Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

planning a trip to bavaria, austria, and switzerland and we don't speak the language at all. Will we have a problem?

Search

planning a trip to bavaria, austria, and switzerland and we don't speak the language at all. Will we have a problem?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2007, 03:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have been to Italy and France and never had a problem as most people there speak English and also we can speak a little Italian and my wife can speak French. This will be our first trip to Germany and we don't know what to expect.
dave
Old Jun 9th, 2007, 03:21 AM

Hi DinPa,

I found English spoken in hotels, restaurants, and shops in Bavaria. Not so much the man on the street --

In Switzerland, I only found one man who didn't speak English.

Yes yes I know -- I need to hit the books and learn my German.

s
Old Jun 9th, 2007, 03:23 AM

Try to learn some words and phrases. You don't have to know a lot, but it shows people you did make the effort and they appreciate that. We've not had any real problem. We've had laughs at our expense and laughed at ourselves also. Many people speak at least some English, especially those that deal with tourists.
Old Jun 9th, 2007, 03:29 AM

We've never had a problem in Germany although we speak only a little german.

You may be surprised to find how many German terms and words you can actually "decipher" since some of them are closely related to English.

You may also find that there are people there who will welcome the opportunity to converse with you in English as it gives them conversational opportunities they don't always have readily available.
Old Jun 9th, 2007, 03:31 AM

No.

But as Norrisken recommends, learn some phrases and try to get at least some familiarity with the language, The effort will pay great rewards as I'm sure you've already discovered with the Italian and French folks.

MvK
Old Jun 9th, 2007, 03:35 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
It's been my experience that the Swiss speak better English than I do, and English is my native tongue.

Old Jun 9th, 2007, 03:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They've had a good teacher.
Old Jun 9th, 2007, 03:38 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Touche Schuler!
Old Jun 9th, 2007, 03:47 AM
Original Poster

Thank you to all for your responses. We will try to learn some basics before we go. And as always, a pleasant thank you and smile can go a long way. Have a nice day all!

dave
Old Jun 9th, 2007, 08:21 AM

My general finding is that if a German knows only a few words of English, he or she will try to help. However, I have found quite a few Germans who were very fluent in English.

Fortunately, I can use some weak German when I must to get necessities.

In Austria, the number of people who speak at least a little English seems to me to be fairly high.

In Vienna, I was surprised on several occasions not so much by the fact that the people spoke English but by the level of competency.

I remember several occasions when my weak German was not called upon. At Das Haus der Musik, a young man explained to me in excellent English how to try my hand at conducting an orchestra in front of a simulator. (Hopeless,)

At the Volksoper, we had paid for tickets in advance. The lobby is small and the ticket windows are limited in number. A young man was out front with a folder full of will-call tickets.
Before I even asked, he pulled my tickets out and handed them to me with a quick "Enjoy the performance Mr. Brown."

He saw me coming and did not even need to ask.

That incident also convinced me of how foolish it is to think I can blend in with the locals. We get all these questions on that subject and by in large they strike me as being somewhat naive. I have learned that I cannot disguise my origins, so why even try.

As a further example. My wife is of direct Irish ancestry. She herself never lived in Ireland, but the gene pool is Irish. Even she cannot fool anybody in Ireland, particularly after she says "Hello."
Old Jun 9th, 2007, 08:50 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Visit the French speaking part of Switzerland and let your wife handle things!
Old Jun 9th, 2007, 09:01 AM

"You may be surprised to find how many German terms and words you can actually "decipher" since some of them are closely related to English".

No wonder, many English words come from old Germanic language

"You may also find that there are people there who will welcome the opportunity to converse with you in English as it gives them conversational opportunities they don't always have readily available"

That's very cute though I'm not sure being stopped in the streey by an hapless tourist asking for directions to the station and telling him : "turn right or left at the next crossing" really gives me an opportunity to practise English!

Let's say that if locals answer in English it is because they want to make sure they are being understood. They don't rely on tourists to practise English !!!

Old Jun 9th, 2007, 09:58 AM

If still in the planning stage, take a beginning language course at the local community college - you'll be amazed at the way improved experience and the way you are treated.
M