Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Planning 20th anniversary 1st trip to Italy Feb 2017.

Old Oct 24th, 2016, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're planning our 20th annivarsarry trip. This will be our first time in Italy. We have 10 days exclusive of travel. We're both active and have an historical bent. We will see Rome for sure, and my husband wants to visit a Mediterranean sea town too, But where else- we're open minded. I think we'll need a package deal to do what we want: Local guides with time on our own, hotels, and travel pre planned, Any suggestions of companies that fit the bill?
Old Oct 24th, 2016, 07:05 AM

Italy is very easy, VERY easy. First you really need to determine where you want to go. Even if you choose Rome, Florence and Venice, plus your sea town, there goes your 10 days. My opinion is you really just need your places to visit, hotel and transportation between each. Of course if you travel with more than a carryon and need help with luggage, that could be an issue.

I'm 65+, traveling for over 50 years, most recently by myself as my husband is done traveling and travel only with 1 purse and 1 carryon. Truth be told i am very, very anal so always know almost by how many steps to get from one place to another. But even if you want a tour, you will have to know where you want to go and what you want to see once you get there.

Remember also, that with going in Feb, some places of interest might have limited hours and Italy is terrible for odd opening and closed days. Also, the weather, if you are by your selves you can somewhat adjust what you do where by you can hit the museums inside on a bad day and leave the walking outside to another day if possible.

You can also stay in some great, quaint, historic accommodations like I do. Not a Hilton, HI kinda gal on my travels. Hotels still have charm, amenities and mod cons but not sterile.

regards.
Old Oct 24th, 2016, 05:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Jan47ete!
Old Oct 26th, 2016, 03:17 PM

In Rome, take a look at hiring Daniella Hunt as a guide. We used her for Villa d'Este and Hadrian's Villa. She is excellent and so much fun. Walks of Italy does some great tours, especially their Pristine Sistine tour. They take small groups of about 12 or so. We also did a day trip to Orvieto from Rome and had a wonderful day there.

We loved Albergo del Senato next to the Pantheon. They have a lovely rooftop bar in warm weather (I think it closes at the end of September). Rooms on the front of the hotel have a Pantheon view and the staff is great. Great hotel.

not sure a seaside town will be great in February.

You can easily do this on your own. You will get plenty of advice here, the train system is easy to use...you can put together the trip you really want.
Old Oct 26th, 2016, 03:44 PM

If your husband was thinking seaside Med town for cafe sitting outside to enjoy pretty weather and nice views, you are unlikely to get that in Feb in Italy. Put your trip off until very late April or better yet, May for that.