfm?&lng=2

Betsy Jan 7th, 2006 07:11 AM

Happy to be helpful! A question: How did you determine the savings when you don't yet have your itinerary in place?

suze Jan 7th, 2006 08:14 AM

As far as other "cities to see in Europe", I think you have plenty on your wish list for a one month trip:
You mentioned 6 places...
London
Copenhagen
Munich
Brussels
Paris
Prague

Especially if you go the apartment route you will likely want to stay in each city 5-7 days.

I am glad you are researching other alternative to a rail pass. People seem to think this is a great money saver when most often it is not. Especially if you aren't traveling every single day and if you combine use of budget airlines for some legs.